Sponsored

Track Time Limited due to High CHT

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
It looks like two gauges from the front but once you take the bezel off you’ll see the oil pressure and vac gauges are one unit. Not two separate gauges.
Sponsored

Reactions: GTP

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 A10, 1967 Fastback 460ci+
Watch my tach and road speed as I get to 6th on the back straight at Gingerman. There does not seem to be any hesitation, and the car still seems to pull towards 7000rpm.
This was Aug 1st, and the first day with the new oil cooler.

And another one

Thanks for the videos. I checked my log data and the fuel/throttle pull back occurs in the 6800-6900 range. I checked my tune file and it says max rpm limit in 6th is 7000 but not sure if this limit is modified by something.

What rear tire diameter are your running?

Per my calcs, 305/30/19, 26.2” dia, 6900 rpm, 6th gear, speed =119.3 mph

Stock tire, 275/40/19, 27.7” dia, 6900 rpm, 6th gear, speed =126.1 mph

Looking at your videos, max speed in 6th was 123-124 from what I can tell. So if you have stock dia tire, that is right before fuel/throttle cut back.

Note that I originally thought that this 6th gear issue was unique to the stock “no frills” info display/modes. But other Forum members indicated that they have same 6th gear issue with the upgraded display and sport/track modes. Not sure if any of them had that “high end” instrument panel that you have, though. Does OEM change setting with that upgrade? ... don’t know.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have A10, 3.55:1, 275/40-19.

It looks like 123/124mph at 6900-7000 in 6th. This was at Gingerman Aug 1. The car did not seem to be limited, although this is right at the cusp of the issue.

I will review and post a video from 8/27 with the symptom at Putnam ASAP.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
It looks like two gauges from the front but once you take the bezel off you’ll see the oil pressure and vac gauges are one unit. Not two separate gauges.
Did you mount your gauge in one of the large vents? I prefer not to do that.
I believe LMR sells an Autometer A-pillar mount for a single gauge.

https://lmr.com/item/ATM-12135/mustang-autometer-a-pillar-gauge-pod-15-17-12135
It is sinking in about the gauge challenges. Since the dual OEM gauges can't be split, then we are faced with
  • GT350 dual oil press/temp (expensive and not actual oil temp),
  • Oil temp in the large vent (kinda kludgie look),
  • A-pillar mount (also kludgie and expensive piece of plastic).
Is it quick and easy to pop the gauge in and out of the large vent?

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
It is sinking in about the gauge challenges. Since the dual OEM gauges can't be split, then we are faced with
  • GT350 dual oil press/temp (expensive and not actual oil temp),
  • Oil temp in the large vent (kinda kludgie look),
  • A-pillar mount (also kludgie and expensive piece of plastic).
Is it quick and easy to pop the gauge in and out of the large vent?
Keep the gauges as close together as you can, as close to your line of sight out windshield as you can, and as far away as you can still quickly read.

The last thing you want to be doing is scanning from a pillar to cluster, to center vent gauges to get a full view of temps and pressures.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Keep the gauges as close together as you can, as close to your line of sight out windshield as you can, and as far away as you can still quickly read.

The last thing you want to be doing is scanning from a pillar to cluster, to center vent gauges to get a full view of temps and pressures.
This ^^
I find it challenging to check pp1 gauges, they are completely out of line of sight. Instead, I mount the phone next to A pillar and put what's available from obd dongle on the screen. That way it's close enough to center dashboard. I would rather pay once for a piece of plastic, but have the gauges in a right place.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, well my mindset is to check only one gauge of interest and typically only halfway down the main straight. So distraction is not an issue for me. An A pillar mount is no problem for me.

Lately only CHT has been of interest while on track. Temperatures generally change slowly. CHT might be the only exception.

I look at everything else on the cool down lap or in the paddock.

Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Hmm, well my mindset is to check only one gauge of interest and typically only halfway down the main straight. So distraction is not an issue for me. An A pillar mount is no problem for me.

Lately only CHT has been of interest while on track. Temperatures generally change slowly. CHT might be the only exception.

I look at everything else on the cool down lap or in the paddock.
Also orient your temp gauges so that when the needle is vertical that's your max acceptable temp. That way you can glance and as long as the needle is not past the 12 o'clock position you're good. You're not bothered to try and read the actual number on the gauge.

For pressure gauges get the biggest brightest warning light you can and you can rely on that to hopefully avoid catastrophic failure. Otherwise you can prob just check once per session near redline when your EOT is near peak to see you still have sufficient pressure. At least that's what I do.

The issue with putting gauges directly in your line of sight is that they obstruct your forward view. Maybe acceptably, maybe not, depending on the install and number of gauges. So placement is also a tradeoff.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Also orient your temp gauges so that when the needle is vertical that's your max acceptable temp. That way you can glance and as long as the needle is not past the 12 o'clock position you're good. You're not bothered to try and read the actual number on the gauge.

For pressure gauges get the biggest brightest warning light you can and you can rely on that to hopefully avoid catastrophic failure. Otherwise you can prob just check once per session near redline when your EOT is near peak to see you still have sufficient pressure. At least that's what I do.

The issue with putting gauges directly in your line of sight is that they obstruct your forward view. Maybe acceptably, maybe not, depending on the install and number of gauges. So placement is also a tradeoff.
“Close to” but definitely not “directly in” your line of sight.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Yeah sometimes it seems that these companies think that if they just throw up a good picture on a basic product page then stuff will just sell easily.

I just bought a Bluetooth keyboard off Amazon. I had to call the vendor first just to find out its dimensions!

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You are saying that Red (Oil 280F) calculated is 234 in Real life ? However most important question is what are your CHT temps as this is what is really important.
back at the track yesterday with 82 deg ambiant temp and had CHT of 234 with coolant and oil temps on real gauges at 220 ECT and 229 EOT.
Sponsored