Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
SECOND FUELING STOP

Before heading up to Lima today, I filled up the tank (pump stopped on one click) with a calculated fuel economy of 17.7 mpg. This consisted of 40% highway, 60% city driving.

I am eager to see what the next fueling stop yields after about 240 mile round trip highway drive today at speeds between 55 and 70mph.

I know this is rather mundane, however, this is my first experience with the 5.0L V8. I've observed others who had '11-'14 Mustangs comment on their fuel economy experience on various forums.

This car is my transportation, so it is awesome to see how far Ford engine technology has come since the 4.6L 3-valve engines of 2010. Having a daily driver Mustang with 120hp more, a manual with an extra gear, and the promises of more fuel efficiency in this latest version of the 5.0L is a solid combination to me.

However, the 2010 GT's power rating was achieved with 87 octane. I probably burned more of the 87 as opposed to always running 93. I will be using 93 in the '15.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Before heading up to Lima today, I filled up the tank (pump stopped on one click) with a calculated fuel economy of 17.7 mpg. This consisted of 40% highway, 60% city driving.

I am eager to see what the next fueling stop yields after about 240 mile round trip highway drive today at speeds between 55 and 70mph.

I know this is rather mundane, however, this is my first experience with the 5.0L V8. I've observed others who had '11-'14 Mustangs comment on their fuel economy experience on various forums.

This car is my transportation, so it is awesome to see how far Ford engine technology has come since the 4.6L 3-valve engines of 2010. Having a daily driver Mustang with 120hp more, a manual with an extra gear, and the promises of more fuel efficiency in this latest version of the 5.0L is a solid combination to me.

However, the 2020 GT's power rating was achieved with 87 octane. I probably burned more of the 87 as opposed to always running 93. I will be using 93 in the '15.
At what RPM do you typically shift (if there is a typical RPM)?

-T

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At what RPM do you typically shift (if there is a typical RPM)?

-T
I've been experimenting with that since the gearing is different in the Getrag MT-82 as compared to the Tremec T3650. My driving mix is more city than highway usually. In my previous car and this one, I have the 3.55 rear gear.

For street driving, I've been typically shifting between 2500 and 3000RPM (I like to feel a little oompf) and keeping the revs around 2000RPM for steady state street speeds. For example, this means I am in 4th gear for cruising in the 40 mph range. When I am around 50mph, I am in 5th, and anything above that I am in 6th.

This is different than my 5-speed manual experience, where I was typically a gear lower.

I have occasionally accelerated up to 5500RPM before shifting to get the fun of that, but I haven't gone to redline yet. Now since I have about 500 miles, I'll be trying that next. My mileage might be slipping then.

I also try to get fuel without ethanol, but in my area of Ohio, there's a lot of blended fuel.

Last edited:

ponyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP Ecoboost, 2013 Volvo XC60r-Design
I ordered the Ecoboost PP with the same color scheme inside and out. I should be picking it up in the next couple of days, just waiting for the call. It left the rail yard on Friday for it's 55 mile trip to the dealer. I'll be drooling on your photos until "Willow" arrives.

searsman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 GT Premium, 08 GTCS Convertible, 15 GT Premium, 17 GT Convertible, 19 Ecoboost
Thank you for sharing those pics. I ordered a Magnetic Premium with ebony interior. The only option I ordered was the 18" foundry wheels. I'm so happy to see these pictures. My car has a blend date of 11-18 so I'm hoping all goes well. Thanks for sharing and based on the one I test drove before ordering I would agree with your review on the handling, etc.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Tony how do you like those side view mirrors with the blind spot ones?

I really wish that BLIS/CTA was an option or just included on premiums.

Those bs mirrors do not belong on a premium model!

And yes keep us posted on the MPG!

However, the 2020 GT's power rating was achieved with 87 octane.
Can you please post pictures of the 2020 GT and tech specs/engine specs/etc. ;):p:D

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the Ecoboost PP with the same color scheme inside and out. I should be picking it up in the next couple of days, just waiting for the call. It left the rail yard on Friday for it's 55 mile trip to the dealer. I'll be drooling on your photos until "Willow" arrives.
Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your photos and hearing your thoughts. I think the PP wheels on your car look fantastic both in design and color contrast with Magnetic. Hope everything is to your satisfaction!

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for sharing those pics. I ordered a Magnetic Premium with ebony interior. The only option I ordered was the 18" foundry wheels. I'm so happy to see these pictures. My car has a blend date of 11-18 so I'm hoping all goes well. Thanks for sharing and based on the one I test drove before ordering I would agree with your review on the handling, etc.
I really am impressed with the appearance of the wheels in person. I was concerned originally about them being 18" wheels since I had 19s on my 2010 I recently traded. The design of the spokes seems to visually compensate for the size difference. The other thing I think goes with Magnetic is the grey color on the inner part of the wheels. Add those together, along with ease of washing, and you've got a very nice wheel for an OEM style.

Best of luck to you, and I hope to see photos and your impressions soon. Please post up when you can!

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tony how do you like those side view mirrors with the blind spot ones?

I really wish that BLIS/CTA was an option or just included on premiums.

Those bs mirrors do not belong on a premium model!

And yes keep us posted on the MPG!
I was wondering if I would adapt to them or regret not getting BLIS. I saw the BLIS in action in Zombie's car. I've found that I actually appreciate the 2 views once I used them a little more. I think BLIS is a great technology. I like actually have a larger visual cue to direct my attention.

Cross-traffic alert I got to see work on DABKO'S car. I happened to be the obstacle as he was backing up. I heard the beeps when I was outside of the car :)

On the whole, I would have appreciated BLIS and CTA if they were part of the Premium trim level. However, I am OK with the "bs" mirrors :)

Can you please post pictures of the 2020 GT and tech specs/engine specs/etc. ;):p:D
Whoopsie - corrected!

Sponsored

Folgrim21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 f150 blk with 6"BDS , 2017pp recaro Mag
Great write up. Just ans a ton of questions for me on washing... I showed the better half... Now she knows I'm not the only one obsessed with water spots on stuff. You are right on the mark with the foundry wheels too.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great write up. Just ans a ton of questions for me on washing... I showed the better half... Now she knows I'm not the only one obsessed with water spots on stuff.
I hear ya, man! It's an extra challenge on this car as it is my daily driver and sits outside (I have a small house with one car garage).

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Tried to capture Magnetic in the sun today...got to work on my photography know-how.
These latest pictures have done it for me, I am definitely Magnetic/Foundry when I order my Convertible, these have such a classic look to them. Modernized version of the Bullitt wheels, similar to the style on my '06. Gorgeous, great choice and thanks for the detailed writeup!

Since my drive is mostly highway to work (between 60 and 70MPH) I am hoping to see mid-20's during that type of driving, but when I get caught in traffic it will tank the mileage :(