Not open for further replies.

JessV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Auto
Maybe I'm just not greatly educated when it comes to the topic, but why in the hell do cars evolve to have terrible engines that weren't the vehicles primary hype in the first place?

Let's take a Mustang GT. There is talk that more than likely Ford is going to terminate the V8 engines in the future for their vehicles. This completely takes away the meaning and origin of a Mustang and definition of a "muscle car." I don't want to hear that it's "eco-friendly" and all that BS or that it is "cost-effective." You still will have people that will buy a GT because it's a GT and have no problem shelling out a couple thousand more for the power (I so wish I would have done it back then). It's not like Ford is losing money from them, clearly. So what is it? We've been producing these engines in these cars for over the past 50 years. Why suddenly stop now?
Sponsored

metros11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SS 1LE
Maybe I'm just not greatly educated when it comes to the topic, but why in the hell do cars evolve to have terrible engines that weren't the vehicles primary hype in the first place?

Let's take a Mustang GT. There is talk that more than likely Ford is going to terminate the V8 engines in the future for their vehicles. This completely takes away the meaning and origin of a Mustang and definition of a "muscle car." I don't want to hear that it's "eco-friendly" and all that BS or that it is "cost-effective." You still will have people that will buy a GT because it's a GT and have no problem shelling out a couple thousand more for the power (I so wish I would have done it back then). It's not like Ford is losing money from them, clearly. So what is it? We've been producing these engines in these cars for over the past 50 years. Why suddenly stop now?
I don't see Ford eliminating the V8 in our lifetime. There will always be some form of a V8 in a Mustang, they wouldn't dare drop it. Same goes for the Camaro.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I don't see Ford eliminating the V8 in our lifetime. There will always be some form of a V8 in a Mustang, they wouldn't dare drop it. Same goes for the Camaro.
This country(U.S. and others) is determined to make more strict emissions standards year after year. This entails not only all the harmful chemicals a car produces but also a more efficient vehicle(in terms of MPG or eMPG). This is what's going to happen. They are going to require more strict MPG standards and continue to raise tax on gas guzzlers as well as continuing to raise the requirement for what a gas guzzler is, until nobody can afford them. At the same time, the cost of an electric car would have come down and the government will most likely provide further incentives so it looks like an appealing option for everyone.

Just like how nobody saw Ford putting a 4 cylinder into a Mustang again, you won't see the elimination of the v8 until it's too late.

Not really sure what you meant by "our lifetime." Not sure how old you are. But it will definitely be in our lifetime. No doubt about it.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Tesla vs Supercars...

A friend of mine said that he would never own a Tesla because its doesn't make any noise. He acknowledged that Teslas can accelerate and run faster than even million dollar supercars, but he wants 'noise'. So Tesla should record a favorite car exhaust...install a large amplifier and speaker system...and you would than have the fastest and loudest car on the road.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Anybody know anything about this no lift to shift feature they are mentioning?
The same feature is implemented in the current FRPP tunes - other makes and models of cars have featured this too -- lots to see on YouTube. I have it on my car, having the FRPP Power Pack 1. It works well, but I haven't played with it much. When you are above a specific RPM (I think 5000rpm), you can keep your foot flat (or the engine reved up) and despite that, the revs drop to match the next sequential upshift: upon making the shift, acceleration continues. Most of the time I forget it's there, and just keep lifting between shifts as normal -- not every car I own, or will own -- has this feature. Being a creature of habit, I'm not sure I want to fully get used to it.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This country(U.S. and others) is determined to make more strict emissions standards year after year. This entails not only all the harmful chemicals a car produces but also a more efficient vehicle(in terms of MPG or eMPG). This is what's going to happen. They are going to require more strict MPG standards and continue to raise tax on gas guzzlers as well as continuing to raise the requirement for what a gas guzzler is, until nobody can afford them. At the same time, the cost of an electric car would have come down and the government will most likely provide further incentives so it looks like an appealing option for everyone.

Just like how nobody saw Ford putting a 4 cylinder into a Mustang again, you won't see the elimination of the v8 until it's too late.

Not really sure what you meant by "our lifetime." Not sure how old you are. But it will definitely be in our lifetime. No doubt about it.
It will definitely be in my lifetime. My company, and several others in the automotive world, are already preparing for it.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Someone suggested a long while back (this is not a new concern) that it hinges largely on how many other vehicles are using a V8: currently, the coyote in the F150 is helping in no small way ramp up the economies of scale to make the V8 a viable engine to produce. The ecoboost sixers are becoming more and more popular with truck buyers. When it doesn't make sense to have V8's in trucks, they will go away in the Mustang too. I don't know when that will be. There's nothing that says the Mustang couldn't get an engine from something else in the F-series once the F150 drops it, but I don't know.

Quarter Horse

Deathstroke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium
It will definitely be in my lifetime. My company, and several others in the automotive world, are already preparing for it.
This. Same with my company. Our culture and product lines are changing to accommodate the demand for higher fuel economy and the transition to more EV’s on the road. Will it truly happen before 2040 :shrug: but it will happen sooner than it will later. To that note get your dinosaurs while you can.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
On the topic of the '18+ MY, I have heard that the reason Ford redesigned the front of the Mustang was because of needing to meet EU safety standards and did not perform the change on the GT-350 because they are not exported to EU. Anyone confrm?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I'm not sure why they did it , but I definitely prefer the hood lines on the 15-17 over the 18. It's too plain compared to what it was.

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
On the topic of the '18+ MY, I have heard that the reason Ford redesigned the front of the Mustang was because of needing to meet EU safety standards and did not perform the change on the GT-350 because they are not exported to EU. Anyone confrm?
I've heard that too but I think that's just a rumor. Ford says they redesigned (lowered) the front end for a more aggressive look, improved aerodynamics, and better visibility.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm not sure why they did it , but I definitely prefer the hood lines on the 15-17 over the 18. It's too plain compared to what it was.
Well, in my opinion they changed it to improve the looks, and succeeded.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
That all depends on how old you are...:like:

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my 2018 for 8 months now, and couldn't be happier. I picked her up new for $32,000 (base, blackout package, A10. I think when making a purchase like this, it all depends on your finances, kids or no kids, and what you want out of the car. I always get one car, and mod it to be a street machine. I don't track my car and never will... with that said, in just 8 months time I have spent right at $20,000 in mods (remember this includes going FI and carbon fiber parts that cost close to a grand each). A lot of people would say that's crazy that I spent only $12,000 more for the car then what I have spent in mods, but I will say after my last 3 cars being BMW's I would take this mustang at $52,000 (with my mods) over an M3, M4, ZL1, GT350 and so on... the fact of knowing that there is not a mustang out there with the exact build as mine makes it work over $50K in my book.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
That's unarguable. And the hood vents on the 18 look like an after thought. Although I like the quad exhaust on the 18.I would have gone for the 18 had it not been for the revised front end

The niche of the Mustang is a naturally aspirated V8 with a stick shift in RHD (for UK etc markets). Without the stick shift I would have bought something else as the competition is better.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.