SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I am at the end of my Ferodo DS1.11 pads, and I'm deciding between G-LOC and Hawk for my '18 GT PP1. I'm leaning towards G-LOC R16 front and R10 rear, but it seems that Hawk pads are cheaper.

I know there are a lot of variants for both manufacturers, so it can be hard to compare apples to apples. I'd just like to hear which brand people prefer for track use. I plan on using the stock PP1 rotors for the rest of this season then upgrading next year FYI.

Which do you prefer? What experience do you have with one or both brands?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The G-LOC are a lot kinder to rotors and you can use their GS-1 pads on the street without having to clean up the rotors. You get what you pay for. The G-LOC are also pre-bed and only need light street driving to get some pad material on the surface.

What Hawk pads are you looking at?

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I am at the end of my Ferodo DS1.11 pads, and I'm deciding between G-LOC and Hawk for my '18 GT PP1. I'm leaning towards G-LOC R16 front and R10 rear, but it seems that Hawk pads are cheaper.

I know there are a lot of variants for both manufacturers, so it can be hard to compare apples to apples. I'd just like to hear which brand people prefer for track use. I plan on using the stock PP1 rotors for the rest of this season then upgrading next year FYI.

Which do you prefer? What experience do you have with one or both brands?
What type of tires are you running? If it's R-comps or slicks then R16 fronts with R12 rears is a good set up. If you are running performance street tires, then you may want to step down a notch or two in compounds.

The G-LOC are a lot kinder to rotors and you can use their GS-1 pads on the street without having to clean up the rotors. You get what you pay for. The G-LOC are also pre-bed and only need light street driving to get some pad material on the surface.

Yes ^^^^ ! This is what I do and works well. I just change pads the day before I drive to my event and then switch back once I get home and do a general suspension inspection and etc on the car. No hassle of having to clean rotors and bed in pads. The only requirement is to sand your rotors clean before you going with the GS-1 pads. Oh, and much less brake dust with the GS-1's!

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
If you switch you will have to clean your current rotors or buy new rotors.

I use DSUNO pads on all track events and switch to my stock pads after.

If you go back in with DS1.11 or DSUNOs you’ll be able to continue to use your stock pads on the street.

I have quite a few guys on here running DSUNO and DS1.11 pads along with many ZL1 owners.

Let me know if I can help!

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase

I'm leaning towards G-LOC, I definitely believe you get what you pay for. I liked the Ferodo, but they were even more expensive, so I'm going to try something new.

Was looking at the Hawk Street/Race pads, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Do you think the R16/R12 combo is a good one too?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
What type of tires are you running? If it's R-comps or slicks then R16 fronts with R12 rears is a good set up. If you are running performance street tires, then you may want to step down a notch or two in compounds.

Yes ^^^^ ! This is what I do and works well. I just change pads the day before I drive to my event and then switch back once I get home and do a general suspension inspection and etc on the car. No hassle of having to clean rotors and bed in pads. The only requirement is to sand your rotors clean before you going with the GS-1 pads. Oh, and much less brake dust with the GS-1's!
Yep I'm running R-Comps (NT01). The GS-1's actually look less expensive than the OEM GT PP1 pads, I like that!

What do I have to do to my rotors to switch to the G-LOC pads? Sand and brake kleen? More than that?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I'm running R-Comps (NT01). The GS-1's actually look less expensive than the OEM GT PP1 pads, I like that!

What do I have to do to my rotors to switch to the G-LOC pads? Sand and brake kleen? More than that?
Just sand and brake clean if you're switching from stock. (I also run GS1 on the street and R12/R10 for the track with RE71Rs)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm leaning towards G-LOC, I definitely believe you get what you pay for. I liked the Ferodo, but they were even more expensive, so I'm going to try something new.

Was looking at the Hawk Street/Race pads, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Do you think the R16/R12 combo is a good one too?
Based on others' experience with Street/Race and HP+ (the predecessor to Street/Race), I would shy away. Hard on rotors and not true track pads.

R16/R12 would be a good bet if you're an experienced HPDE driver. A 2 step gap is recommended with our car/brake system. Even R10 in the rear would be good.

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Based on others' experience with Street/Race and HP+ (the predecessor to Street/Race), I would shy away. Hard on rotors and not true track pads.

R16/R12 would be a good bet if you're an experienced HPDE driver. A 2 step gap is recommended with our car/brake system. Even R10 in the rear would be good.
Awesome, sounds like a plan! Thank you.

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Just sand and brake clean if you're switching from stock. (I also run GS1 on the street and R12/R10 for the track with RE71Rs)
Perfect, that's what I'll do. On a completely different note...what toe-hook did you install?

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect, that's what I'll do. On a completely different note...what toe-hook did you install?
I have the “ZL1” tow hooks (front and rear).

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
You need to remove the front bumper to install it. The part that is a B**ch is drilling through the bumper/crash bar mount.

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
You need to remove the front bumper to install it. The part that is a B**ch is drilling through the bumper/crash bar mount.
I might not do the center one then...although I havent gone off track yet so I don’t know if it’s bad to be towed by a non-centered tow hook.
Sponsored