Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I... don't šŸ˜…
I have the mishimoto radiator and oil cooler.
I will.upgrade the oil cooler to a 660 setrab.
I thought you did bought a Kenny Brown radiator but maybe I was mistaken. Good to know regarding the mishi oil cooler though.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I thought you did bought a Kenny Brown radiator but maybe I was mistaken. Good to know regarding the mishi oil cooler though.
Kenny brown rear rotors. Maybe them?
The temps are 270f for the oil and 215f CHT. with also box and ducts and huge hood vents.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'm not sure why Fluidyne/Kenny Brown 3-Pass radiator is not getting better press.

https://www.fluidyne.com/collections/radiators/products/fhp30x-15mu3-15-17-mustang-3-pass

I know @Flyhalf run one on his car. For me this radiator is very different than anything one the market.
Fluidyne has had a fair number of quality issues over the last couple years. This is not to say anything bad about this particular radiator, but the company itself has its flaws.

Since I have an Eco, my rad options are pretty limited. I was thinking about something custom, but I'll have a go at this first. I'm just hoping I'll be able to run more than a single lap at a time at pace.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
this guy from C&R talks about oil cooler placement before or after the radiator

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
this guy from C&R talks about oil cooler placement before or after the radiator

I feel the best option for many is to oversize the water radiator and then use a oil-to-water heat exchanger to cool the oil. It uses much less real estate and it's easier to organize the airflow. It does make for a bloody big radiator, though.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I tried to hit all bases:
  • Kept the small water/oil cooler
  • Added highest BTU per size air/oil cooler that would fit horizontally and not block the radiator.
  • Isolated the oil cooler air from the radiator air with a big plastic panel.

So far it has survived 30min sessions albeit with 275 PS4s.

I just need to block off the larger air leaks next.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
So we all know my feelings on the cooling end of things (basically that more is almost always better and water temp is the big driver of things).

I just bought the CSF Radiator for my Eco. https://csfrace.com/csf-cools-the-new-mustang/ They also have a GT version. They're a nice looking rad with AL tanks and it's a little thicker. They claim to have 50% more capacity and much better cooling due to fin & tube design. We'll see if that's actually a thing.

I kind of have a general aversion to Mishi stuff and I do think this is a step up in quality. The Eco rad was $500, so not particularly expensive. I'll report back as to how it works.
Looks very interesting, from what I read 2 row design seems to have better efficiency over 3 row options. Price is good too. Please share some real world data once you have it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Looks very interesting, from what I read 2 row design seems to have better efficiency over 3 row options. Price is good too. Please share some real world data once you have it.
That can be deceptive. The 3 row might lose efficiency, but still have a greater overall heat rejection capacity. It's hard to get decent numbers from anyone. There are a lot of games to be played with tubes and fins. If we wanted to *really* play around we'd go Mezzo. A rad the size of a heater core would probably do the trick. https://mezzotech.com/radiators.html But, the rad would cost more than the rest of the car!

I'll report back on the CSF.

Sponsored

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Long time lurker, first time poster (in this amazing thread).

For those that are daily driving their HPDE cars, mods like radiator, oil cooler, radiator sealing and boxing are all relatively easy mods that do not impact the streeā€”ability of a daily driver.

I know from this thread that a major aspect of track cooling is extracting heat from the engine bay, which is usually done via race louvers. This seems like a huge change for a daily driver car as we have to contend with the weather.

Iā€™ve been looking at some of the ā€œheat extractorā€ hoods on the market that have provisions for a ā€œwater drainage trayā€ and Iā€™m wondering how functional those really are for heat extraction.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Iā€™ve looked at Cervini's GT500 Style Heat Extractor Hood as well as some Anderson Composite hoods (but Iā€™m not sure how streetable those are.. didnā€™t find any information about how they handle water drainageā€¦)

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Long time lurker, first time poster (in this amazing thread).

For those that are daily driving their HPDE cars, mods like radiator, oil cooler, radiator sealing and boxing are all relatively easy mods that do not impact the streeā€”ability of a daily driver.

I know from this thread that a major aspect of track cooling is extracting heat from the engine bay, which is usually done via race louvers. This seems like a huge change for a daily driver car as we have to contend with the weather.

Iā€™ve been looking at some of the ā€œheat extractorā€ hoods on the market that have provisions for a ā€œwater drainage trayā€ and Iā€™m wondering how functional those really are for heat extraction.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Iā€™ve looked at Cervini's GT500 Style Heat Extractor Hood as well as some Anderson Composite hoods (but Iā€™m not sure how streetable those are.. didnā€™t find any information about how they handle water drainageā€¦)

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!
I have "manufactured" rain trays for racelouvers using a sheet of aluminum from Home Depot and some basic hand tools for cutting and bending: hood vent mods? | Page 3 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com . been driving with these multiple times in the rain, as well as numerous washes with foam gun and pressure washer, never had any issues. obviously, these are not waterproof, but they route water to the radiator area, where there is nothing that would be a concern to get a bit wet. it takes me 15min to take them on or off, before or after a track weekend.

before going racelouvers route, I asked Anderson Composites about heat extraction data on their hoods, they responded that they don't test their hoods for that. it was enough for me to steer away from them. the opening in GT500 style hoods is not in an optimal position for best cooling, it's too far back, so.. at the end of day I went with the most functional solution which also turned out to be the most cost effective. I bought another stock hood on Marketplace as I didn't want to cut my original one. I was initially planning to swap the hoods for the events, but I'm too lazy for that, so I did this solution šŸ˜„

If you do just the center racelouver vent, they also have a matching cover that you can swap, but that would require removing the vent. with my solution, I don't need to take anything out.

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
I have "manufactured" rain trays for racelouvers using a sheet of aluminum from Home Depot and some basic hand tools for cutting and bending: hood vent mods? | Page 3 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com . been driving with these multiple times in the rain, as well as numerous washes with foam gun and pressure washer, never had any issues. obviously, these are not waterproof, but they route water to the radiator area, where there is nothing that would be a concern to get a bit wet. it takes me 15min to take them on or off, before or after a track weekend.

before going racelouvers route, I asked Anderson Composites about heat extraction data on their hoods, they responded that they don't test their hoods for that. it was enough for me to steer away from them. the opening in GT500 style hoods is not in an optimal position for best cooling, it's too far back, so.. at the end of day I went with the most functional solution which also turned out to be the most cost effective. I bought another stock hood on Marketplace as I didn't want to cut my original one. I was initially planning to swap the hoods for the events, but I'm too lazy for that, so I did this solution šŸ˜„

If you do just the center racelouver vent, they also have a matching cover that you can swap, but that would require removing the vent. with my solution, I don't need to take anything out.
Itā€™s very unfortunate that a company would market a ā€œheat extractorā€ hood and not even test itā€¦

Love the work you put into the rain trays for your setup! Iā€™m definitely a fan of doing your own metal work when possible.

For your racelouver setup, did you try to stay NASA or SCCA compliant or just go for the best cooling possible?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Itā€™s very unfortunate that a company would market a ā€œheat extractorā€ hood and not even test itā€¦

Love the work you put into the rain trays for your setup! Iā€™m definitely a fan of doing your own metal work when possible.

For your racelouver setup, did you try to stay NASA or SCCA compliant or just go for the best cooling possible?
Yeah, it is unfortunate. I would not buy anything from AC for a track focused car, to be honest.

I am not concerned about NASA or SCCA mainly because I'm not looking to do any TT or competitive autocrossing with this car, but also because in Canada these acronyms don't mean much šŸ˜„. So I went all in.

It took me couple attempts to make these, mainly because of a supercharger and the fact that racelouvers extend below the hood for about an inch. My clearances are very tight, but for NA car it should be very easy. You use cutout templates to do something like this, then cut and bend a bit, drill few bolt holes and it's done.
20220920_115321.jpg

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase

I can only speak for NASA but you only need to worry about compliance if you plan to take the Base Model Trim point handicap (which no one does). Otherwise, put the largest vents with the largest wicker for the most downforce and most heat extraction.
Sponsored