Sponsored

TRACK BATTLE - 2020 GT500 CFTP vs GT350R RACE CAR!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Awesome man! Daytona is definitely a bucket list track. I'll hit you up when I can make it down.
Excellent! It will be a great time. You are right, one of those bucket list events. You going to bring both cars?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm not sure which R I will be running. My usual R has been turned in towards the CFTP. Maybe the base, we will see.

The CFTP for sure. I should have the lightweight watson cage installed and the CF hood by then. We'll see.

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Excellent! It will be a great time. You are right, one of those bucket list events. You going to bring both cars?
I wish I had it like that lol. It's easy an hour from home. I don't actually have any money... Just nice cars lol. But seriously, I would like to come down to Daytona.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Liked the videos.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I wish I had it like that lol. It's easy an hour from home. I don't actually have any money... Just nice cars lol. But seriously, I would like to come down to Daytona.
Yes, it would be great. A bunch of us do it every year. Sign up for all three days.. i think Sunday is the best because everyone has mostly cleared out and all the students are signed off or gone. Nothing but fun. I was fortunate enough to catch Billy Johnson last year on a Sunday. He looked bored, so I offered up my car. It was a blast watching a true master in his element. People like that are all over the event. Dean Martin is there with his crew every year running the GT4s.

Anyway, I'll catch you then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Yes, it would be great. A bunch of us do it every year. Sign up for all three days.. i think Sunday is the best because everyone has mostly cleared out and all the students are signed off or gone. Nothing but fun. I was fortunate enough to catch Billy Johnson last year on a Sunday. He looked bored, so I offered up my car. It was a blast watching a true master in his element. People like that are all over the event. Dean Martin is there with his crew every year running the GT4s.

Anyway, I'll catch you then.
Awesome, hopefully I can make it.

Twisted O CFTP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Daytona is a super cool track been running motorcycles and cars there for years. Nothing compares to the banking it’s considered a straight but really cool so wanted to ask what’s up with the steering inputs were u getting on the gas to early before u exited the apex or was the track a little greasy just wondering I found little inputs seem to work much better the CFTP is steered with using trail braking Into turn and smooth throttle out along with minimal steering inputs that are smooth and precise if the tail was to kick out use counter steering no brake or lite braking maintain throttle to compare I tracked the CFTP at Sebring and didn’t experience any under steer another tip is to use the curbing into the turn this will transfer the weight to the opposite side for more grip a key to being fast is to approach the turn with the idea of keeping the car as straight as possible this allows u to get on the gas sooner and keeps your speed up for better lap times btw did u lower your tire pressures to 26 before tracking this will allow more grip as you heat the tires the camper plate install would help as well nice rides btw maybe we will see u at Daytona

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Daytona is a super cool track been running motorcycles and cars there for years. Nothing compares to the banking it’s considered a straight but really cool so wanted to ask what’s up with the steering inputs were u getting on the gas to early before u exited the apex or was the track a little greasy just wondering I found little inputs seem to work much better the CFTP is steered with using trail braking Into turn and smooth throttle out along with minimal steering inputs that are smooth and precise if the tail was to kick out use counter steering no brake or lite braking maintain throttle to compare I tracked the CFTP at Sebring and didn’t experience any under steer another tip is to use the curbing into the turn this will transfer the weight to the opposite side for more grip a key to being fast is to approach the turn with the idea of keeping the car as straight as possible this allows u to get on the gas sooner and keeps your speed up for better lap times btw did u lower your tire pressures to 26 before tracking this will allow more grip as you heat the tires the camper plate install would help as well nice rides btw maybe we will see u at Daytona
Be careful with those tire pressures at Daytona. The banks put a lot of stress on under inflated tires. The most critical is the right rear (which carries the highest load). Any of the delaminations that occur usually involve the right rear and right around turn 4.

I spent a lot of time researching target pressures. I had the opportunity to speak with the michelin engineers pertaining to that track and the Cup 2s. I stagger my pressures. Right rear being the highest, right front next highest, inside tires about the same.

Attachments

Twisted O CFTP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Be careful with those tire pressures at Daytona. The banks put a lot of stress on under inflated tires. The most critical is the right rear (which carries the highest load). Any of the delaminations that occur usually involve the right rear and right around turn 4.

I spent a lot of time researching target pressures. I had the opportunity to speak with the michelin engineers pertaining to that track and the Cup 2s. I stagger my pressures. Right rear being the highest, right front next highest, inside tires about the same.
Hey Tom thanks for the info I was aware of the tire pressures at Daytona the last time I ran I had the Pirelli trofeos r tires on the 911 which is always prone to the right rear blow out I didn’t stagger my pressures but it’s a good idea as the right side Generates more heat and would help balance the pressure how did the staggered pressures work in the infield around the international horseshoe and kink did u have good grip thanks for the pdf sheet that’s good info and hard to find as u know since the reps usually don’t won’t to tell h anything due to liability reasons

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hey Tom thanks for the info I was aware of the tire pressures at Daytona the last time I ran I had the Pirelli trofeos r tires on the 911 which is always prone to the right rear blow out I didn’t stagger my pressures but it’s a good idea as the right side Generates more heat and would help balance the pressure how did the staggered pressures work in the infield around the international horseshoe and kink did u have good grip thanks for the pdf sheet that’s good info and hard to find as u know since the reps usually don’t won’t to tell h anything due to liability reasons
Well, that's the standing joke at Daytona... run the pressure as high as you can for the oval course so that you can slide all over the infield. The key is a balance. It is nothing but a compromise because what is good for one is not good for the other.

Pressures vary with heat, but 36psi on the inside tires, 37 right front, and 39 right rear are good hot target pressures.

Twisted O CFTP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Well, that's the standing joke at Daytona... run the pressure as high as you can for the oval course so that you can slide all over the infield. The key is a balance. It is nothing but a compromise because what is good for one is not good for the other.

Pressures vary with heat, but 36psi on the inside tires, 37 right front, and 39 right rear are good hot target pressures.
Agreed with pressures the trick is understanding were to start cold on pressures ford talked about not going under 28 for the cup 2s but that’s not going to hit those hot targets at Daytona which is very different I wonder if we could ask billy If we could start with going under that 28 psi threshold as ford recommend

Twisted O CFTP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Also going to flush the standard brake fluid and put in Castrol rsf or I had some recommendations on trying motul both have better wet and dry temps then motorcraft I ran castrol rsf last time and it made a big difference so did the trofeo tires

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Agreed with pressures the trick is understanding were to start cold on pressures ford talked about not going under 28 for the cup 2s but that’s not going to hit those hot targets at Daytona which is very different I wonder if we could ask billy If we could start with going under that 28 psi threshold as ford recommend
My cold starting temps are 28 for the left side, 29 for the right front, and 31 for the right rear. After a lap they come up enough to get going.

Also going to flush the standard brake fluid and put in Castrol rsf or I had some recommendations on trying motul both have better wet and dry temps then motorcraft I ran castrol rsf last time and it made a big difference so did the trofeo tires
Yea, I use SRF as well. Never had any problems. There was a time that it was impossible to get. It looks like it is available again. I'm glad you brought it up, I need to pick up a few bottles for the CFTP.

Its funny you mention brake fluid. Last year I did a demo session in a students car. I was doing a nice easy session pointing out all the highlights. We finished the session and pulled into the garage area and I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. I popped the hood and jumped out to investigate. My initial thoughts were a loose oil pressure sensor. The Gt350s have an issue with it loosening up and dripping oil on the header. Once the hood was opened up, there it was..... a ball of fire on his headers. It was one of those situations where you don't think, you act. While everyone was screaming fire, I ran over and grabbed a halon bottle and emptied about half into the engine compartment.

I always do a mini tech inspection on my students cars. Its like flying.... you do a walk-around to make sure its all ok. Lug torque, brakes, oil, tire wear and pressures, etc. I asked him about the brakes and he said they were just serviced. OK I thought.... i do recall making sure his reservoir cap was tight when I looked over everything. Well after the fact it was determined that beake fluid was leaking out from his reservoir onto his header directly below. After more in depth questions, I came to find that the brakes were not new, but the fluid was topped off at the resevoir. Anyway, i believe had his brakes been serviced correctly (new brakes with racing fluid) that would not have happened. There are folks who do perfectly fine with OEM fluid, but there is a difference.

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
Great video! NCM is my home track too. Are you running the anniversary HPDE at the end of August?
Sponsored