Towing a trailer, full cord of wood?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I need some advice on this before I pull the plug. I have a great deal on a cord of Tamarack, it's an hour away so making multiple loads with the fuel spent would outweigh the deal.

If I had a trailer with proper trailer brakes I wouldn't care, especially with it being all highway driving. But the only trailer I have access to doesn't have trailer brakes.

I'm fairly certain I know the answer, possible or nay?
Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
No trailer brakes, that's a lot of weight hanging out back. Rent a uhaul trailer.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
No trailer brakes, that's a lot of weight hanging out back. Rent a uhaul trailer.
That's what I'd be renting haha. They didn't have trailer brakes last time I rented.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
Go for the larger dual axle. Weight varies depending on the wood, but at a minimum it of 2K per cord, I'd think that would be the move to make.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I need some advice on this before I pull the plug. I have a great deal on a cord of Tamarack, it's an hour away so making multiple loads with the fuel spent would outweigh the deal.

If I had a trailer with proper trailer brakes I wouldn't care, especially with it being all highway driving. But the only trailer I have access to doesn't have trailer brakes.

I'm fairly certain I know the answer, possible or nay?
In Alberta, trailer brakes are legally required if you are towing more than 50% of your vehicle's weight (Vehicle Equipment Regulation), so you're going to need trailer brakes to tow a cord of wood.
More specifically, the maximum weight (GVWR) of the trailer cannot exceed more than 50% of your curb weight of your truck without trailer brakes.

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Unless you have one of the more expensive trims there is no provision on the 2024 fo plugging g in a trailer brake controller .

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
In Alberta, trailer brakes are legally required if you are towing more than 50% of your vehicle's weight (Vehicle Equipment Regulation), so you're going to need trailer brakes to tow a cord of wood.
More specifically, the maximum weight (GVWR) of the trailer cannot exceed more than 50% of your curb weight of your truck without trailer brakes.
Legality I've never been worried about haha it's remaining safe for those around me. I managed to get a buddy to come with his truck to help ease the load on my end so I'll be good afterall!

That being said, if I was going a short distance with no traffic I'd do it in a heartbeat, I've broken more laws in my lifetime than not 😝

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Go for the larger dual axle. Weight varies depending on the wood, but at a minimum it of 2K per cord, I'd think that would be the move to make.
If you'd believe it the closest 12ft trailer to me is over 5 hours away. Only for that I would've. I managed to find a pal to come with his truck and help out so all's good in the hood!

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
If you'd believe it the closest 12ft trailer to me is over 5 hours away. Only for that I would've. I managed to find a pal to come with his truck and help out so all's good in the hood!

What draw bar do you use?

Here is what I picked up today:

2024 Tacoma Towing a trailer, full cord of wood? thumbnail_20240510_161635

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
What draw bar do you use?

Here is what I picked up today:

thumbnail_20240510_161635.jpg
I've been pulling with the dealer supplied hitch and ball lol. Nothing I've pulled so far is heavy and for the amount that I'll ever tow behind, it's probably all I need 😝

Reactions: oxi

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
That's too pretty to use. LOL.
I picked one up from harbor freight for like $139. Looks the same. The small utility trailers at work are too low for the new taco. Never thought I’d need a drop down for a mid size truck. Lol
Sponsored