MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
As someone who owned a 4th Gen Supra, one of the better tuned examples at the time :), I just don't have any interest in the new car.

No appeal for me in a small 2-seater, slightly underpowered, slightly overpriced and I'm not sure there's any appeal in context of the current marketspace. I mean, if this Toyota comes in at $60K, and given the price of the Z4 as a reference, it easily could, it'll be over before it starts. I just don't think there's a nearly enough market in the 400-ish HP, sports/sporty, 2-seater segment to support a $55-60K Toyota - that being said, I'm sure the BMW Z will continue to do just fine, it's a roadster and it's got way more brand cachet.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Quoting these two posts since they sort of echo my thoughts as well:

The last Supra competed head to head with the Vette at the time, although when the C5 came out, it’s new chassis was a game changer. Anything less than a true Corvette competitor will be disappointing, IMO....and I don’t see this thing being a true Corvette competitor, although superior build quality will peak my interest.
The Supra name shouldn’t be sullied by having it attached to a car that performs with a much lower set of peers. Anything carrying that name needs to run low 12’s or better to properly carry on the heritage in light of where cars are performing nowadays. It’d be like SRT reintroducing the Viper as a competitor to the base v8 Mustang/ Camaro. It’s squandering the established respect for the car. That said, I agree. It looks likely that they’ll get the power to weight ratio too weak to not degrade the Supra name.
Nissan I think got too far out there in terms of pricing (their original sand-bagged pricing was right on the mark), but they were much closer with the GT-R, in terms of how I would've positioned a new Supra. I mean, if you're going to price it so that it's a niche/low volume, then make it a real halo vehicle like the GT-R/Viper/C7Z06.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
As someone who owned a 4th Gen Supra, one of the better tuned examples at the time :), I just don't have any interest in the new car.

No appeal for me in a small 2-seater, slightly underpowered, slightly overpriced and I'm not sure there's any appeal in context of the current marketspace. I mean, if this Toyota comes in at $60K, and given the price of the Z4 as a reference, it easily could, it'll be over before it starts. I just don't think there's a nearly enough market in the 400-ish HP, sports/sporty, 2-seater segment to support a $55-60K Toyota - that being said, I'm sure the BMW Z will continue to do just fine, it's a roadster and it's got way more brand cachet.
Initally it’ll sell great. All the pent up demand. Like the 2010 Camaro. But once the nastalogic buyers get their fill. It’ll be a hard sell.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Initally it’ll sell great. All the pent up demand. Like the 2010 Camaro. But once the nastalogic buyers get their fill. It’ll be a hard sell.
Totally agree, I think there will be that initial surge of people who want the newest thing, have some nostalgic motivation, maybe are Japanese import fanatics - then a massive downturn in sales, and a lot of cars on the market after many people realize that can't really afford a $60K 2-seater ...

(I realize I'm pulling the price out of my ass, but I won't be surprised given the shared BMW platform).

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree, I think there will be that initial surge of people who want the newest thing, have some nostalgic motivation, maybe are Japanese import fanatics - then a massive downturn in sales, and a lot of cars on the market after many people realize that can't really afford a $60K 2-seater ...

(I realize I'm pulling the price out of my ass, but I won't be surprised given the shared BMW platform).
I'm thinking more 40s as the entry price for the 4-cylinder and low to mid 50s for the 6. Still too high of a price in my opinion, but I don't think it'd be as high as the Z4. Now if the higher trim comes in the 40s, whole different story.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm thinking more 40s as the entry price for the 4-cylinder and low to mid 50s for the 6. Still too high of a price in my opinion, but I don't think it'd be as high as the Z4. Now if the higher trim comes in the 40s, whole different story.
You know, to be honest, I kind of keep forgetting / not factoring in, the lower end model(s). Heck, that's not unlike the previous gen Supra, the Turbo vs. the NA models (and we know the price difference between those two).

Wow, yeah, if the pushing higher end model, is in the $40Ks, lets say low, and within mid 40s nicely optioned, that's definitely a different ball game.
Sponsored