To Supercharge or not?

Blake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RR GT PP Supercharged
I ordered my new 2015 Mustang GT Premium PP in January. (My first Mustang)It's scheduled to be built in the first week of March. I was thinking I was going to get a Roush Phase 1 Supercharger for it in a approximately 3 years. I thought about it a bit more and thought why not get it installed at the dealer, and finance it when I get the car. I have the power now for the 3 additional years, my warranty stays intact and I don't have to save for it because it will be financed. After talking to the dealer I have a price, and they mentioned one thing that made me think. The service manager said that there might be more of a chance of having engine trouble later with the car and that I should get it now instead of wait for approx. 3 years. He said that breaking the engine in with boost would be better, because the motor would be used to the boost if I installed it when the car is new. If I wait, the car would not be used to the boost it and that might cause engine issues down the road. Any merit in his reasoning? Should I get it now or wait? All thoughts are welcome.
Sponsored

Last edited:

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I constantly debate this myself. After you drop 7 grand on the kit, then another 3 grand on a complete new exhaust system, you will have around 700 horses... So 10 grand. I ask myself, will I use that much horse power. I might track my car once a year if I supercharged. Does the end justify the means...

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Unless you abuse the engine(IE: going into boost with low fuel, not changing your oil properly, etc) you will be fine with the stock Roush/FRPP tune.

I would recommend doing it now rather than later though since you would get the added peace of mind of the warranty. Should something out of the ordinary happen your wallet will be covered. After the 3yr/36k is up you can treat yourself to a stage 3 upgrade with a custom tune and it will be like a brand new car again.

That's my plan anyway, I just had the Roush blower installed a week ago and I love it. Now my problem is tires and I'm sure after that will be the wheel hop... But that's how it goes :)

Also I just installed the MGW shifter yesterday and that thing is absolutely amazing. I find myself in boost a lot more because of how fun it is to shift lol

FR500GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saleen
I didn't know that you can finance the blower through the dealership. If the dealership I ordered my car from doesn't offer this, can I take it to another dealership and have it installed/financed?

That's my plan anyway, I just had the Roush blower installed a week ago and I love it. Now my problem is tires and I'm sure after that will be the wheel hop... But that's how it goes :)
How much did you pay for the blower/install if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
Blake

Blake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RR GT PP Supercharged
I would recommend doing it now rather than later though since you would get the added peace of mind of the warranty. Should something out of the ordinary happen your wallet will be covered. After the 3yr/36k is up you can treat yourself to a stage 3 upgrade with a custom tune and it will be like a brand new car again.
I could have it installed by the dealer in the future and it would be still covered by the warranty but that's 3 years less fun.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Even financed it's a lot of extra loot. The unit itself is $7,000. Add instillation to that of about $2,000 (stealership price). You're financing an extra $9,000 of car price. Even for 60 months at only 2.5% that's another $160/month for 5 years (including $600 of interest). That's even if you can finance the install portion to begin with and they dont want that cash when the work is done.

This is not including the fact you will want to upgrade your exhaust and headers with forced induction. That's another $2,000-2,500 out of pocket. You will probably need half shafts to run the horsepower eventually. Those are $1700, and installation hundreds more. Then tires. The stock tires won't hook up very well so you will want different tires.

It's a huge huge expense at the end of the day, even if you can finance the supercharger and install portion. You are still looking at another $4000-5000 down the line in parts you will need sooner than later.

I've thought about it but (all cash) its unaffordable after the $40,000 price of the car itself paid cash, and impractical as a daily driver and never tracking it to need that hp with the potential of stock parts being stressed and failures. You also have a MUCH higher change of something going wrong with a lot more moving parts. Once the 3/36,000 is up thats out of your pocket.

Last edited:

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Mustang 40k
Blower 6-10k
The feeling u get when u hit the gas priceless.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Even financed it's a lot of extra loot. The unit itself is $7,000. Add instillation to that of about $2,000 (stealership price). You're financing an extra $9,000 of car price. Even for 60 months at only 2.5% that's another $160/month for 5 years (including $600 of interest). That's even if you can finance the install portion to begin with and they dont want that cash when the work is done.

This is not including the fact you will want to upgrade your exhaust and headers with forced induction. That's another $2,000-2,500 out of pocket. You will probably need half shafts to run the horsepower eventually. Those are $1700, and installation hundreds more. Then tires. The stock tires won't hook up very well so you will want different tires.

It's a huge huge expense at the end of the day, even if you can finance the supercharger and install portion. You are still looking at another $4000-5000 down the line in parts you will need sooner than later.

I've thought about it but (all cash) its unaffordable after the $40,000 price of the car itself paid cash, and impractical as a daily driver and never tracking it to need that hp with the potential of stock parts being stressed and failures. You also have a MUCH higher change of something going wrong with a lot more moving parts. Once the 3/36,000 is up thats out of your pocket.
How is a blower impractical as a daily driver? You don't need to do the exhaust. Certainly don't need to do headers. As for the half-shafts, we will see - but I bet unless you are doing a bunch of launches with slicks the track, things will hold up fine.

Tires, yes, probably going to want something wider - especially with a PD blower. That means new wheels as well.

TwinTurboMustang.net

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Mustang 40k
Blower 6-10k
The feeling u get when u hit the gas priceless.
Yep! I was very responsible and waited 90 days before I supercharged the Mustang. Warranty? It was great while it lasted. :cheers:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Yep! I was very responsible and waited 90 days before I supercharged the Mustang. Warranty? It was great while it lasted. :cheers:
You still have a warranty. Just probably won't cover a blown up engine anymore. :)

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
How is a blower impractical as a daily driver? You don't need to do the exhaust. Certainly don't need to do headers. As for the half-shafts, we will see - but I bet unless you are doing a bunch of launches with slicks the track, things will hold up fine.

Tires, yes, probably going to want something wider - especially with a PD blower. That means new wheels as well.
Impractical as not needed in a daily driver car, in MY opinion/situation as I said.

Why would you ever do a blower with the stock exhaust? Past a certain HP level the stock exhaust just hurts the $10k you just put in the car. Half shafts will eventually fail with that much HP. You can only run a blower on a stock car so long without needing to upgrade parts.

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP

I would argue you need new headers more than a cat back... Just my opinion though. None the less, going FA is very pricey, just know its what you really really want before you go there.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Impractical as not needed in a daily driver car, in MY opinion/situation as I said.

Why would you ever do a blower with the stock exhaust? Past a certain HP level the stock exhaust just hurts the $10k you just put in the car. Half shafts will eventually fail with that much HP. You can only run a blower on a stock car so long without needing to upgrade parts.
All I'm saying is you could use the stock exhaust. And still make plenty of power. Sure you'll make more changing out the exhaust (headers), but doing so is by no means a requirement to getting a blower.

I'm not sure if it has been determined yet at what levels the stock half-shafts will fail (consistently). I wouldn't be surprised at all if they don't fail on a purely street driven forced induction car. Assuming we aren't talking crazy whp setups.

I would argue you need new headers more than a cat back... Just my opinion though. None the less, going FA is very pricey, just know its what you really really want before you go there.
I agree headers will benefit you more, for sure. I just don't see it being required unless you have certain horsepower goals in mind.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
headers will benefit more than a catback, mainly the cats being deleted.

we tune these very conservatively, you can't go wrong with almost any power adder

we do the Paxton / vortech, roush, procharger, all are nice kits and will work very well
Sponsored