Sponsored

Tow Hooks - My experience with ZL1 Addons

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
(pics attached below)

First of all, let me say that there are not that many options out there for tow hooks for our cars. I needed hooks and was running out of time while searching for something I liked since I had an HPDE coming up fast. I wasn't as concerned about removing the front fascia, but I did want a center mount if I could find one I liked. I also wanted one for the rear since different organizations sometimes require a rear hook as well.

I finally decided to call ZL1 Addons since I knew they had a rear hook option, though the front hook was offset. When I looked up their number I was surprised to find they were located in my neck of the woods. I spoke with the owner and found out that he had a center mount option though it wasn't listed on his site. Unlike the offset front mount, the center mount requires removing the front fascia.

When talking with him about the actual hook (not the mount), he mentioned that some of the hooks being used by others where from China. He used the same hook when he first started his business and soon found that they were not the best of quality. He then decided to design his own hook, which I must say, is very high quality and made here in the U.S.

During our conversation I asked if I could just stop by his place and pick up the hooks and mounting hardware directly. Not only did he say sure, he mentioned that he would install the hooks himself for free if I would lend a hand. I thought he couldn't be serious, but it was a deal that was hard to pass up!

Sure enough, upon arriving at his place I was directed to a lift to install the hooks. We pulled the front fascia off in no time and he showed me where the mounting bracket would be located on the front bumper beam. The bracket is designed so that the threaded receiving end is lined up perfectly with the grill. The hook assembly passes right through with no modifications needed to the grill.

If you opt for the center mount or rear hook, make sure you have sharp drill bits of decent quality. It will require good pressure when drilling through the bumper brackets. A slower drill speed works better than faster. Since it was so easy to remove the front beam at that point, we did so in order for him to just use his drill press.

For the rear mount, it requires drilling through the underside of the rear bumper beam. To access that, we removed all the push pins and the two small nuts on each side that attach the rear valance to the bumper cover. You then need to firmly pull on the valance to unclip it from where it attaches at various points to the bumper cover. Gently using a screwdriver helps.

You can't completely remove the valance unless you want to go through the pain in the ass ordeal of unclipping it from the thin inside strip of the bumper cover at the center where it attaches around the rear back up light. With a helper, however, it's easy enough to just pull the valance back far enough at this point to access the underside of the bumper beam with a drill without having to completely remove the valance.

Once the rear bracket was installed, it required drilling a hole through the bumper cover directly behind where the rear license plate resides. Clipping the valance back together was not a big deal.

I really like the quality of the hooks and the way they look when mounted on the car. I have no worries about the mounts or hooks not being strong enough. Again, I can't emphasize enough that sharp drill bits and a little bit of patience is required when drilling through the bumper beams.

The owner, John, is definitely a car nut and a very interesting person to talk with when he has the time. When talking with him, I got the impression that I was not the first person that he invited to his place to help install his different products.

It quickly becomes obvious how smart he is when it comes to engineering parts and products. He reminds me of the early innovators of the hot rod industry from the 60's and 70's. He seems chock full of ideas and energy and the only think standing in his way is the time to pursue them.

For those interested, he also has some beautiful titanium tow hooks available as well as titanium lug nuts. I think the full packaged box of 20 lug nuts weigh about the same as five factory lug nuts!

Despite the nice website, the business end is probably more "Mom and Pop" in the way it is run. I can see why it may frustrate a few people who deal directly with them, but after talking with the man I feel confident that he has his customer's interests at the forefront. When we did the install he only had one front hook in stock (new hooks were at the powder coater) and offered to lend me one of his titanium hooks for the rear. I turned him down though since the rear wasn't needed at the event I went to that weekend.

He has now listed the front, center mount option on his website. I wish I would have taken picks during the install, but things went so fast I didn't think about it. I took these pics at home after I picked up the rear hook.
20170425_155603.jpg
20170425_155541.jpg
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
He's got a center mount one now! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!

Off to spend more moneeyyyyyyy!

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Crap! I just purchased the offset front mount only a month or two ago!

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
He's not kidding about drilling through the bumper supports. That is some serious HIGH strength steel. Multiple drill bits, lots of swearing, and shoulder bursitis for a week after I did the rear install.

Nice product though!!

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Yep that rear bumper steel is TOUGH.

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I’m wanting to fit a center mount ZL1 tow hook on my GT PP 50th anniversary pack. I have requested and mailed ZL1 with a request for this dimension. So that I can see if any cutting is required in the bottom grille, which is specific to the anniversary trim (Not wanting to do this)

Does anyone have one to hand or could offer any information on this dimension.?

Many thanks

[/url]54869A63-1016-4281-AE7C-168740157AB3 by Dave Bridge, on Flickr[/IMG]

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Anything that makes you drill that crash bar is a pain in the ass. Took me forever with my Ford tow hook. I only had access to Home Depot-grade drill bits and a hand drill, though. Theres a Boomba racing one I think that is just a structure that wraps around the crash bar that makes a lot of sense. Very expensive though.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
(pics attached below)

First of all, let me say that there are not that many options out there for tow hooks for our cars. I needed hooks and was running out of time while searching for something I liked since I had an HPDE coming up fast. I wasn't as concerned about removing the front fascia, but I did want a center mount if I could find one I liked. I also wanted one for the rear since different organizations sometimes require a rear hook as well.

I finally decided to call ZL1 Addons since I knew they had a rear hook option, though the front hook was offset. When I looked up their number I was surprised to find they were located in my neck of the woods. I spoke with the owner and found out that he had a center mount option though it wasn't listed on his site. Unlike the offset front mount, the center mount requires removing the front fascia.

When talking with him about the actual hook (not the mount), he mentioned that some of the hooks being used by others where from China. He used the same hook when he first started his business and soon found that they were not the best of quality. He then decided to design his own hook, which I must say, is very high quality and made here in the U.S.

During our conversation I asked if I could just stop by his place and pick up the hooks and mounting hardware directly. Not only did he say sure, he mentioned that he would install the hooks himself for free if I would lend a hand. I thought he couldn't be serious, but it was a deal that was hard to pass up!

Sure enough, upon arriving at his place I was directed to a lift to install the hooks. We pulled the front fascia off in no time and he showed me where the mounting bracket would be located on the front bumper beam. The bracket is designed so that the threaded receiving end is lined up perfectly with the grill. The hook assembly passes right through with no modifications needed to the grill.

If you opt for the center mount or rear hook, make sure you have sharp drill bits of decent quality. It will require good pressure when drilling through the bumper brackets. A slower drill speed works better than faster. Since it was so easy to remove the front beam at that point, we did so in order for him to just use his drill press.

For the rear mount, it requires drilling through the underside of the rear bumper beam. To access that, we removed all the push pins and the two small nuts on each side that attach the rear valance to the bumper cover. You then need to firmly pull on the valance to unclip it from where it attaches at various points to the bumper cover. Gently using a screwdriver helps.

You can't completely remove the valance unless you want to go through the pain in the ass ordeal of unclipping it from the thin inside strip of the bumper cover at the center where it attaches around the rear back up light. With a helper, however, it's easy enough to just pull the valance back far enough at this point to access the underside of the bumper beam with a drill without having to completely remove the valance.

Once the rear bracket was installed, it required drilling a hole through the bumper cover directly behind where the rear license plate resides. Clipping the valance back together was not a big deal.

I really like the quality of the hooks and the way they look when mounted on the car. I have no worries about the mounts or hooks not being strong enough. Again, I can't emphasize enough that sharp drill bits and a little bit of patience is required when drilling through the bumper beams.

The owner, John, is definitely a car nut and a very interesting person to talk with when he has the time. When talking with him, I got the impression that I was not the first person that he invited to his place to help install his different products.

It quickly becomes obvious how smart he is when it comes to engineering parts and products. He reminds me of the early innovators of the hot rod industry from the 60's and 70's. He seems chock full of ideas and energy and the only think standing in his way is the time to pursue them.

For those interested, he also has some beautiful titanium tow hooks available as well as titanium lug nuts. I think the full packaged box of 20 lug nuts weigh about the same as five factory lug nuts!

Despite the nice website, the business end is probably more "Mom and Pop" in the way it is run. I can see why it may frustrate a few people who deal directly with them, but after talking with the man I feel confident that he has his customer's interests at the forefront. When we did the install he only had one front hook in stock (new hooks were at the powder coater) and offered to lend me one of his titanium hooks for the rear. I turned him down though since the rear wasn't needed at the event I went to that weekend.

He has now listed the front, center mount option on his website. I wish I would have taken picks during the install, but things went so fast I didn't think about it. I took these pics at home after I picked up the rear hook.
20170425_155603.jpg
20170425_155541.jpg
To OP

I know this is an old thread. Can you post pictures of rear install?

Can you offset the mount to one side of the license plate?

Thanks

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
To OP

I know this is an old thread. Can you post pictures of rear install?

Can you offset the mount to one side of the license plate?

Thanks
Hello. I'm sorry, but as I stated in the thread I didn't have time to take any pictures during the install. I would not recommend offsetting the hook to one side of the rear plate since the bumper bar is curved and not straight. The hook would protrude out at an angle.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hello. I'm sorry, but as I stated in the thread I didn't have time to take any pictures during the install. I would not recommend offsetting the hook to one side of the rear plate since the bumper bar is curved and not straight. The hook would protrude out at an angle.
Thank you for the quick response
Sponsored