Sponsored

Too much of a good thing?

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
If you cannot figure out simple common sense, you may be one of the problems Anyone who has driven a car with lots of power, knows that even in dry weather, not being careful can put you into a ditch. And it takes training and experience to handle a high torque engine in slick conditions. Even Ford demands special training as part of the purchase agreement for the GT. We have to accept that some cars are not designed for Suzie's sweet sixteen present. If someone buys one, they should be taught how to safely use it like any piece of equipment.

If you take your car to a mechanic, you want him to understand how to properly use the diagnostic equipment, or if you fly, the pilot didn't get his license on-line. Any profession that involves health and/or safety issues are required to have training, certification, and stiff penalties if they violate the conditions of license. And a politician or executive in a community has no legal right to order a licensed employee how to perform their duty.
Your “solution” isn’t “common-sense”, it’s “common-stupid”... and we have quite enough of that controlling our lives already. The solution to every problem isn’t more useless laws.

Ford wants special training before we can drive one of their GTs? Fine; that doesn’t affect me. Some guy “isn’t careful” and puts the car in a ditch? That’s called “reckless driving” and there’s already a law for that. Same with the “slick conditions” or tire-burning mid-intersection donuts.

This isn’t a massive public safety problem; it’s a few people driving stupidly on public roads. Your solution encumbers everyone for the actions of those people. And, like virtually all ad hoc solutions, especially govt ones, the inevitable cascading effects are never considered.

And you still haven’t explained to me what the purpose of this “700 hp license” will be since, according to existing law, we have to drive our cars like they were a Prius.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
i love lots of power, and find the horsepower wars a good thing. Lately, I have seen the harm that idiots are doing with the Mustang and other performance cars because they have no common sense and lots of money.

Rather than a ban on performance cars, should we push for better training and stricter license testing? Should there be a separate license requirement for licensing high powered cars, like many states require for boats and motorcycles? I would like to see a requirement that to buy/own a car with a high hp/wt ratio, the driver must pass a certified driving course for race drivers. It would be disastrous if the lawyers shut down performance cars because of a huge lawsuit. Any thoughts?

What you are really saying is that we ban performance cars. Because that will be the outcome.

Change “cars” to “guns” (and you will be eaten alive on this board) and it is obvious where that goes with courses and licences and all the rest. We already have that with guns in Canada and only by a small miracle were we able to roll back registration of all long guns. We also have some of the most onerous laws on street racing which includes the burnouts in a parking lot if you can believe that. I’ve seen it too many times, these kill joys who want to “reasonable compromise” your right to freedom of movement out of existence.

I’ve seen how this works in their heads. As long as “they”have the licenses to drive as “they” want then screw everyone else. And then they brag about their “license to speed”, their special status that used to be everyone’s right - until they screwed everyone else over that is. Oh - and maybe they grandfather the licenses to speed and two decades later nobody races anywhere (just like with guns).

Anyway, there is a way out for you! Repent your wayward thinking on this board and all will be forgiven. Disown those misguided statements. Everyone can make a mistake as long as they acknowledge it as a mistake!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Some more...

As soon as any licensing legislation hits the books the first thing to disappear will be performance cars on dealer lots because with a licence needed there are no more economies of scale to keep making them. People just won’t bother anymore.

Thanks bro!

Also, I was part of the gun lobby 20 years ago when they wanted to register all guns as a prelude to banning them. Our first march up to Parliment Hill was greeted by snipers on roof tops! I kid you not! We turned back that clock but it took years and a change of government. My job was to lobby the Senate and the whole ordeal almost broke me mentally. I’m not going through that again. When law makers have power and get it in their mind to do something you are literally banging your head against a wall!

So the cars disappear from the lots with lawmakers dragging up this very thread to prove that even performance car enthusiasts want the laws...

Thanks bro!

Wow, you really got me pissed off. The only way to keep your rights is to nip shit ideas like this in the bud...

Repent, repent, repent...

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
Some more...

As soon as any licensing legislation hits the books the first thing to disappear will be performance cars on dealer lots because with a licence needed there are no more economies of scale to keep making them. People just won’t bother anymore.

Thanks bro!

Also, I was part of the gun lobby 20 years ago when they wanted to register all guns as a prelude to banning them. Our first march up to Parliment Hill was greeted by snipers on roof tops! I kid you not! We turned back that clock but it took years and a change of government. My job was to lobby the Senate and the whole ordeal almost broke me mentally. I’m not going through that again. When law makers have power and get it in their mind to do something you are literally banging your head against a wall!

So the cars disappear from the lots with lawmakers dragging up this very thread to prove that even performance car enthusiasts want the laws...

Thanks bro!

Wow, you really got me pissed off. The only way to keep your rights is to nip shit ideas like this in the bud...

Repent, repent, repent...
People will never learn it seems.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Yeah, the govt ALWAYS tells you, “It’s for your safety” as they steal more and more of your liberty. And it’s almost always with stupid crap like this.

I notice you didn’t respond to my post above. What is this “700 hp” license supposed to get you? The ”privilege” of driving 150 in a 65 zone? How about allowing you to do donuts in the middle of intersections? Burnouts from stop signs?

The fact is that every one of us with these kinds of cars, at various times, drives fast and to the edge of the cars abilities. IT’S ALREADY ILLEGAL and no “high-performance” license is going to allow us to break the laws already in place.

Why do people continue to invite more and more govt into their lives???
I did not respond because I had no idea you asked me a question. I think you have me confused with someone else as I never mentioned nor care about licenses for different horsepower levels.

I want to be able to drive on the roads with people that have some idea of how to drive, have valid insurance, and are not under the influence of a substance. If that means harder testing to get your license, harder testing to renew your license, more police stops to catch people, then so be it.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I did not respond because I had no idea you asked me a question. I think you have me confused with someone else as I never mentioned nor care about licenses for different horsepower levels.

I want to be able to drive on the roads with people that have some idea of how to drive, have valid insurance, and are not under the influence of a substance. If that means harder testing to get your license, harder testing to renew your license, more police stops to catch people, then so be it.

Or you could become a hermit and give up driving and leave it to others that have more balls than you...

And yes that does tie you into the other guy as that is what this thread is about. If so than you should know better and I take back my remarks about you.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT

You're one of those "if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about" people.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang

Sorry, got you confused with another guy who has the same opinion.

That said, more govt is NEVER the answer.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Well I guess bear376 is not going to retract his statements....

I won’t borher going after him as there is an army of these people willing to throw all of you under the bus because they are fearful insecure people who think they can’t trust the people in their neighbourhood (that they say “hi” to every day) to do the right thing - but trust the government to protect them from the big bad world outside.

I would say about a third here and they will try to give the dude as much support as they can whilst giving themselves “an out” if they start to get backlash. In my country as gun registration time came up you started to see who had balls and conviction and who didn’t. This was my first time seeing people under pressure have to make the choice to register their guns and throw out all their stated convictions connected to firearm ownership - or take the law on by disobedience - a lot chickened out. And many times it was the nerdy scrawny guy who stayed his ground while the big loud mouth did as the government said with excuses like I have a family even though the penalty was only a fine.

Sold out for a friggin fine!

The guy who lead the march up Parliment Hill (with the government snipers) died before the legislation was turned back which was a pity. He was actually in a few NRA TV shows years ago.

What are those dudes who chickened out doing today? They are back into guns talking big like they always did. Talking big on the backs of those who stood up for their convictions and changed things back!

But one thing I have learned is that it is better to stop something before legislation and not after. You guys have to take on these folk when they open their mouths because, trust me, they won’t be there when shit truly hits the fan - and they expect you to fix things for them. But the price you pay for your feedoms we keep alive is to stay out of our lives with your freedom restriction bull shit under the guise of “community safety”.

Rant over...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
We should have licensing for frying pans because you could use one to bash someone's head in.

We should have licensing for kitchen knives because they could easily kill many people. Right now they are way too easy to buy. People just don't understand the danger that they are in.

Really what we should do is put chips in everybody's heads so if people think a "wrong" thought we can give them an electric shock. Did your eyes look at that attractive woman a little too long? ELECTRIC SHOCK!!

Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
It's astounding to me that those who push this nonsense based on some misguided notion that more "safety" will result from it never stop and look back to see the actual results of their follies.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or you could become a hermit and give up driving and leave it to others that have more balls than you...
A very mature response for sure. Size of balls makes no difference if the other driver is at fault. Better education is the only thing that is going to help the other driver.

You're one of those "if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about" people.
Again, driving is a privilege. Get over it. We're not talking the first or second amendment here. If I have to work harder so everyone else has to work harder to make the roads safer then so be it. Sub par testing and education leads to a majority of the accidents.

Sorry, got you confused with another guy who has the same opinion.

That said, more govt is NEVER the answer.
Name any other entity that has the power and law on their side to affect change in driver education, testing, policing?

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Again, driving is a privilege. Get over it. We're not talking the first or second amendment here. If I have to work harder so everyone else has to work harder to make the roads safer then so be it. Sub par testing and education leads to a majority of the accidents.
Once again, you ignore the FACT that there are already about a BILLION laws that cover this which prevent (hah!) us from driving in any way that would require any kind of special licensing. According to law, we are all supposed to adhere to the speed limit without going 1 mph over, or adhere to the "basic speed law" which says you cannot drive faster than it is safe, regardless of the posted limit. Of course, "safe" is in the eye of the beholder. So... who will that be? The govt? Or, perhaps, YOU?

Not to mention laws covering the required full stop at stop signs, functioning turn signals, exhaust noise limits, CAFE standards (which have killed more people than most guys losing control of their cars because they pushed it), I could go on and on but I'm really tired of the stupidity that is the "all we need is another law" mentality.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once again, you ignore the FACT that there are already about a BILLION laws that cover this which prevent (hah!) us from driving in any way that would require any kind of special licensing. According to law, we are all supposed to adhere to the speed limit without going 1 mph over, or adhere to the "basic speed law" which says you cannot drive faster than it is safe, regardless of the posted limit. Of course, "safe" is in the eye of the beholder. So... who will that be? The govt? Or, perhaps, YOU?

Not to mention laws covering the required full stop at stop signs, functioning turn signals, exhaust noise limits, CAFE standards (which have killed more people than most guys losing control of their cars because they pushed it), I could go on and on but I'm really tired of the stupidity that is the "all we need is another law" mentality.
Again, you keep missing my points.

No we do NOT need more laws. We need more education primarily and enforcement of existing laws that promote better driving.

And yes your local government would be the ones enforcing the laws.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Again, you keep missing my points.

No we do NOT need more laws. We need more education primarily and enforcement of existing laws that promote better driving.

And yes your local government would be the ones enforcing the laws.
No, I don’t keep missing your points; you don’t have any.

This “education”... gonna be mandatory? More useless govt.

More “enforcement” of laws that already exist? More useless govt thrown at an imaginary problem. For which we will pay more taxes.

I’m curious: how do YOU drive YOUR GT? And why do you have all those high-performance modifications? They aren’t needed to go the speed limit.
Sponsored