Total Mustang sales 2019 figure

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
With sales being slow, hopefully Ford will do what Dodge has done and add power and comfort. In my opinion it's time for Ford to move beyond the 5.0 and go larger. Much as I'd like to see the Mustang get smaller, sales figures show that most people like the bigger cars better. I think a minor refresh with some 5.2 engines available at a minimum would be a good move. I'd prefer to see Ford go to 5.5 or 5.7 liters at least.
The other thing is the seats could be improved in my opinion. Focus on interior comfort. More content in the base cars would probably help as well.
Never gonna happen.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
With sales being slow, hopefully Ford will do what Dodge has done and add power and comfort. In my opinion it's time for Ford to move beyond the 5.0 and go larger. Much as I'd like to see the Mustang get smaller, sales figures show that most people like the bigger cars better. I think a minor refresh with some 5.2 engines available at a minimum would be a good move. I'd prefer to see Ford go to 5.5 or 5.7 liters at least.
The other thing is the seats could be improved in my opinion. Focus on interior comfort. More content in the base cars would probably help as well.
As much as I'd love the larger engines, I just don't see it happening in the current climate (pardon the pun). Most manufacturers are downsizing engines, not increasing capacity. If we're lucky, we'll see the 5.2 (in normally aspirated cross plane crank configuration) in the Mach 1......but I don't see that ever going in the GT. More than likely, it'll be hybrid power that gives us any extra power and torque. With luck, that'll still be mated to the current (or mildly revised) Coyote. Again though, I don't see that in the "base" GT.

Perhaps, rather like the last time the muscle cars died out in the early 70's, we'll see a revival of the "personal luxury coupe" type Mustang. A new Grande? Better interior materials would certainly be a good move, along with (useful) tech. Sync 4 is coming, so I'd expect to see that in the '21MY. But, Ford certainly need to keep Mustang fresh, or those sales will just slide further.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Never gonna happen.
You may be right, and if so sales will probably continue their downward trend. Styling and power improvements outside of cubic inches might help, however. For instance, the Dodges use a lot of supercharged vehicles and supercharged 5.0 V8s would probably sell well in the Mustang as well. Not what I want, but I think a lot of other people do.

My biggest takeaway is that Ford should look at their competitors and do the things that have given more success and not do things that aren't working as well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As much as I'd love the larger engines, I just don't see it happening in the current climate (pardon the pun). Most manufacturers are downsizing engines, not increasing capacity. If we're lucky, we'll see the 5.2 (in normally aspirated cross plane crank configuration) in the Mach 1......but I don't see that ever going in the GT. More than likely, it'll be hybrid power that gives us any extra power and torque. With luck, that'll still be mated to the current (or mildly revised) Coyote. Again though, I don't see that in the "base" GT.

Perhaps, rather like the last time the muscle cars died out in the early 70's, we'll see a revival of the "personal luxury coupe" type Mustang. A new Grande? Better interior materials would certainly be a good move, along with (useful) tech. Sync 4 is coming, so I'd expect to see that in the '21MY. But, Ford certainly need to keep Mustang fresh, or those sales will just slide further.
I think the current direction in the US is an improvement over the past when the drive was to push the ICE out of existence. We currently have more reasonable people (at least one more reasonable person) working to try to give people back some freedom to buy what they want.

I wasn't trying to get into politics. I was trying to just talk about what I think would improve Mustang sales. Not sure why everyone wants to talk politics here in this forum. I really have no problem with it, but usually at least some people complain when threads move into more of a political direction.

Back to the main point I was trying to make is you can see what people who are buying Mustang/Challenger/Camaro want - big cars with big V8 engines. And it seems that people don't care too much about having the latest. They just want a classic good looking style and a good price for it.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If we're lucky, we'll see the 5.2 (in normally aspirated cross plane crank configuration) in the Mach 1......but I don't see that ever going in the GT.
Yeah, since that motor is getting action in the GT350 and the GT500, I mean, at least the block/displacement, it would be cool to see it in a non-ADM-Shelby priced vehicle. Seems like a 5.2 and a few tweaks would make for an easy 500HP N/A car, and as a side effect help to dilute some of the costs of that engine[?]

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You may be right, and if so sales will probably continue their downward trend. Styling and power improvements outside of cubic inches might help, however. For instance, the Dodges use a lot of supercharged vehicles and supercharged 5.0 V8s would probably sell well in the Mustang as well. Not what I want, but I think a lot of other people do.

My biggest takeaway is that Ford should look at their competitors and do the things that have given more success and not do things that aren't working as well.
Ford is currently too driven by lawyers, dime-a-dozen MBAs and non-car-person sales people to ever do that. Dodge understands the place they want to play in: the brash, loud, strong guy in the bar. I respect the hell out of them for knowing where they can win and sticking to it. They're printing money with the charger and challenger.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree it would be nice to see the 5.2 in some cars, but with the displacement bump being so absolutely tiny I don't see much call for it. Right now it's more of a number differentiator than an actual difference. A 4% increase in displacement / power is not even something you will notice. Maybe a 5.2 with a super charger - yes that would be a great offer that people would want.

Really going to a 5.7 with a little over a 10% change would be the minimum displacement increase that would do something other than a sales/market B.S. kind of change. I do agree from a sales and marketing standpoint the 5.2 might do something for Mustang sales, but it's really a nothing burger as far as a real performance improvement type of change. More something like Porsche would offer than a real meat and potatoes American displacement change that will get people super interested.

Probably the lowest cost changes that could improve Mustang sales are things like seat comfort and interior content. Not really what I would be looking for, but those are some of the bigger differentiators I see comparing Mustang and Challenger outside of engine size.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it would be nice to see the 5.2 in some cars, but with the displacement bump being so absolutely tiny I don't see much call for it. Right now it's more of a number differentiator than an actual difference. A 4% increase in displacement / power is not even something you will notice. Maybe a 5.2 with a super charger - yes that would be a great offer that people would want.

Really going to a 5.7 with a little over a 10% change would be the minimum displacement increase that would do something other than a sales/market B.S. kind of change. I do agree from a sales and marketing standpoint the 5.2 might do something for Mustang sales, but it's really a nothing burger as far as a real performance improvement type of change. More something like Porsche would offer than a real meat and potatoes American displacement change that will get people super interested.

Probably the lowest cost changes that could improve Mustang sales are things like seat comfort and interior content. Not really what I would be looking for, but those are some of the bigger differentiators I see comparing Mustang and Challenger outside of engine size.
I really don't agree that a larger displacement NA engine will help. There are just fewer people who want to buy this type of car anymore. Ford offers a very powerful NA V8 with a stick, in configurations from DD cruiser to track weapon. There's a small amount of retiree-aged and even smaller amount of track rats who'd want a bigger V8. The rest don't honestly care. They can get 460-526 hp with a stick, or 460-760 hp with an auto. Dodge and GM have to stick with larger displacement because they are retaining pushrod, OHV architecture. They'd be uncompetitive at ~5.0L.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really don't agree that a larger displacement NA engine will help. There are just fewer people who want to buy this type of car anymore. Ford offers a very powerful NA V8 with a stick, in configurations from DD cruiser to track weapon. There's a small amount of retiree-aged and even smaller amount of track rats who'd want a bigger V8. The rest don't honestly care. They can get 460-526 hp with a stick, or 460-760 hp with an auto. Dodge and GM have to stick with larger displacement because they are retaining pushrod, OHV architecture. They'd be uncompetitive at ~5.0L.
I get it, you disagree with me about why people buy Dodge products. I said big, comfortable and engines that make a lot of power - and at a good price. Why do you think people are buying the Challenger and Charger?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you think people are buying the Challenger and Charger?
platform.
It doesn't look like a 'sports' car. It looks like a muscle sedan (2-door peer notwithstanding). The interior is huge and the back seat is totally useful unlike the pathetic excuse of one in the Mustang/Camaro. One STUPID and senseless mistake GM/Ford made on their 2-door is the inability to rapid-transit the front seats to the front. One button and the seats should slam forward and then slam back into their locked state - the electric motor is only for positioning the relative location of the seat undercarriage.

Price wise it's probably a wash. They didn't break down the engine size figures but Chargers are not all running around with the V8 in them. I see quite a few Mustangs on the road (mostly S197) but the number of Chargers is vastly higher. You have to admit it looks GOOD. The Camaro is an acquired taste and the impractical-looking Mustang is something only someone who is a fan will gravitate toward. If Toyota/Nissan came up with a 'muscle' sedan, the big-3 wouldn't have a prayer.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I get it, you disagree with me about why people buy Dodge products. I said big, comfortable and engines that make a lot of power - and at a good price. Why do you think people are buying the Challenger and Charger?
They're large vehicles, offer a lot of value and features for the money. They do not try to be sports cars at all, pure muscle cars. For the buyer that wants that, they deliver. The vast majority are 3.6L V6 or 5.7L V8. Neither of those engines outperform the 2.3L and 5.0L. People are not so hung up on the size of the engine that they give up significant HP and vehicle performance. They just just want a big, chushy car with a lot of stuff. Anyone that buys a 5.7 over a 5.0 just because of extra 0.7L is a collossal idiot.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If the Camaro goes away as expected, there are potentially more sales for Ford and Dodge to split. I don't see the Corvette poaching very many of those.
On the flip side, one less competitor means one more reason for Ford to cancel the S650.

Lack of trust of the Ecoboost.
No V-6 option.
Quality issues with the 5.0
Lack of a large displacement V-8
No Cobra Jet offering

If Ford would address these issues, sales would take off again.
The EB has been solid for years. Ford isn't losing any sales there.
The V-6 was nice but again wouldn't make much of a difference.
The 5.0 engine issues are internet fueled and blown way out of proportion. Not to say there aren't issues just not enough to scare people away.
You really want more weight on the front of a GT? 5.0, 460HP is fine. You want more, SC it.
New special edition models would certainly help but would only add a small amount to the total

If Ford continues to refine the current Mustang chassis and offer special edition packages, I think they will make enough money to keep the Mustang from dying.
The small amount of profit Ford makes on the Mustang is meaningless in the overall corporate structure. Even doubling sales wouldn't really mean anything.

Did I miss the part where Ford is #1 in the segment? :)
The Camaro will be going away again. The Challenger only sells when Dodge puts huge rebates on them. The Charger is nice but its a four door sedan. Doesn't play in the Pony-car segment.

Anyone that buys a 5.7 over a 5.0 just because of extra 0.7L is a collossal idiot.
Well................Ok, maybe just a little silly.:wink:

Bottom line is regardless of what Ford does it it not going to bring the segment back to life. Cars in general have dropped off and 2 door coupes even more so. So let's enjoy what we have while we have them.

Rocket403

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2010 Challenger RT 1980 Olds Cutlass 2018 Ram 1500 Sport 1996 Grand Marquis
If Ford had kept the Crown Vic around and not lost their balls then they would have something that could compete against the Charger, the sales of the Charger show that not everyone wants a small car with a small engine.
Mustang should have 2 V8 engine options as well on the GT

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
As others have already said, that's simply not going to happen. There is not enough room to increase the bore size beyond the current voodoo block and all the tooling is already set up for 100mm bore spacing. The cost to revamp the current tooling and production lines would be enormous and Ford will never see a ROI.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If Ford had kept the Crown Vic around and not lost their balls then they would have something that could compete against the Charger, the sales of the Charger show that not everyone wants a small car with a small engine.
Or an SUV/CUV of any description, either.

Norm
Sponsored