Sponsored

Track Day Drivers - What are you doing about the lack of Tow Hooks on the car?

Essex Wire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg
Many car clubs and track day companies strongly recommend that front and/or rear tow hooks be put on for fast towing before you can go on track.

Our GT350s don't have any tow hook receivers or attachment points. The Manual states that the only safe way to tow is using the J hooks and the designated holes under the car, on either side of the transmission. There don't even appear to be any hard points on the front or rear to even attach an aftermarket tow hook kit.

I've never tracked a car without a tow hook. Will the on-track emergency tow vehicle and crew use the under-body tow mounts? (Not sure how they can get under there quickly.)

Anyone encounter any problems with this yet? I'd like to know any possible alternate tow hookup points on the car before I go on track.
How are you folks dealing with this?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Been wondering the same thing. Heard that the aluminum front bumper rail is not strong enough to attach to. How do the race versions do it?

Toodles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Terminated Cobra
If it doesn't work they can make you one. Friends of mine. They do VERY good work.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
My plan is not to crash :shrug:

OP
OP

Essex Wire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Never a safe bet if you're driving hard. Even excellent drivers have incidents on occasion.

Also depends on the track, some have gravel traps which can be difficult to get out of if you just merely have an off. Laguna Seca, for example.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Never a safe bet if you're driving hard. Even excellent drivers have incidents on occasion.

Also depends on the track, some have gravel traps which can be difficult to get out of if you just merely have an off. Laguna Seca, for example.
Yeah, headed to LS tomorrow, sans tow hook. Who knows, the sound alone might be an issue, but we'll see.

The dusold tow hook looked interesting, but i saw a thread showing the mounting details and I wasn't sure how well it would work for the GT350. I tried to find that thread again and haven't been able to dig it up, so now I don't remember what my concerns were. Maybe it was just the need to cut the hole in the grille.

I wonder if we can do something like the euro cars, and make a small hole in the bumper and mount the hook to the same location those cars use.

-T

Sponsored

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Yup. Try to keep the car on the black stuff and pointed in the right direction. But then I'm a poossie and I always drive my cars to maybe 7/10 if that.

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
If the front bumper is reportedly not strong enough to support a tow hook, then the above mentioned aftermarket option may be a bad idea, as it mounts to the bumper...

The front hook points underneath may not be accessible if you go into a gravel pit.

Wichard20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In search of a R
would of been nice if ford setup some attachments points, you think for a car they advertise for track use they would of worked something in

Last edited:

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Is it to unrealistic to fab a point under the hood? Assuming the track rigs are using a boom it could work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored