Status
Not open for further replies.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I get what you are saying.

That said, as you know, there is a lot more to the '18 than just than just 25 more hp. Take each incremental improvement/upgrade as a whole and I definitely see why a current s550 owner may want to move into an '18.
$15k+ difference? You're looking at the depreciation hit of your current car plus the extra costs associated with the MY18.

Again, think exactly what an extra $15k could buy.

Those incremental improvements aren't going to depreciate the 15-17 mustangs any faster....like when the coyote was implemented mid model year.

Quite honestly, in 2 years one could sell their current S550 and pick up a used MY18 and spend a minimal amount of money for the upgrade.
Sponsored

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
TOP 5 REASONS TO BUY A 2018 MUSTANG

If you’re in the same position as many other enthusiasts out there, then you’re probably pondering whether or not you should pick up the 2018 Mustang once it hits showroom floors. We’re here to tell you that the 2018 Mustang is awesome, and you’ll definitely want to pick it up after reading about a few key reasons.

For the 2018 model year, Ford has thrown even more technology at the S550 and made it an even more desirable car to almost any automotive enthusiast out there. With such great technological advances and an ever-growing popular front fascia change, it’s no wonder you’re probably contemplating trading in your current Mustang (or other vehicle) and picking up a 2018 Mustang for yourself.

You can read our full article HERE, in our Resource Center.

You are opening a can of worms....:D

Let the debate begin...

As a side note.... I too love that new digital gauge cluster, but as a mature adult I remember all those fancy digital clusters from years past that all the auto manufacturers where going crazy adding them to their upscale models... NICE at first but when shit starts going digitally wrong with them, then they wont seem so COOL....:headbonk:

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
My third Mustang GT was a S197 2005 Mustang which I owned from new in '05 for 10 years and 78,000 miles. I almost bought a 2015 GT PP, but then decided to switch gears and try a BMW. After almost 3 years with the M235i I'm ready to get back to a V8.

I was pretty sure I was getting a Camaro 2SS 1LE, but after seeing the changes in the 2018 Mustang, and especially the PP Lvl 2 announcement, now I'm not sure. The 5 reasons listed in the video are all good ones. Active exhaust and the PP2 are icing on top. Add in the better visibility and the Mustang is the better daily driver.

The PP2 should be close in performance to the 1LE, but even if it is still behind on a road course, it will be competitive. Besides, they don't hand out any trophies at HPDE track days, and it never bothered me if I got passed by a better driver - as long as I'm driving as hard as I can I'm happy.

Only two things the 1LE has that the PP2 Mustang doesn't:

HUD
PDR

But Mustang seems to have the edge in a lot of categories now.

I can't decide.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
$15k+ difference? You're looking at the depreciation hit of your current car plus the extra costs associated with the MY18.

Again, think exactly what an extra $15k could buy.

Those incremental improvements aren't going to depreciate the 15-17 mustangs any faster....like when the coyote was implemented mid model year.

Quite honestly, in 2 years one could sell their current S550 and pick up a used MY18 and spend a minimal amount of money for the upgrade.
I'm not saying it is the best idea financially, but I can understand why someone would want to do it.

No doubt 15k can get you a lot performance wise. But it most likely can't get you a lot of the items one can tick off (or that come standard on the '18) when ordering an '18.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For me top 5 reasons

1) CLUSTER
2) CLUSTER
3) CLUSTER
4) CLUSTER
5) CLUSTER

You need to see it in person, it's really that impressive. None of the pics and videos I saw online do it any justice.
I expect to see a “hack” in the DIY section on how to integrate the all digital cluster in an optioned 2018 to a non-optioned 2018 - there’s a lot of real smart folks in the As Built thread, they’ll figure it out...

Sponsored

metros11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SS 1LE

HUD
PDR
I'm looking at a 1SS 1LE myself as well. I didn't think the HUD was that big a deal until I drove a Chevy SS with one... it's pretty damn cool and very usable. I'd even go as far as saying I prefer that to a digital cluster.

The performance data recorder is absolutely wonderful, if you go to a lot of track day events. And my beef with that is, for $1300 they couldn't put in a High Def camera?!?

And as I mentioned in a previous post, you're also getting a trans and differential coolers with the Chevy, which don't come on a Mustang. Not really a big deal, or shouldn't be, but do you really want to spend $45K and show up to the track only to limp your way back to the paddock like the the 2016 GT350 owners?!?

I test drove a Camaro the other day, and visibility wasn't as much of an issue to me as it is to others. I even brought my kid with me to test out the rear seats and make sure my boys will fit, they did. But I'm not about to commit to a 1LE until I drive the new Mustang. Ultimately it's more of daily than it is a track rat. So I'm waiting for them to arrive at my local dealers.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
1. active quad exhaust
2. 10-speed auto
3. red leather recaros
4. digital cluster
5. satin trim pieces (no more chrome!)
38. exterior styling

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
I think the new C7 corvette looks hideous. Like Frankenstein's monster with those Awful black accents and square weird dimensions. i would talk even the V6 Mustang over a new C7. Its my opinion I'm sorry. I loved the 99-2005 corvette look. What the heck is this new contraption?
At least when I get into a Mustang it reminds me so much of getting into a 1968 Mustang. It has a historic feel where the corvette has lost that feel and look. Anyplace agree?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm not saying it is the best idea financially, but I can understand why someone would want to do it.

No doubt 15k can get you a lot performance wise. But it most likely can't get you a lot of the items one can tick off (or that come standard on the '18) when ordering an '18.
There is always a want for the latest and greatest. :thumbsup:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
My third Mustang GT was a S197 2005 Mustang which I owned from new in '05 for 10 years and 78,000 miles. I almost bought a 2015 GT PP, but then decided to switch gears and try a BMW. After almost 3 years with the M235i I'm ready to get back to a V8.

I was pretty sure I was getting a Camaro 2SS 1LE, but after seeing the changes in the 2018 Mustang, and especially the PP Lvl 2 announcement, now I'm not sure. The 5 reasons listed in the video are all good ones. Active exhaust and the PP2 are icing on top. Add in the better visibility and the Mustang is the better daily driver.

The PP2 should be close in performance to the 1LE, but even if it is still behind on a road course, it will be competitive. Besides, they don't hand out any trophies at HPDE track days, and it never bothered me if I got passed by a better driver - as long as I'm driving as hard as I can I'm happy.

HUD
PDR

But Mustang seems to have the edge in a lot of categories now.

I can't decide.
If performance matters you maybe should wait a few months, Chevy will announce the facelifted Camaro pretty soon. So if you can wait for PP2 in march you should also check out what Chevy will to do their Camaro next year. I guess digital gauges will definitely be an option.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
I think the cluster is cool... but I'd rather have the real gauges of the base GT. I've had a full digital cluster on my electric, and it was definitely cool to play around with all the settings and how it looked. But eventually that novelty wore off, and I was far more excited to stare at the gauges in my wife's Sorento.
If the cluster was a stand alone option it would be an easier decision...but having to get the whole 401a for $2K does make it harder to swallow.

On my test drive I rarely watched the dash except to realize I was going over the speed limit very quickly and to change driving/exhaust modes.

JessV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Auto
Or how about we all wait and save our money for the 2020 Mustang that is more than likely going to be completely redesigned inside and out?

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Ford lost me on the prices for the GT. They want you to order a upper $40k GT just to get the good stuff like the digital cluster and magnaride. The digital cluster shouldve came standard on all the 2018's at the very least, considering the price hike for even the base models.

metros11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SS 1LE
Or how about we all wait and save our money for the 2020 Mustang that is more than likely going to be completely redesigned inside and out?
Why don't we just wait for the 8th gen at that point... Figure starting MSRP will be $45K by then for the base GT...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.