Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Hi guys. Many of you know my situation where Ford screwed me over about a year ago on an oil change and cost me an engine, lawyers, and all kinds of madness.

I'm looking to visit my family back in New Orleans and want to bring my car with me to get it fixed. I've looked into hiring a transport company but it's going to cost $1200+. I'd do that if I didn't have a reason to go back to NOLA.

Any tips you guys have for this? The tire sizes are 325x30x19 in the back and 305x30x19 in the front, so I hear the uhaul trailers won't work. Wouldn't even know how to get it up there anyway.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Just sold a car trailer, last Forday (Friday)... but I can yell you this, 1200 is a good price to move it, my trailer went for 1800. Loading back it onto the trailer.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Just sold a car trailer, last Forday (Friday)... but I can yell you this, 1200 is a good price to move it, my trailer went for 1800. Loading back it onto the trailer.
Do you think it'd be worth it though if I'm headed to the same place? I feel like there should/could be an easier way for me to just take it with me, but no clue how lol

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think it'd be worth it though if I'm headed to the same place? I feel like there should/could be an easier way for me to just take it with me, but no clue how lol
Depends on the carrier if that's what you're asking. If you have never moved/trailered a car before.
A carrier, will know all the not too's to insure success, most likely have insurance for any unforeseen seen problems.

I would advise not to learn with the 350, I say that without knowing you. Some folks can look at a problem and figured out the how too. Others need to read a book and make 50 cell phone calls and still not get it.

Be honest with your thoughts, analyze both options, doing it your own self or paying a carrier. And last but not least ..... would not recommend the 2 guys and a truck.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Definitely research whatever carrier you decide to go with too, before signing any contracts. Google the hell out of them or ask on the forums about their shipment practices, if they stay in touch with the customer and mode of transport (enclosed, not enclosed, on another rig with other cars (top or bottom), etc.

Also be sure that the shipper has insurance and READ ALL THE FINE PRINT of any of their documents!!

If you’re worried about the car fitting on a personal trailer (or rented) to do it yourself, why not just buy a junk set or wheels off here, eBay or your local Craig’s ads and throw them on just for the trailer “fitment” issue?

Also if you’re going to do it yourself, be sure the trailer is up to code - (registration, good tag, working lights, etc). Last thing you want is to get a citation through multiple states...

If trailering distance yourself - be sure to bring a (or 2) spare trailer wheels and proper jack just in the event of a blowout.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Do you belong to any mustang clubs? Perhaps someone there could help/lend/rent a trailer.
Same suggestion if you tracked the car. If not looking up someone like that could provide good information or suggestions.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Definitely research whatever carrier you decide to go with too, before signing any contracts. Google the hell out of them or ask on the forums about their shipment practices, if they stay in touch with the customer and mode of transport (enclosed, not enclosed, on another rig with other cars (top or bottom), etc.

Also be sure that the shipper has insurance and READ ALL THE FINE PRINT of any of their documents!!

If you’re worried about the car fitting on a personal trailer (or rented) to do it yourself, why not just buy a junk set or wheels off here, eBay or your local Craig’s ads and throw them on just for the trailer “fitment” issue?

Also if you’re going to do it yourself, be sure the trailer is up to code - (registration, good tag, working lights, etc). Last thing you want is to get a citation through multiple states...

If trailering distance yourself - be sure to bring a (or 2) spare trailer wheels and proper jack just in the event of a blowout.
Thanks man. I think one of the other issues with having smaller tires would be getting the car up on the trailer to begin with -- I realized that after I considered getting another set of wheels/tires.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I had a friend who managed to talk the driver into putting her Cavalier into the back of the huge moving van the company sent when they relocated her and her minimal amount of possessions from one state to another. Stunningly illegal, from what I understand.

Then again, she was blonde, blue-eyed, 5'5", 110 pounds, with a Texan / Brazilian accent to die for. Your mileage may vary.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Considering all of the aggravation you have already been put through and the value of the car why not just let a pro do it? I know it's the money but heaven forbid something happens you are just going to kick the shit out of yourself.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I had a friend who managed to talk the driver into putting her Cavalier into the back of the huge moving van the company sent when they relocated her and her minimal amount of possessions from one state to another. Stunningly illegal, from what I understand.

Then again, she was blonde, blue-eyed, 5'5", 110 pounds, with a Texan / Brazilian accent to die for. Your mileage may vary.
LOL

Considering all of the aggravation you have already been put through and the value of the car why not just let a pro do it? I know it's the money but heaven forbid something happens you are just going to kick the shit out of yourself.
Yeah you're right. I just honestly didn't know if there was an easier way for me to make this work. I figured if there was a simpler way to do it myself that'd only take a few minutes, it'd be worth it since I'd essentially be driving right behind the transport vehicle to visit family anyway. I've reached out to a few folks here though to get some additional quotes.

Do you belong to any mustang clubs? Perhaps someone there could help/lend/rent a trailer.
Same suggestion if you tracked the car. If not looking up someone like that could provide good information or suggestions.
Yeah I do. I tried seeing if I could rent a trailer but no luck. Everyone seems to want to hold on pretty tightly, lol.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Try uship. Different people bid on transporting your vehicle and send you quotes. www.uship.com

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
7 hour drive would be 8 hours with a rental Penskie straight truck with trailer.
Turn truck in, rent a car while in Orleans. Drive car back

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I would measure the width of the car and width from tire to tire and go to uhaul and see if one of their trailers would work. If it does they rent pickups and that should be enough to haul a car. I’ve fit cars with 305 rear tires on there but check to be sure and careful if it’s raining it can get slippery. You’ll need someone to guide u up and if the car isn’t driveable at all you need a winch to pull it up. This is probably the cheapest options but only go this route if you’re comfortable loading and securing the car as well as making the trip otherwise I’d pay a professional.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
LMAO have you seen some of those players ......... how about you try it and get back to us.

Have you used them ?
When I was using Penske to move my stuff from Florida to Wisconsin I was going to tow my F150 super crew p/u but the car carriers they have couldn’t tow my truck.

They gave me the uship web site. I entered my info and got quite a few people with quotes get back to me but they were pretty high priced quotes. I never ended up using them.

I thought maybe it would be cheaper for the op’s Mustang. Might be worth a shot and see what they quote him.
Sponsored