Sponsored

TR6060 Swap Guide

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping that now a good amount of us are getting their 6060 swaps completed (myself included) we should do a guide for those considering or for those who decided and want to make the right decisions. I will post the guide as I have experienced it and will add to it as my car is completed. Feedback and Suggestions are welcome, I'll update this OP as necessary.

2015+ S550 Mustang GT MT-82 to TR6060 Swap Guide

Let me start off by saying I was shocked at how well everything bolted up on the S550 chassis. Right down to the floor pan bolts for the shifter. If you get all of your decisions made up front and parts ordered in advance then you will find this swap to be painless.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1. TR6060 (duh) - You have many options here but it must be a 6060 that came out of, or is intended for a 07+ GT500. There are two different gearing ratios available and hands down the best person to walk you through this is Ben Calimer at Calimer Transmission. He consulted with me about my mods and driving style and literally re-built a donor to suit. The price, without a core was very reasonable and I suggest you start with him. The only other viable option I considered was a LOW mileage takeout (the ones that come available are quickly gobbled up) or a new replacement from Ford (which is cost prohibitive when compared to the options from Ben).

tech-info-tremecs-tr-6060-vs-magnum4.jpg

2. SHIFTER

I went with MGW. It bolted right in and feels perfect. I've heard that any GT500 Shifter will work but I don't have experience with anything other than MGW.

MGW 07-14 GT500 Shifter

07-14-gt500.jpg

3. CLUTCH ASSEMBLY/FLYWHEEL/SLAVE & THROW OUT BEARING/PILOT BEARING

You will need a 26 spline clutch. I was fortunate to have already swapped to a McLeod RXT and they re-hubbed my clutch disks to 26 spline for $75. I'm assuming most people doing this swap have switched from a factory clutch so this may take some research on your part. While we were in there we replaced the Slave Cylinder/Throw Out Bearing and the Pilot Bearing because, you'd be crazy not to. I think the Slave is different, in that it's slightly longer but I need to confirm this. If you have to buy a new clutch entirely there are plenty of forum vendors who will hook you up with a 26 spline version.

SWAP SUPPORTING COMPONENTS:

Although the transmission will bolt up directly to the S550 Coyote there are some other supporting pieces that are needed to successfully make the swap.

1. 2014 GT-500 Transmission Cross Member
Part Number: 8R3Z-6A023-B
OEM Ford

This bolts right in. We also used a 14 GT500 Trans Mount (Ford Replacement), I'll get the part number.

3501897_55b01bb72bf9d.jpg

2. 2014 GT-500 Speed Sensor Pigtail
Part Number: 3U2Z-14S411-VBB
OEM Ford

There are plenty of companies that sells these pigtails. For the short extra $ to go OEM I did. The 6060 uses a two wire Speed Sensor setup and the MT uses a three wire. The extra wire will be a ground that you bring to a chassis ground. I will dig up a wiring diagram/color guide but here's the gist: Match up 12v Power and then match up the DC voltage signal wires and bring the extra wire to ground. We'll get into the other speed sensor stuff later.

WPT_1300__19383.1428010246.700.700.jpg

3. 2014 GT-500 Reverse Light Pigtail
Part Number: 3U2Z-14S411-NZA
OEM Ford

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMiIJkpyejuZv8Xt0FU5WWFFjQOosjmvwF_wkRQbDtHy917bHQ.jpg

4. 2014 GT-500 Reverse Lockout Solenoid Pigtail
Part Number: DU2Z-14S411-ATA
OEM Ford

The MT-82 does not have a reverse lockout. You have two options, use a swap specific box (more on that later) or put in a momentary switch. I didn't even give thought to disabling the lockout. This pigtail makes the splices clean and weather sealed.

Here's a guide to the Ford Pigtails. I'm sure I got the wrong picture or whatever so find a friend at a Ford Dealer order these or look to one of the aftermarket sources.

5. Blowfish Racing 07-14 GT500 Shifter Support Bracket
Part Number: SSB-07-600
Blowfish Racing

I deemed this "OPTIONAL" because the swap will work without it but I will eventually be putting it in because coupled with the MGW it tightens up the remote shift setup to be a non issue and includes a trans mount and driveshaft loop all in one. It's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. Ben Calimer recommends running this from the jump but I found you can get by without it.

6. SWAP SPECIFIC or SHORTENED ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT

To date, Drive Shaft Shop is the only company I am aware of that makes a swap specific one piece. I had their Aluminum MT-82 Driveshaft in my car and the were kind enough to give me the measurements to take to my local machine shop to have it shortened and balanced. NOTE: If you plan on doing what I did you will need a four bolt flange off a Shelby as the four bolt MT adapter flange was considerably smaller (bolt hole center to bolt hole center)

That's all I can muster for now. coming up I will talk about the wiring a bit more, including the Speed Sensor and tuning and/or signal converter to make it jive with the PCM, reverse lockout options etc....I'll also post up the options for the reverse lockout boxes and signal converters.

I welcome people to make suggestions/corrections so I can get this to be sticky worthy.

Cheers.:ford:
Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Any updates? Hopefully my 6060 comes in this week.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
How much are you guys all in for your swap and necessary parts?

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already had aftermarket clutch and driveshaft, so i'm in about 3500.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sub'd! Excellent info as this is going to possibly be my next part in my build

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I already had aftermarket clutch and driveshaft, so i'm in about 3500.
So if you buy a swap specific drive shaft(~$700) it would be close to $4200 which is about what the Magnum XL with drive shaft package costs.

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
So if you buy a swap specific drive shaft(~$700) it would be close to $4200 which is about what the Magnum XL with drive shaft package costs.
Not necessarily true. If you have rxt and dss already mcleod will respline your discs for 100 shipped dss will resize your drive shaft to spec for a couple hundred...

So if you are stock with nothing go magnum package.

If you have an aftermarket drive shaft with clutch go 6060 route as the guys with magnum packages don't seem to be discounting them if you already have clutch and driveshaft

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. He asked all in. Trans, new mgw shifter, speed box, modifying my twindisk and ds. The Calimer TR6060 is a lot less than a T56.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Hey guys,
Please don't get me wrong .
I really appreciate the OP(and doodguy previously)taking the time to write this up.
Just trying to figure this out .
In my case since I have a non DSS drive shaft will they still shorten it ?
If not then I would be looking at buying a drive shaft.

This would put me close to the magnum package including drive shaft(and shifter) which is $4200 plus cost to respline the discs .
In both instances you should be able to sell the old drive shaft for at least $400.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys,
Please don't get me wrong .
I really appreciate the OP(and doodguy previously)taking the time to write this up.
Just trying to figure this out .
In my case since I have a non DSS drive shaft will they still shorten it ?
If not then I would be looking at buying a drive shaft.

This would put me close to the magnum package including drive shaft(and shifter) which is $4200 plus cost to respline the discs .
In both instances you should be able to sell the old drive shaft for at least $400.
No worries. But you need to compare apples to apples. My tr6060 is a stage 1 from Ben Calimer. Not a stock factory unit. If you compare stock 6060 price to stock t56, the 6060 is quite less.

Either way you go all the swap parts are the same, feel free to reach out for help.:headbang:

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks man.
Do you know what upgrades are included in the stage I?
I had a bad 1-2 grind in my 2011 GT 500 untill I had it rebuilt under warranty .

I did get a quote of $2800 shipped for the stage I Tr6060 transmission(not sure what else is included ).
I am planning an motor swap this year so debating whether to wait till then to swap the tranny,which would save some on labor cost .
My MT82 is staring to whine so loudly that I am getting tempted to do the swap now ,or at least have it ready to go ...just in case .Lol

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No sir. When it comes to transmissions it a foreign language to me. He did say that it's really stout and can handle 1100-1200 hp. He includes pigtails for the speed control and reverse light, stock rubber trans mount and billet bracket. I chose not to run a reverse lockout box, for now.

Not sure your resources but the trans isn't that hard to swap with an extra set of hands. Actually putting mine back in now. If you have the coin I would at least have the swap ready for if you pop the 82.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to give you guys an update.

Got the 6060 in Saturday. Goes in just as smooth as the mt-82 came out.
Ben sends pigtails for the speed sensor and reverse light, a stock transmission mount and his own custom billet crossmember.

Reverse light is straightforward, just splice it into the old harness.
I used the Dakota Digital box. Its a 5 wire set up and also very easy. Once i confirm it works as described, no speed jumps and cruise works in all gears, I will post up the wiring.
As of now I will not be running a reverse lockout.

That's all I have for now. Still waiting on MGW for their swap specific setup. Hopefully comes in the next day or so. I will post pics once I have everything.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping that now a good amount of us are getting their 6060 swaps completed (myself included) we should do a guide for those considering or for those who decided and want to make the right decisions. I will post the guide as I have experienced it and will add to it as my car is completed. Feedback and Suggestions are welcome, I'll update this OP as necessary.

2015+ S550 Mustang GT MT-82 to TR6060 Swap Guide

Let me start off by saying I was shocked at how well everything bolted up on the S550 chassis. Right down to the floor pan bolts for the shifter. If you get all of your decisions made up front and parts ordered in advance then you will find this swap to be painless.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1. TR6060 (duh) - You have many options here but it must be a 6060 that came out of, or is intended for a 07+ GT500. There are two different gearing ratios available and hands down the best person to walk you through this is Ben Calimer at Calimer Transmission. He consulted with me about my mods and driving style and literally re-built a donor to suit. The price, without a core was very reasonable and I suggest you start with him. The only other viable option I considered was a LOW mileage takeout (the ones that come available are quickly gobbled up) or a new replacement from Ford (which is cost prohibitive when compared to the options from Ben).

tech-info-tremecs-tr-6060-vs-magnum4.jpg

2. SHIFTER

I went with MGW. It bolted right in and feels perfect. I've heard that any GT500 Shifter will work but I don't have experience with anything other than MGW.

MGW 07-14 GT500 Shifter

07-14-gt500.jpg

3. CLUTCH ASSEMBLY/FLYWHEEL/SLAVE & THROW OUT BEARING/PILOT BEARING

You will need a 26 spline clutch. I was fortunate to have already swapped to a McLeod RXT and they re-hubbed my clutch disks to 26 spline for $75. I'm assuming most people doing this swap have switched from a factory clutch so this may take some research on your part. While we were in there we replaced the Slave Cylinder/Throw Out Bearing and the Pilot Bearing because, you'd be crazy not to. I think the Slave is different, in that it's slightly longer but I need to confirm this. If you have to buy a new clutch entirely there are plenty of forum vendors who will hook you up with a 26 spline version.

SWAP SUPPORTING COMPONENTS:

Although the transmission will bolt up directly to the S550 Coyote there are some other supporting pieces that are needed to successfully make the swap.

1. 2014 GT-500 Transmission Cross Member
Part Number: 8R3Z-6A023-B
OEM Ford

This bolts right in. We also used a 14 GT500 Trans Mount (Ford Replacement), I'll get the part number.

3501897_55b01bb72bf9d.jpg

2. 2014 GT-500 Speed Sensor Pigtail
Part Number: 3U2Z-14S411-VBB
OEM Ford

There are plenty of companies that sells these pigtails. For the short extra $ to go OEM I did. The 6060 uses a two wire Speed Sensor setup and the MT uses a three wire. The extra wire will be a ground that you bring to a chassis ground. I will dig up a wiring diagram/color guide but here's the gist: Match up 12v Power and then match up the DC voltage signal wires and bring the extra wire to ground. We'll get into the other speed sensor stuff later.

WPT_1300__19383.1428010246.700.700.jpg

3. 2014 GT-500 Reverse Light Pigtail
Part Number: 3U2Z-14S411-NZA
OEM Ford

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMiIJkpyejuZv8Xt0FU5WWFFjQOosjmvwF_wkRQbDtHy917bHQ.jpg

4. 2014 GT-500 Reverse Lockout Solenoid Pigtail
Part Number: DU2Z-14S411-ATA
OEM Ford

The MT-82 does not have a reverse lockout. You have two options, use a swap specific box (more on that later) or put in a momentary switch. I didn't even give thought to disabling the lockout. This pigtail makes the splices clean and weather sealed.

Here's a guide to the Ford Pigtails. I'm sure I got the wrong picture or whatever so find a friend at a Ford Dealer order these or look to one of the aftermarket sources.

5. Blowfish Racing 07-14 GT500 Shifter Support Bracket
Part Number: SSB-07-600
Blowfish Racing

I deemed this "OPTIONAL" because the swap will work without it but I will eventually be putting it in because coupled with the MGW it tightens up the remote shift setup to be a non issue and includes a trans mount and driveshaft loop all in one. It's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. Ben Calimer recommends running this from the jump but I found you can get by without it.

6. SWAP SPECIFIC or SHORTENED ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT

To date, Drive Shaft Shop is the only company I am aware of that makes a swap specific one piece. I had their Aluminum MT-82 Driveshaft in my car and the were kind enough to give me the measurements to take to my local machine shop to have it shortened and balanced. NOTE: If you plan on doing what I did you will need a four bolt flange off a Shelby as the four bolt MT adapter flange was considerably smaller (bolt hole center to bolt hole center)

That's all I can muster for now. coming up I will talk about the wiring a bit more, including the Speed Sensor and tuning and/or signal converter to make it jive with the PCM, reverse lockout options etc....I'll also post up the options for the reverse lockout boxes and signal converters.

I welcome people to make suggestions/corrections so I can get this to be sticky worthy.

Cheers.:ford:
If I had a 6060 trans, I would most definitely go with a S1 Sequential shifter. Hands down. http://www.s1sequential.com/
I spoke to them about doing a sequential shifter for the tr3160 and they said they are doing a 6060 version now and not ready to do a 3160.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I had a 6060 trans, I would most definitely go with a S1 Sequential shifter. Hands down. http://www.s1sequential.com/
I spoke to them about doing a sequential shifter for the tr3160 and they said they are doing a 6060 version now and not ready to do a 3160.
Not seeing anything for the 6060 on their site?
Sponsored