Total Mustang sales 2019 figure

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If Ford had kept the Crown Vic around and not lost their balls then they would have something that could compete against the Charger, the sales of the Charger show that not everyone wants a small car with a small engine.
Ford doesn't want/need to compete against the Charger. You do know that they have dropped out of the car market wit the exception of the Mustang.

Mustang should have 2 V8 engine options as well on the GT
Most of us on here are praying for Ford to keep the one V8 we have. Why would Ford consider adding another engine? Even if they did what would it be and why would it matter?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Bottom line is regardless of what Ford does it it not going to bring the segment back to life. Cars in general have dropped off and 2 door coupes even more so. So let's enjoy what we have while we have them.
Car sales have dropped off due to what looks like a perfect storm between consumers being more than willing to buy SUVs, and car companies being more than willing to build only those things.

What kinds of vehicles are getting the vast majority of TV advertising time, and which come up front and center on mfr websites and as the default page when you hit the 'Vehicles' tab?

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford doesn't want/need to compete against the Charger. You do know that they have dropped out of the car market wit the exception of the Mustang.
And it looks like they're trying to sneak out of even that segment of the car market, if that Mach E thing is any indication at all.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They're large vehicles, offer a lot of value and features for the money. They do not try to be sports cars at all, pure muscle cars. For the buyer that wants that, they deliver. The vast majority are 3.6L V6 or 5.7L V8. Neither of those engines outperform the 2.3L and 5.0L. People are not so hung up on the size of the engine that they give up significant HP and vehicle performance. They just just want a big, chushy car with a lot of stuff. Anyone that buys a 5.7 over a 5.0 just because of extra 0.7L is a collossal idiot.
I remember driving a Challenger with the 5.7 years ago and thinking that the Mustang with the 3.5 V6 was quicker. At the time at least, the Dodge 5.7 was a complete boat anchor. The only reason to buy it is V8 noises. I agree the 5.0 is a better engine.

Now, the 6.4 with 485 HP or whatever it is, that's a decent engine.

You are probably right that larger size, comfort and price are winning it for Dodge. Much as I prefer smaller cars I realize many others don't. I do remember thinking the Challenger was nice and if I were to decide I was done with HPDE track days I would love to own one. But IMO only the GT350 out of the Mustangs is really set up for track days. Any other Mustang will get hot quickly if you drive fast on a road course. But at least the Mustang has good handling out of the box - better than the Challenger for sure.

Reactions: TDC

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Did I miss the part where Ford is #1 in the segment?
True, but it never hurts to look at what the customers prefer. That helps to guide any redesign efforts. The Mustang is #1, but not by a huge margin.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

Rocket403

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2010 Challenger RT 1980 Olds Cutlass 2018 Ram 1500 Sport 1996 Grand Marquis
Mustang in a newer platform that is only outselling a 15 year old platform by just over 10k, that Dodge platform accounts for 225k cars a year Challenger/Charger/300

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Be careful what you wish for. Today's customers want trucks, and CUV/SUV's and Ford is giving us that, in spades.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...rd-sold-u-s-last-year-were-trucks/2822744001/
I hate to say this, but the Mustang is already somewhat SUV-ish. The seats are relatively high off the ground and the roof is high as well.

And I bought a more sporty car (C5 Z06) and I really don't like it as much as I thought I would. I don't see the Mustang ever becoming what I want (basically a 944, using manual transaxle with a V8 in front), so I'm resigned to that fate.

And I REALLY hate to say this, but it wouldn't kill me if the Mustang got slightly larger and higher off the ground. If that's what Ford needs to do to get lots of sales and keep a 2 door, V8, sporty car going from a sales standpoint - I'm alright with it. Hopefully Ford will continue to offer a track hardened version of it.

I would really have no problem if Ford went to a smaller V8 with boost either. Something like a 4.0 EB V8 would be fine in my book.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
A twin turbo V-6 in a Mustang would rock. It's the only feature that might lure me back to a GM product some day. Those Cadillacs are fast.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A twin turbo V-6 in a Mustang would rock. It's the only feature that might lure me back to a GM product some day. Those Cadillacs are fast.
I hate the sound of almost every V6. The Ferrari based Alfa V6 sounds good, but IMO all others are so terrible it would be a strong reason NOT to buy a car.

Even the Porsche flat sixes only sound good because they can rev to 9,000 rpm or so. IMO they aren't generally good sounding either.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sad part is that most truck buyers never use the vehicle for its intended purpose.. To haul stuff!!! Ok maybe once or twice a year.. crazy.
But the truck buyers could definitely support a larger displacement V8 with sales volume. It would be so awesome to see a TiVCT 6.0 V8 or larger in the Mustang.

It would sell like hotcakes in the F-150 as well.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I would really have no problem if Ford went to a smaller V8 with boost either. Something like a 4.0 EB V8 would be fine in my book.
Yeah, I kind of thought at one point they might go all in on the whole "Ecoboost" idea, and do a TT V6, maybe kind of mid-tier - heck with the high[er] output 3.0L V6 TT putting out 400 HP, they'd need more differentiation with the GT (even if the previous was detuned down to like 385), i.e., @Hack's suggestion, boosted V8, maybe 4-ish liters, 525-550HP.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
t would be so awesome to see a TiVCT 6.0 V8 or larger in the Mustang.
That would be an enormous and heavy engine, even larger than the SOHC 6.2L, and would not make sense vs a smaller boosted engine.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Sad part is that most truck buyers never use the vehicle for its intended purpose.. To haul stuff!!! Ok maybe once or twice a year.. crazy.
I agree, but what about us. Driving around in our 400+ HP cars. How often do we go to the track/strip or to use our power on the street? At least the truckers have space to put stuff :)
Sponsored