Sponsored

To stock or not to stock....?

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m curious... if I were to trade or sell My 2016 Mustang GT Auto that has the basics...Roush exhaust, JLT/Tune, Carbon Fiber Steering wheels, Euro-White Tail lights, and Coil-overs... is it better to put it back to stock or not?
#1- Do dealers appreciate slightly modded cars or would they rather bone stock? Then I could just sell the parts and get a few buck for them...
OR
#2- Selling privately, is it better Just to leave it modded and hope for the best offer?
What do you guys think?
:headbang:
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The dealer won't give you any extra for the mods. It could conceivably lower what they would offer. But they will not add value.
Financially it's probably better to restore it to stock and sell the parts. That is if you do the labor yourself.
Selling privately would be hit or miss. Some will like that mods are done already, some won't want your specific mods and others, like me, would pass because I would wonder if the mods were done correctly and just how hard the car was beat on.

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Typically you will get very little to no money for your mods if you trade it in to a dealer. If your time is worth the amount you have on the car, take them off and sell here on the forums.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I will echo what others have said...the mods you have are just as likely to turn off potential buyers as they are to attract them. Stock is always best.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
With a trade, no dealer wants mechanical mods (especially tunes), so they usually pay you less, on top of losing their cost. The only mods dealers welcome are those desirable by most, like LED light upgrades (white ones), window tint, better lug nuts, etc.... but you basically don't get anything extra for them.

OP
OP
Calipony

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah
Yeah, I have all my stock stuff in the attic.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
That and a dealer will take a highly modded car and turn it into a time bomb for an unsuspecting buyer. I'm still fuming about the Ford dealer I bought the '16 from having flashed the PCM back to stock. They sold me the car with a VMP 2.3, 52# injectors and Roush air box. Found the error by accident only bc it ran a little "strange." Never sell one to a dealer with mods on it!

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yeah what the others have said. Dealers wont give you anything for mods . If anything, If the car can be sold CPO they will remove the mods and also give you less cause they have to buy new parts to put back to stock and then the employees just get free mods. I have buddies who say their dealers do this all time where they work at. Unless you have some incredible luck I dont, then selling your car privet is no picnic either. No shows, tire kickers, people who who cant afford your price and try to talk you down...its a pain. I always remove any mods from my cars when I trade them back into dealers. Sell mods on here in classifieds they wont last long, especially if you will ship them. :)

Last edited:

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Back to stock. Many dealers don't want mods because they just take them off anyway.
Sponsored