Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Two weeks ago today, my wife and I had to say goodbye to our eight-year old, male Dobie. Cancer...again. We started rescuing the breed over twenty years ago and have had nine (I think,) and as many as four at a time. All reds and blacks, no fawns or blues.

We also happen to be on the Board of the local Dobie rescue kennel, dobiehaven dot com, and our kennel manager called the next day to express his condolences. I thanked him and asked that he keep an eye out for the type of pup we like and he said, "I have one, and that's the second reason why I'm calling."

I jumped into the truck and headed out there. His kennel name was "Sarge" but we're calling him "Buddy." Unfortunately, he has Heartworm which he shouldn't because they all get prevention but that's another story. He'll be fine in a couple months after the two treatments.

Otherwise, he's as healthy and as big as a bull. <smile> Our slightly older female has been very standoffish but she's quickly coming around. And, Buddy has learned to use the dog door.

So yesterday, while I was out with them, I saw them start to "play" for the first time. Happened to have my phone so I grabbed some footage then came in and put this clip together. It's the first vid at the top.

For the non-dog people, PgDn. <smile>
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So one drops a duce and the other runs up to sniff it, lol

Sorry to hear about your family member. However the two look happy

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
KB, having been through this a number of times in my life, I can totally relate. Condolences for your lost one. I know you'll never forget him. Good to see you got your female a companion as having two means the world to each one of them. I have two Danes now and they rely on each other all the time and play much the same as yours do. They are the best friends you could ever ask for.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Great video KB!

I'm a huge dog lover and I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy going through those times. Been down that road many a times.
It's nice to see the two getting along and having a great time. The start of great friendship!
DOGS ARE THE BEST!

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I can totally relate.
Thanks to all but it goes with the territory and when it's their time, you have to let them go.

Tob you are SO correct about a pair (or pack.) <smile> They compliment one another, watch out for one another, and love each other like brothers and sisters. I ALWAYS make that suggestion to folks with only one pup.

Yes, Tom, they're getting happier by the day but man, can that guy EAT! OMG, he's eating three times as much as she is. :-)

Sponsored

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Great video KB!
Many thanks, S3, it was just a quickie job in Premiere using footage from an iPhone, glad you liked it.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for your loss KB.

We had an 12 yr female retriever (mine) and a 9 yr old boxer (hers), they both went to the great dog patch within 6 weeks of each other. They were best buddies. I miss them every day but as you say, we love them while they are here and remember them forever.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I am sorry to hear about your dog KB. As far as I am concerned dogs are part of the family. I know it is tough my friend.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, D, Jim, et al. We all know how it feels but fortunately, the good times FAR outweigh the bad.

And D...did you break the code?!!! How did you get that larger image to upload? That image is much taller than what I THOUGHT was the fixed standard.

192x342, gonna have to try that.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Over the rainbow bridge...

We do the same with borzoi. We have two rescues (one is my wife’s service dog) and we foster for the National Borzoi Rescue Foundation.

Have fun with the new one!

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Fellow dog lover. Sorry for your loss :crying: But happy you picked up a new teammate. :clap: Looks like you've made him very happy!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Once again Kent, sorry for your loss. I know its not the first, but its tough none the less.

My wife and I were in Aruba this past February (pre-Covid-19), and we lost our 14 y/o Golden Retriever (female). My 24 y/o son, 20 y/o daughter, 9 y/o daughter, and 8 y/o son had to deal with taking her to be put down while we were away. She had a stroke, it was quite sad. The wife and I had to say goodbye over Facetime when she was at the vets office. This was probably the hardest pet death I have ever experienced. I am grateful that she was with the kids at the end, but it KILLED us to not be there. I swore I wouldn't get another pet because of the pain it causes to loose them.

Well, we are now expecting a female golden in a soon to be born litter. The pain subsided (somewhat), and we decided that we just cant be without the love of a dog. It is such a shame they cant live longer, they are among the greatest joy one can have, its a shame they leave us so soon.

Happy to hear you rescued another, and brought him into your home to be a part of your family.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
I feel your pain KB. Have had many labs and dachshunds and I think it hurts worse the older we get. It sounds like you gave him a great life. Hang on to the positive memories and be thankful for the time you had him.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
See...I KNEW that I wasn't the only one who loves the pups. <BIG smile>

Thank you to everyone who expressed their condolences.

And, Jaime. Dear Lord what an awful story to have been away. Definitely not pleasant for the kids but, I do think it's a character building event for the younger ones. You can't help but realize just how short life is for them. Why couldn't the Creator have designed them to live long lives like horses?

I was on the road at work when the same thing happened to one of ours and the wife had to deal with it. For me, hearing her heartache over the phone was the toughest.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Two weeks ago today, my wife and I had to say goodbye to our eight-year old, male Dobie. Cancer...again. We started rescuing the breed over twenty years ago and have had nine (I think,) and as many as four at a time. All reds and blacks, no fawns or blues.

We also happen to be on the Board of the local Dobie rescue kennel, dobiehaven dot com, and our kennel manager called the next day to express his condolences. I thanked him and asked that he keep an eye out for the type of pup we like and he said, "I have one, and that's the second reason why I'm calling."

I jumped into the truck and headed out there. His kennel name was "Sarge" but we're calling him "Buddy." Unfortunately, he has Heartworm which he shouldn't because they all get prevention but that's another story. He'll be fine in a couple months after the two treatments.

Otherwise, he's as healthy and as big as a bull. <smile> Our slightly older female has been very standoffish but she's quickly coming around. And, Buddy has learned to use the dog door.

So yesterday, while I was out with them, I saw them start to "play" for the first time. Happened to have my phone so I grabbed some footage then came in and put this clip together. It's the first vid at the top.

For the non-dog people, PgDn. <smile>
Feel your pain. We lost our first boxer to a brain tumor at 10.5 years. I received a PM on a local site from a guy I did not know who was needing to give up his male boxer days after the loss. We adopted that knucklehead and loved him to death. He developed heart problems at age 3. 3 medications and his own cardiologist we managed to give him great life until 4 weeks before his 7th birthday. He developed giant tumors in his abdomen. Only his slowing down and an ultrasound exposed them. The vet removed his spleen and 5 tumors. One of which was the size of a medium pot roast. He bounced back and had a great life for about 4-5 more weeks. We put him down at 7 years 3 days because the tumors returned and took over in that period. We thought he would die of heart failure. 2 months later we got a call from a boxer rescue and adopted our current 6 year old. She is a snuggle butt. Our dogs have been our children since we never had any. This will be out last.

We feel your pain. Our vets bawled like babies with us when both took their last breath after the needle was administered. Making that decision was the hardest thing for me to do. It is so FINITE. There is no changing your mind or having second thoughts once its done. I never wish this on anyone. I pray all pet owners can wake up one morning to find their lived pet has passed in its sleep. Sorry to ramble. been 4 years now and I still get worked up when I read threads like this.
Sponsored