Sponsored

TRACK BATTLE - 2020 GT500 CFTP vs GT350R RACE CAR!

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
What problem? Its on a forum and being discussed.

Don't post it if you don't want comments
Actually...you came off like a ass the way you worded your comments. Just my thoughts as an observer looking in. Clearly its all good though now
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Actually...you came off like a ass the way you worded your comments. Just my thoughts as an observer looking in. Clearly its all good though now
And your point is? Don't bother, its obvious

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Great video! NCM is my home track too. Are you running the anniversary HPDE at the end of August?
Thanks! I might be instructing for that event, so I just may see you there.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
OP I watched your vid on YouTube yesterday, great pair of Mustangs you have, they are drop dead gorgeous man. Keep posting vids as I enjoy your content, i.e. no click-bait. Continue to enjoy & keep 'em shiny side up.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
You're welcome.

So let's see, a fully gutted and race prepped R on a short course vs the bone stock CFTP.

I'd like to see the result at a track more suited for the CFTP, like maybe VIR or Daytona. It wouldn't even be close.
Hes one of them Yuotubers you like so much, so im sure what you want is coming, but they have to do it in several episodes ;)

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
How quick are you going through tires on both cars?
So far the gt500 doesn't seem too bad on tire wear actually. With the Hoosiers on the R I usually get 3 or 4 days on the fronts. The rears will usually go another full weekend.

OP I watched your vid on YouTube yesterday, great pair of Mustangs you have, they are drop dead gorgeous man. Keep posting vids as I enjoy your content, i.e. no click-bait. Continue to enjoy & keep 'em shiny side up.
Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it!

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
So far the gt500 doesn't seem too bad on tire wear actually. With the Hoosiers on the R I usually get 3 or 4 days on the fronts. The rears will usually go another full weekend.

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it!
Nice!

I've done two days of time trials in my ZLE and the fronts are corded. Driving pretty hard though.

What's your front camber? I'm at -2.7.

Just comparing racer notes. :)

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Nice!

I've done two days of time trials in my ZLE and the fronts are corded. Driving pretty hard though.

What's your front camber? I'm at -2.7.

Just comparing racer notes. :)
I started with Fords recommenced alignment. I believe it was like -2.2 or -2.3 camber.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Both cars are incredible machines! Enjoy!

Really enjoyed your video of both cars and even though I have not driven a GT500 CFTP car there is no question that it is an incredible machine and am sure that I would enjoy driving one immensely.

I have been very fortunate to have owned a few of these GT350's including a 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 with the last 4 cars being R models.

My track time is limited to numerous laps at Sebring with these cars (2016 Track Pack and R models) and have had a great deal of seat time in the backroads of S.C. and Arizona with these cars therefore have come to understand them pretty well at least in everyday conditions some of which are very spirited.

Having said that I recently spiritedly drove my 2018 Base R back to back with my 2020 R and although they were not driven in a controlled track environment I could easily tell that the 2020 R had a more refined chassis/suspension and steering feel compared to my 2018 R and attribute the more confident inspired steering and suspension feel to that of the updated MagneRide and the new steering rack in my 2020 R.

Aside from chassis, suspension, steering, tires and alignment set up certainly power to weight ratio is a key component of quicker lap times therefore just have a few questions relating to weight and other key setups.

* What was the scale weight for the GT500 CFTP car.
* What was the scale weight for your GT350R race car.
* Did you run a similar camber and caster set up for both cars.
* With the GT350R being ~700# lighter (just a guess:wink:) than the GT500 how much different was the tire pressure that you used for each car.
* Have you had a chance to drive a 2020 R model and if not I suggest that you do that as I think that you will be impressed with the changes that Carl Widmann and his team has done from a chassis/suspension/steering standpoint compared to our 2016 to 2018 R models.
* Any chance of you purchasing a 2020 R and turning it into a full fledged race car just as you have done with your 2017 R and if so suggest that you will be more impressed with a 2020 R than you already are with your 2017 R racecar.

Thanks again for posting the very cool video and look forward to your comments.

:)

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Really enjoyed your video of both cars and even though I have not driven a GT500 CFTP car there is no question that it is an incredible machine and am sure that I would enjoy driving one immensely.

I have been very fortunate to have owned a few of these GT350's including a 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 with the last 4 cars being R models.

My track time is limited to numerous laps at Sebring with these cars (2016 Track Pack and R models) and have had a great deal of seat time in the backroads of S.C. and Arizona with these cars therefore have come to understand them pretty well at least in everyday conditions some of which are very spirited.

Having said that I recently spiritedly drove my 2018 Base R back to back with my 2020 R and although they were not driven in a controlled track environment I could easily tell that the 2020 R had a more refined chassis/suspension and steering feel compared to my 2018 R and attribute the more confident inspired steering and suspension feel to that of the updated MagneRide and the new steering rack in my 2020 R.

Aside from chassis, suspension, steering, tires and alignment set up certainly power to weight ratio is a key component of quicker lap times therefore just have a few questions relating to weight and other key setups.

* What was the scale weight for the GT500 CFTP car.
* What was the scale weight for your GT350R race car.
* Did you run a similar camber and caster set up for both cars.
* With the GT350R being ~700# lighter (just a guess:wink:) than the GT500 how much different was the tire pressure that you used for each car.
* Have you had a chance to drive a 2020 R model and if not I suggest that you do that as I think that you will be impressed with the changes that Carl Widmann and his team has done from a chassis/suspension/steering standpoint compared to our 2016 to 2018 R models.
* Any chance of you purchasing a 2020 R and turning it into a full fledged race car just as you have done with your 2017 R and if so suggest that you will be more impressed with a 2020 R than you already are with your 2017 R racecar.

Thanks again for posting the very cool video and look forward to your comments.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!:beer:

I weighed the gt500 with 29 miles to empty and without me in it, it weighed 4000lbs on the button. I was trying to confirm my estimate of the CFTP being 90lbs lighter than a base/handling pack car. So, since Speed Phenom had already weighed his handling pack, I tried to match how much fuel he had in his video when he weighed his at 4080lbs. I may have had an extra half a gallon of gas or so, so I think my 90lbs estimate was very close.

The 350R I have not had the chance to scale since the build but I did weigh it at 3753lbs (full tank) when it was stock with the watson cage. I did keep very good track of what everything weighed that was removed, and the weight differences of the lighter parts that were swapped in. Without looking at my notes for the exact number, I removed somewhere in the neighborhood of 280lbs. So that would put it at about 3473 with a full tank or about 3375lbs empty. You're 700lbs guess was a pretty good one. Due to the lower weight I do start with a few psi less in the 350R. I'm starting at 26 psi cold but I've only been out once with this new setup so I'm definitely still in the experiment faze.

Camber and overall alignment is very different between the two cars. The 350R is about 3.2 degrees with about 9 degrees of caster compared to around -2.2 and 8 degrees of caster in the gt500.

I have not driven a 2020 GT350R yet but I am aware of the changes and have definitely considered getting one. Probably won't be in the near future but I'd like to have another gt350r that I would keep stock.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!:beer:

I weighed the gt500 with 29 miles to empty and without me in it, it weighed 4000lbs on the button. I was trying to confirm my estimate of the CFTP being 90lbs lighter than a base/handling pack car. So, since Speed Phenom had already weighed his handling pack, I tried to match how much fuel he had in his video when he weighed his at 4080lbs. I may have had an extra half a gallon of gas or so, so I think my 90lbs estimate was very close.

The 350R I have not had the chance to scale since the build but I did weigh it at 3753lbs (full tank) when it was stock with the watson cage. I did keep very good track of what everything weighed that was removed, and the weight differences of the lighter parts that were swapped in. Without looking at my notes for the exact number, I removed somewhere in the neighborhood of 280lbs. So that would put it at about 3473 with a full tank or about 3375lbs empty. You're 700lbs guess was a pretty good one. Due to the lower weight I do start with a few psi less in the 350R. I'm starting at 26 psi cold but I've only been out once with this new setup so I'm definitely still in the experiment faze.

Camber and overall alignment is very different between the two cars. The 350R is about 3.2 degrees with about 9 degrees of caster compared to around -2.2 and 8 degrees of caster in the gt500.

I have not driven a 2020 GT350R yet but I am aware of the changes and have definitely considered getting one. Probably won't be in the near future but I'd like to have another gt350r that I would keep stock.
Appreciate all of the attached information with respect to tire pressures and camber/caster settings for each of our cars.

Do yourself a favor and go drive a 2020 R model and suggest that you will be quite impressed with the new setup at least I am compared to my previous other R's.

With respect to tire pressures back in 1987 I remember doing a lot of auto crossing with my '87 LX 5.0 Notchback and recall similar camber/caster settings such as yours but when it came to tire pressure I was running ~42 psi cold on the front and 26 cold psi on the rear therefore how times have changed with respect to tire technology but more importantly just how well balanced these GT350/GT500's are now compared to all of the severe understeer that I experienced with my '87 LX Mustang.

Last year I weighed my 2018 Base R model and it came in at 3,620# with half tank of fuel whereas when I recently weighed my 2020 R model it came in at 3,715# with 3/4 tank of fuel.

Appreciate the scaled weights on your 2020 GT500 CFTP car and your 2017 GT350R Electronics Package car.

Based on the weights that you provided and assuming that your engines are both totally stock I found it interesting to note that the power to weight ratio for your GT500 CFTP car was somewhat higher than the power to weight ratio for your GT350R therefore take away whatever you like from those numbers along with the track configuration that you chose for your cool video.

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
Appreciate all of the attached information with respect to tire pressures and camber/caster settings for each of our cars.

Do yourself a favor and go drive a 2020 R model and suggest that you will be quite impressed with the new setup at least I am compared to my previous other R's.

With respect to tire pressures back in 1987 I remember doing a lot of auto crossing with my '87 LX 5.0 Notchback and recall similar camber/caster settings such as yours but when it came to tire pressure I was running ~42 psi cold on the front and 26 cold psi on the rear therefore how times have changed with respect to tire technology but more importantly just how well balanced these GT350/GT500's are now compared to all of the severe understeer that I experienced with my '87 LX Mustang.

Last year I weighed my 2018 Base R model and it came in at 3,620# with half tank of fuel whereas when I recently weighed my 2020 R model it came in at 3,715# with 3/4 tank of fuel.

Appreciate the scaled weights on your 2020 GT500 CFTP car and your 2017 GT350R Electronics Package car.

Based on the weights that you provided and assuming that your engines are both totally stock I found it interesting to note that the power to weight ratio for your GT500 CFTP car was somewhat higher than the power to weight ratio for your GT350R therefore take away whatever you like from those numbers along with the track configuration that you chose for your cool video.

The tires make a "BIG" difference between the two cars!!!!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The tires make a "BIG" difference between the two cars!!!!
Agreed on the tire issue but the GT500 certainly has a distinct advantage on the power to weight ratio aspect.

:sunglasses:
Sponsored