Tonneau Caps in 2021 model year

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
The 2021 order guide says they “deleted” the Tonneau Caps (Convertible Only). See page 1, under Exterior.

What does it practically mean? They no longer come by default (and hence have to be purchased separately)? Or, the opposite, they now come by default, and hence no longer available as a separate option?
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I'd hazard a guess that they're no longer supplied, and maybe not even an available part any longer. The "deleted" language is used for colors no longer available, so it's probably the same.

I think they've been a bit of a problem, lots of people not actually getting them, the first version caused some rubbing issues on the top.

FWIW, there's also a magnetic switch that gets toggled when they're installed, so the top gets disabled, I bet all those electronics are just gone, i.e., the caps are no longer "compatible".

:bandit:

OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
crap. Even if the magnetic switch is gone, hopefully the old ones might still fit and help protect the mechanism in case of rain/dirt. So maybe I should look into ordering them on ebay or something. (Does not look like I can purchase new as an accessory, and my dealer is not very helpful here.)

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I've enjoyed having them on my last two cars. They give the car a "finished" look with the top down. The '16 I remember having some shiny marks on the fabric after a while, but it never reached the point of significant wear or fraying.. No problem at all on the '20.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
They're reasonably easy to install, and do look good, not sure about any extra protection, I guess they do sort of seal off that area.

I've tossed mine on for a couple of cruise-ins, a few drives when I was 100% sure I wouldn't have to do an emergency stop-n-stow :D My top stays up 98% of the time, but I like being able to drop it on the fly (so to speak ...)

Reactions: DRB

Sponsored

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine stays down...most of the time. :)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Mine stays down...most of the time. :)
Yeah me too, if it's too cold or too wet to drive with the top down, I just stay home :D

This was a super fun sticker an S2K owner made, I had one on mine, went on this small wind blocker that flipped up between the seats, hahaha ...

1607994901128.png

(I like the "no hurricanes", especially in this area :D)

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah me too, if it's too cold or too wet to drive with the top down, I just stay home :D

This was a super fun sticker an S2K owner made, I had one on mine, went on this small wind blocker that flipped up between the seats, hahaha ...

1607994901128.png

(I like the "no hurricanes", especially in this area :D)
:crackup:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Buy a set now!

I have a backup set in case someone takes mine, or it falls off.

CVCashmere

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I kept mine from my '16 and got a new, unopened set with my '19 (it was 4K miles lightly used ...)

I think the only difference in the design is the foam padding, so assuming I could revise the '16s to be a little more top friendly (though I never experienced any issues with my few uses).

Sponsored

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I alost never use mine, though if I go to a cruise-n or like Maskedracerx says I know the top will be down most if not all day then I put them on. It does add a nice finishing touch but I am not all that particular to make sure I put them on every time the top is down.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Warning! Danger! Aircraft material! May cause rear-end lifting at high speeds!

CVCashmere
I knew there must be some reason they labeled the speedometer "Ground Speed."

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I leave my off. Think it looks better but honestly wish the Mustangs vert down design was like camaro. It looks clean, but it’s hassle taking on/off. So kept my in my trunk til a cheer wine accident occurred. Now they went from black to lava red... sorta liking the look but still aren’t using.
Sponsored