Sponsored

TPMS accuracy

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I was playing with my tire pressures a bit and noticed my TPMS read about 2lbs higher than my gauge. My gauge is by no means high-end, but it's also not a stick reader and more precise than that. I'm wondering if any of you with high-end gauges have compared the readings? If so, are they the same? Thinking I may need a new gauge?
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I was playing with my tire pressures a bit and noticed my TPMS read about 2lbs higher than my gauge. My gauge is by no means high-end, but it's also not a stick reader and more precise than that. I'm wondering if any of you with high-end gauges have compared the readings? If so, are they the same? Thinking I may need a new gauge?
I think you need a new gauge. The sensors are pretty accurate from what I understand, +-1psi. I have a decent digital gauge (+-2-3psi) and if you read the fine print on the packaging, it gives you the accuracy. I will note that most that I have looked at in auto parts stores have a +-2-3 psi accuracy. I also have priced +-1 psi guages only and they get pretty pricey.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSL

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've found the supplied sensors to be accurate, at least reasonably so. The system does not report fractions, so its rounding up or down by some measure. That being said, I found less than a 1 lb psi differential between the sensors and my gauge, which I've calibrated against an accurate instrument. And, the TPMS readings stayed consistent with the independent gauge readings during limited track use (heat and vibration).

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

D.DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350 TECH 1982 Corvette
I have found the TPMS to be accurate.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
The only problem with the TPMS is how often it sample the reading. For example, I had a 2012 T&C it if you used the TPMS to measure, it could take up to 45 seconds to give you the updated measurement. I have not tested the GT350's system but it can not be different from the GT's I've had in the past. I believe there is also a delay, just do not know how long.

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
On the subject of TPMS, can somebody tell me if the TPMS displays the PSI of each tire or is it just a generic light indicating low tire pressure and you have to go find it? I thought I read somewhere that it was tire specific, but can't find it again. Thanks.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
all 4 individual tires are shown on a car silhouette in the cluster display. Its one off the digital Speedo which is quite handy.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have a very accurate gauge we use for my son's go kart. The TPMS readout matches perfectly. It's interesting to see the pressure readings rise in the info graphic as the tires get hot.
Sponsored