Sponsored

To Cover or Not to Cover your Mustang (that can only live outside)?

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I have a spot in my apartment garage but its dirty in there so I keep it covered. Over timer it will probably hurt the paint to some degree. I dont know if there is anything proactive you can do about that short of something like ppf. As for taking it on/off, it is very easy. I do it myself every day, takes about 60 seconds.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I chose to not use a cover. I just wash it periodically over the winter, as well as take it for a long drive to circulate all the fluids and such. Modern sealants/ceramic coats do a good enough job protecting the paint, and my ceramic tint protects my interior from the sun. White is also a pretty forgiving color as far as sun damage goes. Birds are my mortal enemy, but they simply don't exist in winter so I don't have to fear them, lol.

Also, snow itself is a free car cover, honestly.

Last edited:

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I'm in the same situation living in the northeast, no garage or carport so I keep a good coat of wax on and only cover the car when there's going to be a snowstorm. Too much of a PITA IMO taking it off and putting it back on everyday.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've been thinking about a canopy for the DD/RT, just a little something to prevent oak "droppings", looks like the Monarc products are pretty solid, seems like an inexpensive option.

Bonus content: Fuck HOAs 🤪

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Bonus content: Fuck HOAs 🤪
I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.
However, put into practice, it can be exceedingly expensive...
It's the exact reason I chose to build in a neighborhood without an HOA.

Sponsored

Dark Stallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Don’t cover it and just wash it once a week by hand.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Many years ago, I worked in a high rise downtown, and we could see the top of the parking deck that may of us used from our floor. One of my coworkers had a new black RX-7 and he covered it every day. Once it a while, it would start to rain, and he would scurry out there to take off the cover.

After a few years (maybe 3?) he bought a new RX-7 to replace it, when they changed the design. I'll bet he got exactly $0 extra on trade for the great condition that the paint was in.

My takeaway from that is, don't bother unless you really honestly plan to keep the car for the rest of your life. Otherwise, bah. It's a car, it's designed to sit outside and yes, red doesn't always do well in the sun, but is it really that big of a concern?

I'd say go ahead and cover it during the fall period when the trees drop leaves and such, but otherwise, just keep it clean and that will be the best protection for it.

When you do have it covered, don't drag the cover on and off. When taking it off, fold it into 2' sections, and store it like that. When putting it back on, unfold it. That will reduce damage to the paint.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I only put the cover on if it is going to sit outside more than a week. It's been under cover since just after Christmas due to outdoor temps.

It is important to:
- Buy a quality fitted cover that fits tight and will not flutter in the wind, etc.
- Make sure the car is clean when you put it on.
- Remove and fold/roll properly to keep the car side clean and unsoiled.

My method is:
1. Blow off cover with leaf blower so it has no leaves or debris. *only dry if possible.
2. Pull off all corners and fold the elastic ends up and smooth and Pull off mirror pockets
3. Fold each side slowly front to back in 1/4 steps 2-3 folds each side so the cover is one long strip running front to back.
4. Roll Cover Rear to front moving with the roll, NOT sliding the cover on the car.
5. Take off car and put immediately in storage bag.

Reverse order to reinstall, but make sure car is clean before putting on the cover. That dirt WILL cause damage and will stick to the inside of the cover, and cause further even if the car is clean.

YMMV

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I can add input from a long term parked outside specimen.

I’m the 2nd owner of my 1994 Cobra; owned it now 17 years. The first 10 years of my ownership it was outside exclusively and it was always driven 24/7/365 in all weather conditions here in NJ. It would sit 10hrs a day on my employer’s parking lot with no shade over it ever and then sit in the driveway once home. The last 7 years it’s been garaged because it has not been a daily driver and it’s a requirement to retain Collector’s Ins. on it.

It’s factory color is Rio Red with black interior.

What you see in the attached pics is how the car looks in person, yes factory original paint. This car has NEVER been to any professional Detailer during my ownership (and specialty “ceramics” didn’t exist prior to my ownership).

I always kept up on interior and exterior maintenance when it was driven daily - it’s always looked like “new”. The engine bay and chassis looks as good as what you see on the “topside”.

When it was driven in snow/ice/rain -the next available “dry day”, the entire exterior of the car was thoroughly cleaned. It has absolutely no rust corrosion anywhere under it, aside from the normal slight surface rust that one would see under their own S550.

So as far as your “fears” about exterior fading or interior issues from being parked out in the elements - it’s your internal fear only.

Oh yea, the Cobra has over 140k miles on it - no one believes me until they look at the odometer themselves.
—-

A good to excellent exterior car cover has weight to it, they’re usually not light especially those that are layered and aimed at protecting the vehicle body while it’s outside.

An exterior car cover can be a royal PIA to deal with on a vehicle that is parked outside. For example, so you’re all dappered out and have to go somewhere for an appointment after it rained or after leaves fell all over the place or after it’s been plastered with bird shit - have fun dealing with removing a dirty or sopping wet car cover by yourself - and then figuring out where you’re going to put it. A wet car cover in the trunk? Not a good idea.

Most modern interiors are impregnated with UV protectants that prevent the upholstery, plastics and vinyls from deteriorating like prior generations of vehicles.

A modern day car can survive outside 24/7/365 without a car cover.

—-

Many modern day “ceramics” either professionally applied OR many of the now off the shelf DIY products will prevent rain spot etching or prevent other contaminants from harming the painted/clearer surface. I’ve used the Meguiars Line of Ceramics on my wife’s CX-5. The product was applied as directed 4 Mos ago. Her car sits outside 24/7/365 and has not been washed recently in the last month. It’s rained/snowed here multiple times since that single application. The water beads but has not left any etched spots at all.

I would recommend you read up on the threads in this subsection of the site - lots of folks use DIY Ceramic products with great results:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/fo...vering-washing-waxing-detailing-repairing.78/

A1CD404B-46EA-485A-95C9-77E259AC6B6F.jpeg

2CCA281E-0E9B-4BA3-BDB5-BCCA5F0C8643.jpeg

A3CA7F72-8D3F-4D76-A45E-0A5CFD618B8A.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

jeniffergate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeniffer
Vehicle(s)
Q7
You said everything correctly, but if a car cover has its advantages, and there are much more of them, then why should you even think about buying such a thing? For example, I also live in New York. Everyone knows how it can often rain and snow here, especially in winter and autumn, so as soon as I bought a new car, I immediately also bought another car cover tarp, well, because I understood that without this thing, I would constantly wash my car and also it can be damaged by natural precipitation, which I did not want. So if I were you, having SUCH a car, I would buy a car cover.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
With the time it is now, applying a good paint sealer while studying options for future seasons could be a good idea. Sealers can be applied simply, quickly. If you intend on keeping the car for several years, +1 to ceramic coating or even PPF.

For the rubber seals and interior bits, adding some type of conditioner, to keep them from drying out and protecting against UV or temperature-related damage.

I can't speak to the cover. As others have pointed out, trapping moisture would be the immediate concern. Varmints? What about mice and other rodents, seeing the covered structure as a Winter home?

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
I used a cover for a very brief period. Was a PIA. Then it finally dawned on me that my cars would easily outlast me! I keep them relatively clean and I used to wax them religiously but, with the advent of the easy ceramic applications I’ve moved more towards that. It’s just a piece of metal.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
my 66 sets under cover, and the other 2 in the garage.... i do not drive the 66 that often, so it keeps it mostly protected from the elements in general...also it sets outside in winter so helps with snow and such. it is an "outdoor" cover so does a good job. very little wipe down after i take it off....yes there is some moisture but that is expected but also the cover allows it to dry too....
i was working on cleaning up the 3rd car spot in the garage for said 66 but now it seems it might be the Lego room for my kids (and myself) to do our "work" with the bricks.....

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a cover for my 21 GT/CS last year and use it when its going to sit outside during the rain/snow. It keeps the crap off it and looks great when I remove the cover. Takes about two minutes to put cover on or off. I ceramic coated the stang last year and when it did not have the cover on during rain...it still looked good after it dried off. I never covered my other vehicles. My 06GT (110,000 miles) lived outside for 12 of its 14 years on the road and still looked great. I made sure it was washed regularly and waxed twice a year.

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg
Sponsored