Sponsored

Total Mustang sales 2019 figure

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder what the engine breakdown is for the Charger/Challenger twins. Supposedly the best selling Challenger (no less) trim is the V6+8auto.
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I wonder what the engine breakdown is for the Charger/Challenger twins. Supposedly the best selling Challenger (no less) trim is the V6+8auto.
It would not surprise me in the least if that was the case. I started out looking at the Challenger V6 Plus, which was really well equipped for the money. It was tough to find a car on the lot equipped the way I wanted it, which was with the tech package (for the adaptive cruise) and the driver convenience package (which I think include BLIS), a sunroof and either the stock or one up stereo and, of course, in the colour I wanted. In any event, other things came into play and I ended up with what I have, in part due to my wife suggesting that I'd really be more happy with a convertible.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
And they also dropped the ball on not offering the Premium package on the V6, although I think they did that on purpose to force sales to the Ecoboost.
The V6, especially in convertible form was mainly for rentals. No need for a premium version. The Ecoboost was still a question mark in 2015 and Ford needed the reliability of the V6. Once the EB had proven itself the V6 was dropped.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
The V6, especially in convertible form was mainly for rentals. No need for a premium version. The Ecoboost was still a question mark in 2015 and Ford needed the reliability of the V6. Once the EB had proven itself the V6 was dropped.
Oh, I'm well aware of the rental angle, but that doesn't mean the rest of the buying public wouldn't have bought the premium. I wanted leather, so a V6 was (forced) off the list.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Oh, I'm well aware of the rental angle, but that doesn't mean the rest of the buying public wouldn't have bought the premium. I wanted leather, so a V6 was (forced) off the list.
I’m with you 100%. I would have bought one instead of my 15EB. Another genius move by Ford marketing :idea:

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Just thinking back to the 60s and 70s era muscle cars, all of the manufacturers made limited runs of their performance cars with OMG engines. All of those cars now bring OMG prices in the collector market.

Now on to Ford truck engines. I was looking at the review of the new 2020 Ford Super Duty 250/350 pickup trucks. This interested me not because I like trucks, but because I have to have one in the 250/350 size. The gas engine is a 7.3 liter with 430 horse power and 475 ft./lb. of torque. The diesel is 6.7 liter with 475 horses and 1,050 ft./lb. of torque.
Now I'm impressed with the diesel and would rather have that one, but I'll probably end up with the 7.3 if I trade. I know you can get more HP out of the 7.3 but it would seem like a lot of work.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the no V-6 option creates the greater loss of sales.
Traditionally, a lot of USA drivers like the mustang platform, both genders,
youth to retired ages, but they don't care about laying down smoke. The
two engine only option took Mustang out of the 10,000 unit/month range.
Check the sales history. The convertible buyers especially were interested in the
V6. I bought my V6 as DD to replace a Crown Vic. What a great buy. It won't beat
anything in a drag race. A lot of buyers just want to drive something cool.
While I am impressed with high end performance, and glad they keep making
it higher, the greater share of sports/pony car market can live without 10 second
quarter mile @ 136 mph.
You could be right. It was my choice when I first bought a Mustang and I prefer a V6 over a turbo 4.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You aren't wrong. No one is spending big money on new engine development right now, and they certainly aren't dumping cash into larger NA engines that won't meet fuel economy or emissions standards. Hell, my company is cutting all diesel system manufacturing in the USA. Personally, I would rather have a lighter and more powerful turbo 6 than a heavier NA V8. I am one of the people who value performance well above sound or simplicity. I have also been a development engineer for 14 years, so I am not afraid of technology. I work on the most complicated diesel fuel systems on a daily basis.
Don't get me wrong I like complicated stuff as well, but I realize there's a hit to reliability and that the cost will be higher. Depends on what you want. I don't really care about fuel efficiency, but power, cost and reliability matter a lot.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I don't really care about fuel efficiency, but power, cost and reliability matter a lot.
And that’s where the disconnect is. What you care the least about is what the industry is being forced to care the most about. Trying to get a balance of the four things you want is Herculean task. I’m thinking Ford with the Coyote and Voodoo are doing a pretty decent job.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Mustang brand will do well going forward. I think the new Bronco will do well (I want one).

The current F-series truck line has lead the world for 46 years. I think the SUVs are doing OK.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Just thinking back to the 60s and 70s era muscle cars, all of the manufacturers made limited runs of their performance cars with OMG engines. All of those cars now bring OMG prices in the collector market.

Now on to Ford truck engines. I was looking at the review of the new 2020 Ford Super Duty 250/350 pickup trucks. This interested me not because I like trucks, but because I have to have one in the 250/350 size. The gas engine is a 7.3 liter with 430 horse power and 475 ft./lb. of torque. The diesel is 6.7 liter with 475 horses and 1,050 ft./lb. of torque.
Now I'm impressed with the diesel and would rather have that one, but I'll probably end up with the 7.3 if I trade. I know you can get more HP out of the 7.3 but it would seem like a lot of work.
I couldn't buy an F250 without the diesel, and not just because it was my project. After driving one, the torque is hard to replace. If I needed to tow a boat (when I buy another), that would be perfect.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Don't get me wrong I like complicated stuff as well, but I realize there's a hit to reliability and that the cost will be higher. Depends on what you want. I don't really care about fuel efficiency, but power, cost and reliability matter a lot.
There is no data that shows the Gen 3 Coyote will be less reliable than the Gen 1 or 2. Yeah, there is a weird rattle they all have, but that has nothing to do with the new fuel systems. For me, I wanted the most power for the weight, and the best system for modding. You can support low boost SC/TC systems without changing the injectors in a Gen 3 Coyote. That is the benefit of having 2 fuel systems. All this discussion on reliability means little if the car itself can't last as long as the engine. That seems to be a bigger issue in the Mustang. If you drive it the way it was meant to be driven, the suspension, clutch, bushings, etc. will all need replaced long before any part of the engine.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I think the Mustang brand will do well going forward. I think the new Bronco will do well (I want one).

The current F-series truck line has lead the world for 46 years. I think the SUVs are doing OK.
If they put a small diesel in that Bronco, I would have to have it.

You are right, a majority of Ford's profit comes from the F series. The trucks are the only reason they can play around building cars like the Mustang.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I think the F150 is way over priced compared to the Super Duty. I just hope Average Joe doesn't discover this, and keeps buying F150s. I'd hate to see the Super Duty get all screwed up if it became mainstream. The Gov.t would demand Ford do something about that 13mpg gas mileage.:cwl:
Sponsored