Track Time Limited due to High CHT

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Well this is the first oil change after the original install. So that is why I've been wondering.

No way am I disconnecting any of the new lines for this. What a pain that would be!

I suppose an inline drain cock in one of the lines is a possibility. It would be accessible behind the fender liner. Which could be done when switching out wheel sets.

I guess you guys with the top ported vertical coolers don't get all the old oil out either huh?
I just excessively change with Kirklandā€™s finest 5w30
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Well this is the first oil change after the original install. So that is why I've been wondering.

No way am I disconnecting any of the new lines for this. What a pain that would be!

I suppose an inline drain cock in one of the lines is a possibility. It would be accessible behind the fender liner. Which could be done when switching out wheel sets.

I guess you guys with the top ported vertical coolers don't get all the old oil out either huh?
You are worrying too much. There is always some oil left in the engine. No big deal

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Well, ducting + rad spray system + racelouvers + opened lower grille = success so far :handsinair:

On a 80F degree day, CHT's were fluctuating between 200F - 215F. Highest I've seen was 220F. Was shifting at 6k RPM, still more than enough power with SC for my skill level and I was passing most cars in my group. I'm all set now for the rest of the year. I think I'll get Roush max cooling kit for next year, really like the idea of additional rads on the sides.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Track day at Putnam Saturday with 1010ths. About 84F. First time with four 30 min sessions and one 20 min session.

No problem with overheating and driving hard all session long. Or was there?

This is a mostly 4th gear lap with A10 upshifts to 5th 6th and briefly to 7th on the straight. I hit the paddle at 7k each gear. But the car hesitated in 6th gear approaching 120mph. I had to shift to 7th at 6500 to overcome this. I wondered if this was some sort of program quirk. But later I wished I had looked down at the CHT gauge display. Of course that is the worst point of the lap to be checking something.

Because as someone else reported in this thread, it could be the CHT was increasing on the straightaway and up to the temp that limits rpm.

CHT was always 228 on the cool down lap.

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 A10, 1967 Fastback 460ci+
Well, ducting + rad spray system + racelouvers + opened lower grille = success so far :handsinair:

On a 80F degree day, CHT's were fluctuating between 200F - 215F. Highest I've seen was 220F. Was shifting at 6k RPM, still more than enough power with SC for my skill level and I was passing most cars in my group. I'm all set now for the rest of the year. I think I'll get Roush max cooling kit for next year, really like the idea of additional rads on the sides.
Great results @tosha. Congrats. I bet those sprayers are the ticket with the SC heat exchanger adding all kinds of heat.

Sponsored

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Track day at Putnam Saturday with 1010ths. About 84F. First time with four 30 min sessions and one 20 min session.

No problem with overheating and driving hard all session long. Or was there?

This is a mostly 4th gear lap with A10 upshifts to 5th 6th and briefly to 7th on the straight. I hit the paddle at 7k each gear. But the car hesitated in 6th gear approaching 120mph. I had to shift to 7th at 6500 to overcome this. I wondered if this was some sort of program quirk. But later I wished I had looked down at the CHT gauge display. Of course that is the worst point of the lap to be checking something.

Because as someone else reported in this thread, it could be the CHT was increasing on the straightaway and up to the temp that limits rpm.

CHT was always 228 on the cool down lap.
Looks like good progress, GTP. Congrats. Better than the 240 numbers you were running before. Any idea on your oil temps?

Hard to know the max/peak CHT unless you look at the right time or log the data. I log the data every session and review afterwards. And yes, typically for me, the max is at the end of a straightaway. And then it cools off a few degrees and then ramps back up.

I run about 50% of the time with 3rd -7th on most straights on my local tracks. And then 4th -7th on the remaining. I have not max out 7th yet but getting close with 305/30/19. All shifts between 7000-7300 rpm except 6th. The redline (~fuel cut off) in 6th is 6800-6900, so what you are seeing is normal for stock tune. I absolutely hate it. It is so easy to hit fuel cutoff in 6th. With so many gears, I lose track of which one Iā€™m in, thinking Iā€™m in 5th and itā€™s actually 6th. Itā€™s frustrating. Only way to get rid of it is to get aftermarket tune to raise redline to 7500 .. which Iā€™m not ready to do quite yet. So Iā€™m dealing with it. Gotta pull the lever at 6500 in 6th and get it to go by 6800.

I finally as able to get my big grill installed and completed yesterday. Sheā€™s sealed up with minimal leaks, same as before. Will post pics tomorrow.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
You're saying that behavior is normal?
I guess that's a relief then (ie that my car is normal).

I rarely lose track of which gear if I know the track well.

Anyway the car still seemed to keep pulling once I upshifted to 7th. Although I also did not pay attention to the rpm while in 7th. Again, that was the time to identify the turn 1 brake point at 120mph.

I have yet to experience a track with a straight long enough to get to redline in 7th. Is there a fuel cutoff waiting there too?

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're saying that behavior is normal?
I guess that's a relief then (ie that my car is normal).

I rarely lose track of which gear if I know the track well.

Anyway the car still seemed to keep pulling once I upshifted to 7th. Although I also did not pay attention to the rpm while in 7th. Again, that was the time to identify the turn 1 brake point at 120mph.

I have yet to experience a track with a straight long enough to get to redline in 7th. Is there a fuel cutoff waiting there too?
Yes, normal 6th gear the best I can tell. Others on the Forum have mentioned the same issue. And yes, 7th has limit waiting. I believe itā€™s the same limit as 6th, but I need to look it up. I have done 6400 in 7th to date with 305/30/19 tire. So still margin there. Once again, all my data is logged on a small laptop, so itā€™s easy to look back/examine.

And yes, good drivers donā€™t lose track of gears which is a pretty good indication of my driving skills šŸ˜©

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Great results @tosha. Congrats. I bet those sprayers are the ticket with the SC heat exchanger adding all kinds of heat.
Thanks, the sprayers were actually the easiest part to make compared to ducting and sealing. They spray atain radiator only at this point, but it would be good to add 3 sprinklers in front of SC intercooler.

Big thanks overall to you and everyone else in this thread for great ideas and advise. Without all the info here, it would be extremely more difficult to solve these challenges.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Spraying the rad might get you through a particularly hot day, but it is telling you there is nothing particularly wrong with the cooling system, except it's undersized.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Spraying the rad might get you through a particularly hot day, but it is telling you there is nothing particularly wrong with the cooling system, except it's undersized.
For sure.
But just to clarify, below 75F I had no need for spraying, and at 80F it was just giving me extra buffer.

I'm not expecting any more hot days until June next year, and roush max cooling kit is in the plan to make it less undersized. The oil cooler might follow as necessary.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Glowshift for me, price point is hard to pass up and they work well enough.
I'm considering the Glowshift for oil temp. I already put in the 1/8NPT hole in my sandwich plate.

Did you put yours in the dash in place of the vac gauge? If so, how close to a drop-in is it?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Yes, normal 6th gear the best I can tell. Others on the Forum have mentioned the same issue. And yes, 7th has limit waiting. I believe itā€™s the same limit as 6th, but I need to look it up. I have done 6400 in 7th to date with 305/30/19 tire. So still margin there. Once again, all my data is logged on a small laptop, so itā€™s easy to look back/examine.

And yes, good drivers donā€™t lose track of gears which is a pretty good indication of my driving skills šŸ˜©
Watch my tach and road speed as I get to 6th on the back straight at Gingerman. There does not seem to be any hesitation, and the car still seems to pull towards 7000rpm.
This was Aug 1st, and the first day with the new oil cooler.

And another one

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I'm considering the Glowshift for oil temp. I already put in the 1/8NPT hole in my sandwich plate.

Did you put yours in the dash in place of the vac gauge? If so, how close to a drop-in is it?
OEM PP gauges are one unit behind the bezel so itā€™s all or nothing. I put mine in the vents. Glowshift also sells a mounting plate that will allow you to take the OEM pp gauges out and put two 52mm gauges there. So a couple options.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
OEM PP gauges are one unit behind the bezel so itā€™s all or nothing. I put mine in the vents. Glowshift also sells a mounting plate that will allow you to take the OEM pp gauges out and put two 52mm gauges there. So a couple options.
Yes I found their dual mounting bracket for our cars. But then can I put the OEM oil pressure gauge in their bracket? Seems dumb to buy a glowshift pressure gauge when I already have one. It's 6 of one, half dozen the other.
Sponsored