Totaled 2019 GT, get 2021 GT?

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
I have a gut feeling the OP is gonna make the news some day for either getting killed in a wreck or killing others in a wreck.
Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I get it - itā€™s easy to pick on this kid. But it is feeling a bit excessive.

Iā€™ve only owned sports cars my whole life (except the SUV for the family). I got my first manual Mustang (V6) at 18. Went from there to a manual WRX then back to a Mustang GT.

Never been in a wreck - and only two speeding tickets in 24 years of driving (and both of those were in an SUV).

It _is_ possible to own these cars, enjoy them, and not be a hazard to yourself or others. - even if you are young. Itā€™s also possible to make mistakes and learn from them.

To the OP: hopefully you learn something from this and no matter what you drive next you give it a bit more caution.

To be on topic: My vote is for a new 301a. Youā€™ve already shown that you like to do upgrades - so I wouldnā€™t worry about a Premiumā€¦ but the 301a has a good infotainment screen so that you donā€™t have to immediately mess up the middle of your dash with some aftermarket system. Just my vote.

EDIT: BTW my family was firmly middle-classā€¦ I paid for all of my own vehicles and insurance by working during high-school and college. It is possible - and we donā€™t know this guyā€™s situation.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I have a gut feeling the OP is gonna make the news some day for either getting killed in a wreck or killing others in a wreck.
Sadly there are many more like him than you would think, and he's not even special enough to make the news in a bad way.

Iā€™ve only owned sports cars my whole life (except the SUV for the family). I got my first manual Mustang (V6) at 18. Went from there to a manual WRX then back to a Mustang GT.

Never been in a wreck - and only two speeding tickets in 24 years of driving (and both of those were in an SUV).

It _is_ possible to own these cars, enjoy them, and not be a hazard to yourself or others. - even if you are young. Itā€™s also possible to make mistakes and learn from them.

To the OP: hopefully you learn something from this and no matter what you drive next you give it a bit more caution.

To be on topic: My vote is for a new 301a. Youā€™ve already shown that you like to do upgrades - so I wouldnā€™t worry about a Premiumā€¦ but the 301a has a good infotainment screen so that you donā€™t have to immediately mess up the middle of your dash with some aftermarket system. Just my vote.

EDIT: BTW my family was firmly middle-classā€¦ I paid for all of my own vehicles and insurance by working during high-school and college. It is possible - and we donā€™t know this guyā€™s situation.
Well said, and we all made mistakes at that age. Anybody who claims different is probably a liar. But the biggest problem here isn't the mistake made it's the attitude about it. The who cares/not my fault attitude will prevent anybody from learning from their mistakes no matter what age. In my more years than I'd like to count running shops and the like I've never fired anybody for making a mistake but I'll sure as shit let you go if I don't think your attitude towards them is appropriate.

Deleted member 35644

Affluenza: Refers to an inability to understand the consequences of one's actions because of financial privilege.

Enabling Behaviors of Parents: Attempting to make life easier as a solution by giving money or gifts not earned, expecting less from them, removing responsibilities, etc. Overlooking bad behavior to keep peace.

Menace to Society: A person whose actions, attitudes, or ideas are considered dangerous or harmful: When he gets behind the wheel of a car, he's a real menace.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My insurance literally doubled when I moved from Ohio to Utah. The rates here are absurd. I mean I know the drivers are bad, but my area must have a huge pool of uninsured or unlicensed drivers flying around. The no fault crap also doesn't help, I'm sure.
Same here, when I moved from IOWA to Nevada, I even live in a 'BAD' zip code that cost me more!

Sponsored

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

I get this attitude as I have never been in an accident that was my fault and I have only ever gotten 1 speeding ticket in 20 years of driving. That said, I had a 114hp Volvo 245 wagon and driving drunk probably would have been safer than the stunts my buddies and I were pulling in that car. All of my buddies who had fast cars either wrecked them or they ended up in ditches.

We had a fabulous auto program and even got seat time in some tubbed out cars at the track, but we had no concept of our own mortality and in our minds, our skill was endless.

Power was the last thing we needed.

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You may have viewed my last post about how I totaled my 2019 mustang gt on saturday. It had pp1, 10 speed, and was a 300a car. I added the sync 3 w nav ($2200 upgrade) and the digital cluster ($2400 when i ordered it) as well as red leather seats. Said and done, my car appeared as a premium besides the mycolor door sills, cup holders, etc. Now, I am wondering what your guys thoughts are on getting a new car?

Should I wait until January of next year (8-9 months) for my 18th birthday to get a new one, or should I push do to it now? Thinking of waiting because it will atleast be a bit easier to finance when Iā€™m 18. (I plan to pay nearly half down, so not worried about financing qualifications.)

Last but not least, what options should I get with the new car? Iā€™m taking my instrument cluster out of the 19 because itā€™s the smartest thing to do. I either could sell it and get 401a, or I could keep it and get 400a; however, I was thinking of going with 301a and adding katzkin red leather seats like I did last time, as you still get ambient lighting with 301a. Smartest thing would be to go 300a again and install my radio and cluster, and program the drive modes, but 301a is a must. I need the extra speakers and all of mycolor.

I just want some opinions here. 301a (at the least), pp1, and 10 speed are my required options. Either way if I got 401a or 300a I would have my digital cluster in there. Iā€™d like safe and smart too for adaptive cruise control but not sure if itā€™s worth it. Let me know your thoughts
Should you wait till January next year?
Yes.
For one thing you will probably mature a bit more.
I'm not saying you're immature, I'm saying at 18 things will look different.
And you will have more $$$ for that down payment. Insurance will be less.
Aaaannddd the streets will be safer for at least another 7 months.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Well, I'm a bit confused. Money doesn't seem to be a problem for the OP but he might want to transfer equipment to his new car. Why? To save money? He's almost 18 YO, and last year drove 35,000 miles as a 16/17 YO. Really? No school? No job? Lots of fishy stuff being stated by the OP. I'm outta here with statements like he's making. Bye!

19GT69MACH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401A & 1969 Mach 1
Trolls gonna troll. šŸ™„

007evan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
evan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 2019 VW Jetta GLI
I bet if it was a ford pinto you would be more careful.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
When you compare what we drove to now, things were very different. Today, cars have too much power for the average Joe. In the middle 70's through the 80's, we had the gas crisis and emissions control and that neutered everything. Even the late 80's and early 90's, a fast car was slower than a BRZ. 0-60 of 5+ or even 6+ seconds was fast. Often, 8 seconds was still very good. Cars were lighter in weight as well. They felt fast even when you weren't. Sure, we have computer nannies now but that doesn't make a very fast car safe for all drivers in all conditions. Also, since we didn't have the nannies, you had to learn how to control a car and would go to parking lots and toss them around to get a feeling for what it was like to lose control. It was easier to slide at slower speeds then too. Now, you need to be going rather fast before the nannies and tires will let you do anything and that gives you a false sense of security and that the nannies make you think you are a better driver than you really are. We haven't really started getting stupid fast until the last 10-15 years. Now, we have tall boxes on wheels that can go fast but cannot turn worth a darn without playing like rover (roll over and play dead) or have 'active braking' and stability control to try to help you stay upright as your body leans way over.
The real bad news is that cars are just getting more powerful and heavier. This way, when you hit something with all that weight and speed you simply decimate it. Of course, others could hit you too.

To the OP, learn by taking baby steps, If you do get another. Keep the car in rain snow mode and learn to drive slow. Learn to drive a stick smoothly. Fast is easy. Learn to drive so you do not feel the transition of the gears. If you drive an auto, God help you but hit the paddles and push it to a higher gear early so you limit the power. Better still, put the Mustang in the garage and get a small light car and learn to feel the car and how it reacts. Learn to recognize feedback. Heavy cars mask that. 3800lb Mustang hides a lot. Take driving lessons at a track. Grow up a little. IF you ever have a friend or loved one in the car, think what it would be like to be the cause of their death and you having to live with that. Once you get past 65 or is it less, the possibility of you or someone else dying goes up exponentially. Be aware that driving is a privilege and the state is just looking for any excuse to take that from you. Don't give them a reason. I had a friend's dad who did something stupid in a car and lost his legs. Driving was never the same for him with hand controls and a wheelchair. Many here have long driving histories. Let's hope you can one day say the same and give the advice we give to you to others so that you might help them to avoid a very bad mistake. We had the luck of slower cars. That benefit is now long gone and driver skill isn't so easily attained. all the best.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
When you compare what we drove to now, things were very different. Today, cars have too much power for the average Joe. In the middle 70's through the 80's, we had the gas crisis and emissions control and that neutered everything. Even the late 80's and early 90's, a fast car was slower than a BRZ. 0-60 of 5+ or even 6+ seconds was fast. Often, 8 seconds was still very good. Cars were lighter in weight as well.
We also had crap tires, drum brakes, a chassis you could twist if you jacked it up on a corner and huge bushings being used as the suspension movement. Those cars scare me more than anything made today. Remember what a Fox felt like turning in at speed hoping you had grip while the chassis squeaked?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Itā€™s not going to matter one bit if the OP buys and drives another S550 GT OR buys a 5 year old Prius...

Heā€™s still young, immature and inexperienced in road manners and how to cope or handle a vehicle when an unpredictable event comes up unexpectedly.

In no way is it meant as a bash, itā€™s just facts really.

The hydroplane would not have occurred if the OP was driving at a more controlled pace, was aware of his surroundings and fully knowing the pavement was saturated, but apparently was not in complete control of the vehicle.

Inexperience is inexperience - he can wreck, kill/injure himself or kill/injure someone else just as much in a Prius or an S550 with substantially more power... itā€™s not the type of car or the power it has, itā€™s the total lack of on the road experience. I donā€™t care if the OP drove 3,000 miles or 50,000 miles before his recent wreck, heā€™s still only 18 and most likely only has been legally driving (in some states) for either 1 year or less. The experience comes in YEARS of driving and dealing with all sorts of Highway settings and weather types, let alone thoroughly KNOWING your carā€™s capabilities in and out.

The OP should consider driving school or going to a driving event to be trained on how to control a vehicle during XYZ situations. It will not only be a learning experience, but it will help with future unexpected Highway events. Upon successful completion of the course, he might qualify for an Insurance discount (maybe).

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
Good lord! Itā€™s not 1000 horsepower.... I drove 35000 miles in just one year and the one accident I had at fault it was pouring down rain and I have a few scratches.
Iā€™ve been driving fast cars for about 45 years, maybe 800,000 miles, and Iā€™ve totaled exactly zero of them. Forgive me if Iā€™m not impressed by you having ā€˜onlyā€™ totaled one car in 35,000 miles.

Other posters are concerned for your safety in a GT. Iā€™m concerned for the safety of the other drivers around you.

To be clear, itā€™s not so much that you had an accident and were totally at fault, itā€™s that your responses here show you learned nothing from it.
Sponsored