Sponsored

To MGW Shifter owners: which throw did you select and why?

MICHPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've been looking at MGW shifters for a while now but I'm not quite sold on which combo I'd enjoy the most. I've read almost every thread on this site about the MGWs, but I'm still not sold on the X-spec with the standard handle, or the Standard Race-spec with standard or low profile handle.

So I ask: what combo did you choose and why? And would you choose differently if you were back at that order screen?

Thanks!
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I chose the Xspec lowpro. Was in a car that had a standard low and the owner said he regretted not getting the Xspec. So i went off his advice. I think my shifter does feel a little more high effort maybe even a little more notchy then his, but his is a 17 and mines a 18 so i dont know if that makes a difference, both other MGW cars are the same setup as mine. Id buy again in a heartbeat if i needed to, I did add a Raceseng Slammer as ive had one on my car for the last 5-6 years so love them.
IMG_6909(Edited).jpg
IMG_7436(Edited).jpg
IMG_7435(Edited).jpg

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I went with the Xpec, but standard length handle. I wanted as much throw reduction as possible, without losing as much leverage as possible. These shifters are amazeballs.

IMG_20200406_203044.jpg
IMG_20200406_203101.jpg

OP
OP
MICHPP2

MICHPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've been leaning towards the X-spec w/ standard handle or the standard Race-spec w/ shorter handle, but I haven't completely written off the standard Race-spec w/ standard handle.

Hopefully somebody who's experienced the minimal 15% throw reduction can comment on their experience with it.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
After talking with George at MGW, he recommended to me the X-Spec with standard handle for what I wanted. Mine's a DD, so I get a good throw reduction (not to mention the quality of the MGW) yet something that's still comfortable to shift around in traffic when necessary.

With the X-Spec short, you lose some leverage, especially if you use just a ball or something that's low. I have a teardrop knob and it's fantastic. With the standards, you might not get enough difference to notice the reduction as much. Still get that great feeling of accurate and precise shifts though.

I'd love to have had the chance to try them all, but if I only have to dick around with that one bolt once in my entire life, I'm happy with the X-Spec standard.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MICHPP2

MICHPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Is there anyone on M6G with the standard race spec w/ standard handle that can comment on their choice and experience with it?

Fat_Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium
Is there anyone on M6G with the standard race spec w/ standard handle that can comment on their choice and experience with it?
Curious, which one did you decide to go with standard or x-spec?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I have an X-spec std. handle. I think it's right on the verge of being too short of a throw, because 6th is fairly awkward and the lever feels to be a little more like a slotted peg rather than a lever on a pivot, if that's makes any sense. My feeling is that most people would like either the standard spec with the short handle or the X-spec with the long one. Either one of them is 10,000,000% better than stock.

LowPSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 RTR Series 1
X-spec standard handle. Fast enough for banging gears but not so low that my hand is inside the console.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I realize this thread is 3 years old but I put a MGW in my Mach 1 with the Tremac 6 sp. they only make 1 version for it as far as I know. I love it. Very notchy and deliberate, no slop and even shorter throw. Not a huge fan of the push down for reverse but it’s such a small thing it’s not a factor.
Sponsored