Torsen IRS Troubleshoot to Resolve

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I drive my Stang hard. The pumpkin has barfed out all three holes. So what would cause this? What can I do to resolve it? I have the Full-Tilt-Boogie cooler to install but is there anything else I need?
I know that there is a seal for the front (pinion) I have a new one to install but the driver's side and passenger's side are there seals to be replaced there too?
Thanks

16 Mustang IRS Leak Ct.jpg

16 Mustang IRS Leak Dr.jpg

16 Mustang IRS Leak Pa.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The side seepage at the axle seals is pretty much normal, that could be seen on brand new S550’s after a few miles. Spray down the housing with carb cleaner to remove a lot of the residual, then go for a 10-20 mile drive and see if it comes back and if it does to what extent..

Is the rear leaving any liquid on the ground at your home where the car is usually parked? Is the underside of the car chassis saturated in gear oil? If the answer is no, then it’s not a real concern.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Answer is yes. It's coming out of the front (pinion) and running toward the center. So change the front seal?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Answer is yes. It's coming out of the front (pinion) and running toward the center. So change the front seal?
Yes, if it’s coming from the pinion seal for certain, you’re going to need to change it.

If you haven’t, I would still spray down everything with some cleaner, wipe dry with a shop towel or microfiber - go drive it and see if it’s definitley coming from the front pinion seal.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, if it’s coming from the pinion seal for certain, you’re going to need to change it.

If you haven’t, I would still spray down everything with some cleaner, wipe dry with a shop towel or microfiber - go drive it and see if it’s definitley coming from the front pinion seal.
It's definitely coming from the front.
Drops will collect after a good run under the front snout.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ObnoxiousGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT / 71 TORINO
It's definitely coming from the front.
Drops will collect after a good run under the front snout.
Was following your conversation. Have you replace the seal yet? If so, did you dis it yourself? I am in search of some instruction how to change my own.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was following your conversation. Have you replace the seal yet? If so, did you dis it yourself? I am in search of some instruction how to change my own.
I have not replaced the seal yet. (I'm just procrastinating) I will do it myself. I have the Ford tool to remove the yoke.
It's not hard, mark everything. Impact wrench is Not recommended. I will figure something out to install the seal evenly.

ObnoxiousGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT / 71 TORINO
I have not replaced the seal yet. (I'm just procrastinating) I will do it myself. I have the Ford tool to remove the yoke.
It's not hard, mark everything. Impact wrench is Not recommended. I will figure something out to install the seal evenly.
What is the ford tool used to remove the yoke? Where can I get one also?

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is the ford tool used to remove the yoke? Where can I get one also?
Sorry special tool to install the drive pinion flange
Special Service Tool: 205-233 (T85T-4851-AH) Installer
At Freedom Racing
I don't know if you want to drop the coin for something you might only use once.
To hold the pinion flange from turning I'll figure something out (a bar with a couple of holes to bolt up to the flange should work) and then a pulley puller to pull flange off.

Sponsored

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
An old school y shaped harmonic balancer puller will get it done, It is what I think I ended up using to pull the yoke.

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
All 3? I would pull the vent off and make sure it's clean or maybe it was over filled?
Sponsored