Sponsored

Tools for flashing strategies / calibrations (.vbf)?

Dragonheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium 2015
Hi!

Does anyone know if any free software exists which allows flashing strategies / calibrations (.vbf files) of different modules? I need to reflash strategy of my PSCM module. I have the file I need which I've obtained using this URL. Reason for this: on my visit to local dealer (I wanted to do EPAS calibration after repairing the steering rack) their IDS tool has somehow found and flashed a strategy update which turned out to be an update for Australian build of F150 (RHD). Result: Steering angle sensor shows negative values when I rotate wheel to the right and vice versa, so when I try to rotate it - it goes mad and auto rotates in both directions at high speed. I live in Belarus (Europe) where Mustangs are not sold officially, so there's no proper service or support, that's why I want to solve the issue by myself.
- I have ELS27 adapter. Not sure if it's sold in USA, it's an advanced version of ELM27 which supports HS/MS/MM/SW CAN, 8Mbit speed, etc.It fully supports ForScan and other software, but unfortunately ForScan does not allow you to flash.
- I tried Focccus software which supports flashing .vbf files, but it crashes once I start the process, which is obvious, since that's an utility for Focus.
- Tried ELMConfig which also did not help.

If anyone knows of any available software which allows flashing .vbf and can share the info - it would be much appreciated. At the moment I had to remove fuse which disabled steering assist, so that I can drive at least somehow, but that's a real pain :)
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just so you are aware, there are different S550 EPAS calibrations - GT350, GTPP2 and the GT/EB Performance Package.

You can probably get the correct module info from Ford ETIS using either your original VIN (this will show you all modules for your vehicle AND current software revision numbers) OR if you want to compare different EPAS cal, then use a random VIN found anywhere online.

OP
OP

Dragonheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've managed to reflash it using beta ForScan. There's a testing of flashing feature where anyone who wants and meets the requirements may apply as a beta tester and get a super secret build of an application :)
Here's the topic: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5050 It says they does not accept anyone new, but in my case I had no issues and got the link on beta build in the same day.
ForScan allows to select any of available branches/versions of firmware for particular module + allows you to flash from file. In my case flashing previous firmware went just fine, but it didn't change anything, steering angle is still calculated with improper sign (positive values while rotating to the left and negative while rotating to the right). Seems like it's not related to firmware and I'm totally confused.

A bit of story about what actually happened and why I wanted to flash PSCM:
(here goes super weak english since I'm totally new to automobile lexis)
1) The duster on my tie rod was damaged. I didn't notice that in time.
0.jpg
After driving in rain the water got into the steering rack itself. Which I also did not realize immediately. I was getting random errors about torque / steering angle sensors, but after clearing DTCs everything could be fine for a couple of days. Since I heard that steering racks on mustangs are not designed to be reassembled / fixed, I was hoping on luck. Removed both dusters and left car for a couple of days in warm garage to dry any water out of rack. Obviously it was not enough and in a month clearing DTCs stopped helping at all.
2) Getting used steering rack there would cost about 1200$+. Also, there are no guerantees it won't have mechanical damages, since 99% of this racks are taken off from crashed cars. So I decided to try to fix mine first. Back then I had no idea which journey awaits me.
3) Removed metal plate from the bottom of rack where the PSCM ECU is placed. There was plenty of water. Looks dramatic.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
4) Careful cleaning and drying all this stuff did not help. I was able to read PSCM, to see proper torque/steering angle sensors values, but it had U2011 error which I couldn't remove.
5) Decided to buy some cheap wrecked rack to swap electroings. My rack was FR3C-3F964-AH. Found GR3C-3F964-AA - also a rack from ecoboost, but 2016 vs 2015. It's from some european car, but from left hand drive for sure. It had one single damage on it's body, but overall looked good. Since it's still not restyling version I was pretty sure racks should be the same.
6) Connected new GR3C rack to car (without installing it on car) - no errors. After starting the engine was able to easily rorate main shaft with one hand. Ensured it works 100% properly. Did not read it with ForScan etc.
7) Swapped main ECU plate into mine rack. Did 100% proper pin-out.
6.jpg
8) All errors have gone. But after starting the engine steering wheel goes mad and rotates left-right even though I don't touch it.
9) Decided to also swap little plate that lies behind the rack' motor.
7.jpg
8.jpg
It has two Hall Sensors and calculates rotating of motor, basically it should also calculate steering angle since on our cars there's no steering angle on steering column as far as I understood. After rotating to left and right it auto calibrates and calculates proper steering angle based on position of shaft in your steering rack, while your steering wheel's position does not matter.
10) Replacing this small plate did not change anything.
11) After googling I found out that lots of cars have service procedure of EPAS calibration. So I went to official dealer where they did not find anything like that in IDS. They updated the firmware which also changed nothing.
12) Started analyzing PSCM parameters. Noticed that torque sensor on my rack (which I did not replace) has value of 2.6 by default. I tried pushing the steering wheel for a bit to left so that this value became 0 and keeping the pressure started the engine. Steering wheel was calm, But as soon as torque value changes it tries to assist and goes mad again. I found some screenshots of DTS on my rack before all this manipulations and found out that this value was always 2.6N/m by default, but somehow my rack was doing fine anyway. So it looks like it's hardcoded somewhere as a zero point and new main ECU awaits another value even after flashing it with firmware/calibration found by IDS for my VIN.
13) Fixing this beast became a matter of honor. Since all local services refused even trying to play around with all this calibrations mambo jumbo I decided to just swap torque sensors. Connected wires of old one first, read it with forscan - it shows -0.4N/m. Starting the engine - steering wheel remains calm. Replacing this sensor on other racks is easy but here it was a hell. Had to do couple of custom devices to pull it out without damaging it. Did not take photos unfortunately.
9.jpg
14) Now after replacing it I have -0.3N/m by default. Values are proper, I get negative when rotate to left, positive when rotate to right. After starting the engine wheel does not move by itself anymore. But while trying to move it to right - assist movees it to left and vice versa.
15) Only at this point I checked raw steering angle parameter with ForScan and noticed that it shows improper values. Took a look at strategy/calibration versions.
My old rack's ECU had:
strategy: FR3C-14D003-AH
calibration: FR3C-14D004-AH
New ECU shows:
strategy: GL34-14D003-AD
calibration: GR3C-14D004-AA
Strategy just did not look good. After taking a look at part numbers decoding it turned out that while R3 means mustang, L3 is F150. Also I found a post in google with same strategy from a guy with F150 in Australia. So I decided that damn dealer flashed me with improper strategy for right hand drive cars. In RHD versions motor of rack is placed in another position, so my idea was that it rotates in other direction related to main rack shaft and there's a fix of steering angle somewhere in firmwhere which changes the sign of value.
16) Went to dealer, they said they can't select what to flash, like IDS autodetects it and there's no way to flash custom file.
17) Got beta ForScan, flashed rack with FR3C-14D003-AH strategy and FR3C-14D004-AH calibration to fully have what I had on my rack. Updated As Built data with AB file downloaded from motorcraft site for my VIN. Nothing has changed.

So to summarize:
- new rack was working just fine until all these manipulations
- main ECU plate, small one with Hall sensors and torque sensors are swapped from new rack
- pin-out / all wiring is 101% correct, I have rechecked it multiple times plus even if you miss two wires you'll get some errors. I have none. Also every plate has a numbers near contacts. I double checked that they are the same on electronics from my and new rack.
- original rack's firmware made no difference
- the only thing I did not swap is the motor itself. But I just can't understand how motors may be that different so that they show different angle signs. It just doesn't make sense since to me since motor on both racks rotates in the same direction related to main shaft.
10.jpg
If only I would know how much time it will take with no results I would order used rack in the very beginning :D , but now I really want to solve this puzzle. Motor is the last thing which is not swapped.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any updates to your EPAS issue?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dragonheart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any updates to your EPAS issue?
I gave up. Bought used EPAS from 2015 5.0 GT mustang and using it just fine with its stock firmware/calibration except for constantly having U0401 error which appears again after I clear it. However it does not affect behavior of EPAS, so I left it as is.

Yan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
A bit of story about what actually happened and why I wanted to flash PSCM:
(here goes super weak english since I'm totally new to automobile lexis)
1) The duster on my tie rod was damaged. I didn't notice that in time.
0.jpg
After driving in rain the water got into the steering rack itself. Which I also did not realize immediately. I was getting random errors about torque / steering angle sensors, but after clearing DTCs everything could be fine for a couple of days. Since I heard that steering racks on mustangs are not designed to be reassembled / fixed, I was hoping on luck. Removed both dusters and left car for a couple of days in warm garage to dry any water out of rack. Obviously it was not enough and in a month clearing DTCs stopped helping at all.

Same happened to me, one of the steering boots had a small hole no one noticed before. It was a rainy week and had to drive through like 4" of water, just enough water to reach the boot. After a while driving I got the "steering assist fault, service required" along with "Hill start assist not available" messages, no power steering. Found this DTC at PSCM U3000:49-8B.

My OEM steering rack had this part number HR3C-3D070-CD, I couldn't find any available new nor used. Dealer replaced with GR3C-3L547-AB but it wouldn't program to the car with IDS so they ordered this one HR3C-3D080-AF, it worked fine.

A good advice is to check steering boots from time to time as water will get in and damage the rack.

Car: '17 EB Performance Package

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
We
I gave up. Bought used EPAS from 2015 5.0 GT mustang and using it just fine with its stock firmware/calibration except for constantly having U0401 error which appears again after I clear it. However it does not affect behavior of EPAS, so I left it as is.
I have the same issue. Replaced my rack with a used one and having u0401 issue now. Did you already had a solution for that.
Sponsored