Sponsored

Tow vehicles and Trailers, share your setups!

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
Intech trailers are super nice! With most things you get what you pay for, and they are another example of just that. It is so nice being able to load these cars with no ramps and being able to exit through the drivers door. I have about 45k miles on our 2019 24' and its still working perfectly. Just now on a fresh set of tires. But other than that just keep the bearings greased and the occasional wash out. Can't wait til I can replace our ATC 48' gooseneck with a Intech.
Sponsored

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Here's a dumb question for everyone with open trailers. I just bought an 82" x 18ft today brand new. How do you drive it on and get out of the car with the doors having only a couple of inches before hitting fenders? I have a winch and my buddy is going to weld on the adapter plate for me but even if drive it partially up and winch the rest I can't get in the car to set the parking brake unless the window stays down and I don't want to do that in the event of rain.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Here's a dumb question for everyone with open trailers. I just bought an 82" x 18ft today brand new. How do you drive it on and get out of the car with the doors having only a couple of inches before hitting fenders? I have a winch and my buddy is going to weld on the adapter plate for me but even if drive it partially up and winch the rest I can't get in the car to set the parking brake unless the window stays down and I don't want to do that in the event of rain.
Removable fender was an absolute must for me when I shopped for open trailer - for that reason. Winch and climbing out of the window are your other options if yours doesn't have it - if it doesn't, I would sell it and buy one with it.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
KZ is correct. My old open trailer would clear the doors after I put installed a 2x10 length wise to raise the car and 1 1/2. Down side was I need to extend the ramps to adjust the angle. Even if your trailer does not have removeable fenders a decent trailer repair or manufacturer in your area should be able to convert your fenders to removeable for a reasonable amount. That’s assuming you can’t do it yourself.

Sponsored

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Ohhhh, so the removeable fenders isnt so much for gaining width as it is for gaining height clearance for swinging the door open. Correct?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Another option is to elevate the car on the deck like Inthehighdesert mentioned above - but it comes with issues (drilling into a steel deck, raising CG of
Ohhhh, so the removeable fenders isnt so much for gaining width as it is for gaining height clearance for swinging the door open. Correct?
Absolutely - they don't gain you any width since they sit on the outside of the deck anyway. I've measured height from the ground to the bottom of the door and asked for fender height from the deck when shopping for trailers - none of them had fender low enough.

See the pic - door would not clear fender when it's on.

PXL_20210316_235530284.jpg

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Another option is to elevate the car on the deck like Inthehighdesert mentioned above - but it comes with issues (drilling into a steel deck, raising CG of

Absolutely - they don't gain you any width since they sit on the outside of the deck anyway. I've measured height from the ground to the bottom of the door and asked for fender height from the deck when shopping for trailers - none of them had fender low enough.

See the pic - door would not clear fender when it's on.

PXL_20210316_235530284.jpg
Okay good, so im just that stupid I was looking at gaining width lmao. Well my buddy who welds is taking my trailer to weld on some other stuff so he will making the fender removeable.

Reactions: kz

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the U haul car trailer for and idea.

Sponsored

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
Okay next question. Is anyone actually using a scale for tongue weight or just roughly centering the vehicle over the axle?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Okay next question. Is anyone actually using a scale for tongue weight or just roughly centering the vehicle over the axle?
I sort of eyeballed it and also have WD hitch - not sure what's your tow vehicle is but any F150 is supposed to be using WD hitch if trailer weight is above 5k pounds - which any non-aluminum with S550 Mustang on it will be. Better to have some decent tongue weight then end up with sway and whole thing in the ditch.

tamadrummer1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT
I sort of eyeballed it and also have WD hitch - not sure what's your tow vehicle is but any F150 is supposed to be using WD hitch if trailer weight is above 5k pounds - which any non-aluminum with S550 Mustang on it will be. Better to have some decent tongue weight then end up with sway and whole thing in the ditch.
For any non car use of the trailer my Acura MDX will be the tow vehicle. If I am moving a car, 99% of the time the s550, then I will just borrow my dad's f150.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
In the past I went to the CAT scales to get my tongue weight and shifted accordingly. This is way more convenient.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/etrailer/e99044.html

I'm usually pretty good at eyeballing it, but was wrong by a fair margin on both my flatbed and enclosed trailer. Once you get your loadout dialed in, it becomes unnecessary as long as you load everything up the same way every time.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I do. I'm usually between 800-950 of tongue weight on my 8k lbs trailer depending on how it's loaded
Sponsored