Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
  • Banned
Surprised they actually liked an American made car. Then again, Jeremy is gone so maybe this is the new way :)

So it's finally here, then?

Not quite. This is the Mustang, the global Mustang, the one they will be selling in Britain in right-hand-drive. But not until autumn. This is the left-hand-drive version.

We've driven it in Germany, and it has the same spec as the UK car, and we know the UK prices. So it is tantalisingly close to being here, but it isn't quite... finally... here... yet.

What's it got, what'll it do and what's it cost?

It's pretty similar to the US version, but with the America's optional performance pack fitted as standard. That means a 421bhp all-aluminium four-cam V8, six-speed manual, limited-slip diff, big Brembo brakes and 19-inch wheels.

It'll do 0-62mph in 4.8secs, claims Ford. And with standard launch control, track timer and g-meter, climate control, colour media screen and xenons, it's just £33,005. Premium audio and navigation, and big-bucket Recaros, are on the good-value options list, as is an automatic gearbox.

A bargain, then?

Yes, lots of on-paper spec and performance. Look at it in terms of European rear-drive coupes: it's the size of a BMW 6-Series V8, at the price of a 2-Series four-cylinder.

But does it feel cheaply done?

The engine is hale and hearty, the dynamics engaging, and the cabin is on-par with Euro-Ford levels of quality but has a character all of its own. Neither premium nor cruddy. On the road it's refined, a quiet high-speed cruiser, and the structure feels reassuringly solid.

What of the go and stop departments?

The V8 is generous but the effect isn't blazingly quick because it's working against 1651kg of prime US beef. You need to use revs, but it's happy to join you in that enterprise. The sound is key to the very Mustang-ness of the thing: an honest harmony of metal and gases.

TG drove a US-spec 'Stang through every American state. See how we got on here

There's transmission shunt at low speed (improved since we drove the early US cars, but still present) and a mismatch in weight between the meaty shift and over-light brake pedal, at least until you start braking harder and find the calipers' natural progression.

Is it a cart-sprung American wallow-barge with no idea about cornering?

Oh do keep up. This Mustang has all-new independent suspension. It corners very entertainingly, with progressive reactions and a wide choice of angles from neat-and-tidy to smoky-and-lairy.

At high speed the steering is a touch nervous, and in tight corners there's a rubbery smudginess to the reactions, but work through that and it's very capable. The suspension is a little soft at speed - and the weight doesn't help - but that allows it to work well over the sort of broken roads we get in Britain.

Big, though?

You really won't let your prejudices drop will you? Although you might have a point this time. It feels wide, but no more so than some of Europe's grander coupes. And this helps make it a useable everyday prospect, thanks to a decent boot and kid-capable back seats.

Gas guzzling?

OK, OK, another prejudice confirmed. This V8 Mustang rates at 20.9mpg and 299g/km. Sure that's a lot of tax, but mentally offset it against the low price of the actual car.

And the thing is, you might well match that consumption day-to-day. Downsized Euro-engines with turbos seldom get near their official figures. More of an annoyance is the pathetic 61-litre fuel tank, so the comfortable range is under 250 miles.

Anyway, if you want this as a company car, there's always the 2.3-litre, four-cylinder Ecoboost version, at 179g/km and 5.8-second 0-62mph time.

Do I still want one?

If you always fancied a Mustang, this is the one that you buy without your petrolhead mates laughing at you. It's really perfectly competent under any stony-hearted analysis, while still being able to paint a muscle-car grin clear across your face.

I suspect down a B-road it won't see which way the new Focus RS went, but Ford's Performance division is giving you lots of choices these days and for that alone we can be grateful...
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/ford-mustang-review-in-europe-2015-05-07
Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Wait, so the Brits can have an Auto GT PP? :doh::frusty:
I just don't understand......:shrug:

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
We have guns. :headbang:

(Apologies, I could not resist:D)

jasonc0604

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus SE "Slocus"
I thought British petrolheads loved rowing gears.:shrug:

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We have guns. :headbang:

(Apologies, I could not resist:D)
Yeah, well, we have Crumpets!

I thought British petrolheads loved rowing gears.:shrug:
We do, 80%~90% of new cars are Manual even when they have Automatics available on those models. You'd think it would be Manual only in the UK and have the option of an Auto in the USA.

Sponsored

Ron Avery

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT coupe
Nice review, what is with the HP # we list it has 435 HP, THEY LIST IT HAS 421HP:shrug::crazy:
Ron

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nice review, what is with the HP # we list it has 435 HP, THEY LIST IT HAS 421HP:shrug::crazy:
Ron
I think this was discussed in another thread.

Its a combination of different testing methods and horsepower ratings. Drive magazine in Australia approached Ford about this, and it was confirmed that its exactly the same engine and power output, but different testing methods give a lower figure.

Its also why in European publications, the Hellcat twins from Dodge were listed as 697hp instead of 707.

deven2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deven
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT w/ PP
Ron
^ this immediately crossed my mind when I read that in the transcript...

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Did anyone else read this and head Richard Hammond's voice reading it in your head?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BBB

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Ron
Might have to do something with the gas that they have over there. Ours are 435*

* = using 93 octane

FelixGER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2015 EU / Race Red
The V8 is generous but the effect isn't blazingly quick because it's working against 1651kg of prime US beef.

That´s the first time I hear the V8 is not quick. Jesus...what about the Ecoboost? Like a Golf TDI? ;)
Or they really detuned it for Europe.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
"The suspension is a little soft at speed"

Funny how this contrasts some of the complaints of the PP being too stiff on this site.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That´s the first time I hear the V8 is not quick. Jesus...what about the Ecoboost? Like a Golf TDI? ;)
Or they really detuned it for Europe.
Well, what you have to keep in mind is that in the UK where this site is based, a Golf R (to give one example) with a 2.0L Turbo is both £3000 cheaper and slightly faster off the mark than a Coyote V8. The Ecoboost with a 5.8s 0-60 time actually matches some of the more extreme FWD Hot Hatchbacks we have on sale here, such as the Megane 275 and Astra VXR.

When we think fast V8 in the UK, we envision "rip your face off" cars that are under 4s to 60 like the Jag F-Type V8 and Corvette C7.

The Mustang is HEAVY, pure and simple. 4.5~5.0s to 60mph off the line isn't all that impressive for a 5.0L V8 these days. However, the Mustang is a GT car, not a Sports Car. Just like, say, an Aston Martin Vantage, its designed to eat miles and take a corner reasonably well with good in-gear shunt at the top of the rev counter - not Scalextrix around a track like a Porsche Cayman.

As for detuning, it hasn't. Ford confirmed to Australian media that the difference in power is purely from vastly different testing standards. All the engines have the same power. This is, again, why the 707hp Hellcat is rated for 697hp in Europe.

"The suspension is a little soft at speed"

Funny how this contrasts some of the complaints of the PP being too stiff on this site.
One thing I can safely say is that we Europeans love rock solid sport suspension. Even cars like the Juke NISMO for the EU market have been tweaked to ride like the springs have been replaced with bricks (corners nice and flat for such a tall car, though)
Sponsored