To clay or not to clay?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That is the question!

I vaguely remember asking this question on a UK detailing forum and got shot down in flames, but I'm going to ask it here too.

I like to think I'm pretty good when it comes to maintenance and my paint is in decent shape. Needs a polish but only a light touch to get it back to its best. However...what if I don't have time to get all the polishing kit out? My paintwork is in need of a clay and some good protection for sure, but I don't have the time really to do a polishing stage.

So do I clay, then seal and wax? Or should I skip the clay altogether? Worth saying my paint isn't heavily contaminated so only a light clay is needed, but my thinking is I'll get better performance from my protection following a clay step. The trade off is the chance I'll mar the paint slightly, or will I?

Interested in others thoughts!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don't have the time? What the...?

Call off sick from work, ditch your friends, cut off the ankle monitor...whatever it takes!

Priorities Kristian, priorities.
Haha you make a good point!

I should add, on my list for the day is also detailing the interior, including a decon of the interior glass, polishing the exterior glass, dressing all the plastic.

Adding some protection to my newly refurbished wheels - GTPP, which will take ages!

Maybe I'll do the engine bay too.

And polish the exhaust tips.

Oh gosh

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Of course you can skip polishing if you only have moderate contamination and your paint is in good shape.

BUT.......I think you already know what the answer is.

Wash
Deionize
Clay - light if you have moderate contamination.
Polish
Seal
Wax - preferably with ceramic

If you do not have the time to do it right just wash it and use a good ceramic detailer until you do have the time. This way you have some protection and didn't waste time by doing the job only part way.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

I should add, on my list for the day is also detailing the interior, including a decon of the interior glass, polishing the exterior glass, dressing all the plastic.

Adding some protection to my newly refurbished wheels - GTPP, which will take ages!

Oh gosh
So...you cut the ankle monitor then?

I need to do my interior windows...I think the plastic may have slowed the outgassing lately so maybe they will stay clean longer than a day.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

Oh gosh
Paint first, everything else second. :like:

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So...you cut the ankle monitor then?
I'll do that on the day haha

I need to do my interior windows...I think the plastic may have slowed the outgassing lately so maybe they will stay clean longer than a day.
My interior glass has always been a nightmare. Going to try the magic eraser method and see how that goes

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If you do not have the time to do it right just wash it and use a good ceramic detailer until you do have the time. This way you have some protection and didn't waste time by doing the job only part way.
I do have a spray on sealant (Adams Polishes H2O Guard & Gloss), which is my fave product of theirs. So I may end up going that route with no clay.

Desperate to do a proper sealant and wax application though and doing that on non clayed paint seems wrong. I guess it is!

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Try an iron removing spray first before claying. There are several out there to choose from and they typically remove all light contamination without the need to clay bar.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Try an iron removing spray first before claying. There are several out there to choose from and they typically remove all light contamination without the need to clay bar.
You are correct as this should be done but claying is still necessary to remove non iron contaminates. It is foolish to spend the time required to do the job and skip a step. With today’s new clay products it takes a very short time to do it.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Excellent idea, thank you. I do have a bottle of Adams fallout remover so will add that to my task list!

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Clay (synthetic or malleable) does impressive work.

But it wasn't until the first time I tried iron remover (then rinse, wash, then detail spray and clay) that I knew what True Smooth ®©™ was like.

-
Sponsored