Sponsored

Total Mustang sales 2019 figure

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That would be an enormous and heavy engine, even larger than the SOHC 6.2L, and would not make sense vs a smaller boosted engine.
It would be less expensive to produce than a unique boosted engine and it might weigh less as well. Since a twin turbo V8 doesn't fit in the engine compartment per some local experts (I think you may have posted that in the past) and a supercharger doesn't give fuel economy benefits and requires additional cooling (eg more mass), the larger displacement engine isn't that crazy of an idea.

And I don't think it would be that much heavier than the 5.0. A 10 mm increase in bore size would be plenty to get you to 6.0. So roughly a 1.5 inch length increase in the length of the engine which is a small percentage change.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It would be less expensive to produce than a unique boosted engine and it might weigh less as well. Since a twin turbo V8 doesn't fit in the engine compartment per some local experts (I think you may have posted that in the past) and a supercharger doesn't give fuel economy benefits and requires additional cooling (eg more mass), the larger displacement engine isn't that crazy of an idea.

And I don't think it would be that much heavier than the 5.0. A 10 mm increase in bore size would be plenty to get you to 6.0. So roughly a 1.5 inch length increase in the length of the engine which is a small percentage change.
Please, please give me a bigger motor.......
upload_2020-1-7_14-48-52.jpeg

Sorry, ain’t happening. :frown:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
S. Korea, Japan, and Germany seem to be building and selling a lot of cars here. Yeah, some are SUVs, but most are cars. GM, and Chrysler build the full gammit of cars, trucks, and SUVs. Ford on the other hand kept dropping car models because their sales weren't that good. They finally dropped the Crown Vic because only old people and police dept.s were buying them. Then the Taurus was dropped (it was too small to replace the CV). Now all those people who would have bought a Crown Vic are driving Chargers. Instead of upgrading the CV they just dropped it to become a truck company.
If Ford reintroduced the CV with a choice of either the 3.5 ecoboost or the 5.0, then maybe they'd become a car company again. After all, in the late 60s and early 70s you had a choice of engines so you could tailor your car from economy to a little sporty to really sporty to blow the doors off hauling ass muscle car, and they sold a bunch of all of them.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Well it'd also grow in width with that bore size change. It's already pretty close to the body structure. 5-7 mm doesn't sound like much but it would cause some significant packaging problems.

Twin turbos don't fit because you can't get cats in there with the architecture of the S550. The only way would be to do a hot-V ala the BMW M5. That would be a massive and expensive tear-up to car and engine.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
After all, in the late 60s and early 70s you had a choice of engines so you could tailor your car from economy to a little sporty to really sporty to blow the doors off hauling ass muscle car, and they sold a bunch of all of them.
They do this in the 21st century too. It’s called the EB & GT.
As far as the CV I’d rather have a Marauder but neither are ever going to happen.

Rocket403

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2010 Challenger RT 1980 Olds Cutlass 2018 Ram 1500 Sport 1996 Grand Marquis
I have owned 4 Crown/Marquis in the past these were the best Ford's that I owned much better build quality than my 2 Fox 5.0 Mustangs, the only thing that was needed was more power for the 4.6L the 302 was a much better engine.
I was sad to see Ford discontinue them, and now everyone that still wants a V8 large car is going to Dodge or getting a truck. Taking the kids to hockey for the last 20 years I always needed a car/van/truck that could take all the hockey gear, so now I have the truck as my last kid was a goalie so even the biggest car was not big enough.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well it'd also grow in width with that bore size change. It's already pretty close to the body structure. 5-7 mm doesn't sound like much but it would cause some significant packaging problems.
Right it doesn't sound like much - roughly the thickness of three or four quarters. I could see it requiring some slight design adjustments to the engine if not the body.

I realize it probably won't happen, but if Ford did go to a larger engine and the Mustang got the power bump that goes along with it, they would sell a lot of Mustangs. A LOT of Mustangs. A lot more than sticking with what they have or if they have to raise the price by $6,000-10,000 adding a supercharger to a 5.0 or something smaller displacement.

And Ford could sell a lot of F-150s if they put a 6.0 V8 with dual overhead cams into their pickups.

Rocket403

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2010 Challenger RT 1980 Olds Cutlass 2018 Ram 1500 Sport 1996 Grand Marquis
Ford gave up on cars but other companies are making them, there should be room for a large CV Dodge has shown that they can sell them.

The Mustang would sell more if you gave people more engine options, when I had my 2 Mustangs I went for the 5.0 LX it was great that I could get a non GT 5.0L

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Some of the comments here are baffling. Considering the whole car industry is down, the current gen Mustang started selling in 2014, and it's a relatively impractical 2 door sports coupe I just don't see how you would expect sales to go up year over year. Very, very few cars will see sales rise as the model ages. I mean none of this is really unexpected.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
so awesome to see a TiVCT 6.0 V8 or larger in the Mustang.

It would sell like hotcakes in the F-150 as well.
except they sell vanishingly few 5.0 in the F150 and even the 3.5EB is not exactly common. (I haven't looked at the pure XL work truck segment however - the 5.0 might dominate there)

The 3.5EB in a Mustang would be logical. A 6.0 would just be pointless. A sports car is supposed to rev, not trundle around at 4500 RPM. If you want that kind of engine output I suggest going back to the 450 big block motors from 40 years ago.

I think Ford could do a Panamera treatment on the Mustang by giving it "extended cab" rear-hinged half doors and changing the roof line a bit to move the rear seats back 4 maybe 5 inches. It won't be spacious but at least you won't have to be a double amputeee it occupy the seat. A stylized hatch-back trunk would make the trunk space considerably more accessible even if you lost volume from the seat move. Now you'd have a legitimate family friendly sports "coupe+".

The Charger sells because it handily accommodates 4 passengers and can thus be "justified" as a family-use vehicle even if the SUV is the one that gets the lion share of the miles and only dad drives it to work. But you can pile everyone in for a run to Denny's, ice cream stand or casual outing and nobody is gong to bitch about getting in/out or the ergonomics of the experience.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I agree, but what about us. Driving around in our 400+ HP cars. How often do we go to the track/strip or to use our power on the street? At least the truckers have space to put stuff :)
On a seasonal basis, I've seen as much as 20% of the miles I put on my car being on-track miles. On an annual basis, that's still more than 5% (though less than 10%).

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Sales of the Dodge Charger are up 21% from last year so the car is not dead yet, just give the people what they want and it will sell

https://www.torquenews.com/106/dodge-charger-bucks-industry-trends-posts-huge-sales-2019
The numbers are certainly good, but sales were still under 100k and only 40% of them had a V8. This for a car that essentially had the market segment to themselves.
It’s certainly fun to discuss the what ifs and why nots but the reality is none of this is ever going to happen.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A