Sponsored

Tis a sad day that I wish was an April fools joke.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Ummm, my 2020 GT500 stickered at $83k with Recaros and handling package. You would have to have a Double Golden Ticket GT500 to be stickered near $128, and I don't think they sticker that high minus ADM
I don't know; it was a black one and after all the "added charges" and stuff, I saw the $128K final number on it... it's Hawaii, so go figure...
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
First, sorry for the loss, glad you are OK. And the old lady too. That's someone's grandma.

Never take insurance advice from strangers on the Internet. Laws vary between states and you have no idea who these people are and out of which orifice they are speaking. I include myself in this warning. :frown:

Most insurance adjusters are pretty good and they will be able to give a fairly accurate estimate of costs. Added to that are the costs that the company will incur, including rental car for you and diminished value if you go that route. The latter may push you over the edge, if you want them to declare it a total loss.
Different everywhere like you said. Up here in Ontario Canada car rental cost isn't included in the car repair cost it's a seperate entity.

I wish we had diminished value though, sadly we don't. You'd have to sue the owner of the other car in small claims court to go after that.

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Few updates: The complete disassembly is still in the works, but I got a chance to look at the car's exterior damage more thoroughly.

With respect to the front end of the car, obviously the hood, bumper cover/grill, radiator components, and headlight need to be replaced. Also, the left frame sidemember horn (first ~12" or so) is damaged as well as the left fender, left fender apron, and left fender rail reinforcement; however, subframe and left strut tower both look intact.

Engine also appears to be untouched. Is it common/necessary to pull the engine to assess the damage in this situation??

For now, I'm still waiting on more disassembly so that they can give me a better/more accurate estimate; however, the adjuster says their prelim estimate is looking to be on the order of ~$25k??

I'm not sure how they arrived at that number from what I saw, but I'm certainly far from an autobody expert. I know there's no way to truly say without actually seeing the car, but just wanted to ask if that sounds like a reasonable ballpark number to y'all?

=====

For whatever it's worth, the frame sidemember horn damage appeared fairly similar to this (which were taken from this post).

1.png

2.png

Last edited:

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
No they don't need to pull the engine to assess what the damage is on your car. From what it looks like to me again, it'll be repaired.

The insurance adjuster / bodyshop will have an agreement of that 25k for the repair to come within pretty close to this amount and will eatt it either way it goes +/-.

Unless there is massive hidden damage which i doubt and they decide to repair there will be nothing you can do to change their minds (insurance company).

This has been my past experience when they're almost totaled (in value only, not the actual state of the car)but not quite.

This cost 25k to repair on paper anyways. Canadian dollars. Driver seat airbag went off as well.

Entire rear subframe and a bunch of other suspension components replaced on driver side. New rear taillight / bumper. Airbags / seatbelts / explosive pretensioners. Headliner / interior door panels due to side curtain marking them all up. Rear driver rim and tire. Some other shit too plus bodywork and repaint and clear vinyl protectant / Borla exhaust (suspension arm contact)

20190907_111954.jpg

20190907_111959.jpg

20190907_103125.jpg

20190907_111941.jpg

20190907_112847.jpg

20190907_112842.jpg

20190907_135722.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
No they don't need to pull the engine to assess what the damage is on your car. From what it looks like to me again, it'll be repaired.

The insurance adjuster / bodyshop will have an agreement of that 25k for the repair to come within pretty close to this amount and will eatt it either way it goes +/-.

Unless there is massive hidden damage which i doubt and they decide to repair there will be nothing you can do to change their minds (insurance company).

This has been my past experience when they're almost totaled (in value only, not the actual state of the car)but not quite.

This cost 25k to repair on paper anyways. Canadian dollars. Driver seat airbag went off as well.

Entire rear subframe and a bunch of other suspension components replaced on driver side. New rear taillight / bumper. Airbags / seatbelts / explosive pretensioners. Headliner / interior door panels due to side curtain marking them all up. Rear driver rim and tire. Some other shit too plus bodywork and repaint and clear vinyl protectant / Borla exhaust (suspension arm contact)

20190907_111954.jpg

20190907_111959.jpg

20190907_103125.jpg

20190907_111941.jpg

20190907_112847.jpg

20190907_112842.jpg

20190907_135722.jpg
Wow $25K!? that's insane, doesn't even look like that much damage. If mine is truly on the cusp of total loss, I may just try to push for it to be totaled since many of the front end parts are on back order and may take several weeks to come in (per collision shop).

Sponsored

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
First, sorry for the loss, glad you are OK. And the old lady too. That's someone's grandma.

Never take insurance advice from strangers on the Internet. Laws vary between states and you have no idea who these people are and out of which orifice they are speaking. I include myself in this warning. :frown:

Most insurance adjusters are pretty good and they will be able to give a fairly accurate estimate of costs. Added to that are the costs that the company will incur, including rental car for you and diminished value if you go that route. The latter may push you over the edge, if you want them to declare it a total loss.
Many don't realize that insurance laws and policies are different in every state.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Wow $25K!? that's insane, doesn't even look like that much damage. If mine is truly on the cusp of total loss, I may just try to push for it to be totaled since many of the front end parts are on back order and may take several weeks to come in (per collision shop).
$25k is "on the cusp of a total loss"?? How do you determine that?

You would need to be well north of 80% of the car's value to total it. Unless you had a stripper version with a ton of miles or in mediocre shape before the accident, I don't know why you think its value was in the $30k range.

Last edited:

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
If you're hoping for a "total" I'm with you. It looks like you have damage front and back plus the cracked wheel and who knows if there's any suspension issues. When it comes time to sell everyone will give you a hard time about the damage, what was done, who fixed it, does it rattle etc. If it were me, for peace of mind, I'd take the check and start over with a new/newer, i.e. slightly used car with no accident damage and go from there. From this point on, anytime something crops up you'll think it might be related to the accident and you just don't need that worry for the rest of your ownership.

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
$25k is "on the cusp of a total loss"?? How do you determine that?

You would need to be well north of 80% of the car's value to total it. Unless you had a stripper version with a ton of miles or in mediocre shape before the accident, I don't know why you think its value was in the $30k range.
The threshold differs from state to state with many not requiring "north of 80%". Assuming mine is ~$34-35k, then $25k would put it pretty close to the threshold.... At the very least, it's borderline.

Do you think the value is >$40k? because it's definitely not. At least not my area, it's more in the mid-30k range.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
The threshold differs from state to state with many not requiring "north of 80%". Assuming mine is ~$34-35k, then $25k would put it pretty close to the threshold.... At the very least, it's borderline.

Do you think the value is >$40k? because it's definitely not. At least not my area, it's more in the mid-30k range.
Don't know where you are and different states allow adjusters to determine ACV in different ways. They should be adding in an amount equivalent to sales tax to the total loss settlement calculation (I assume they do that in all or most states), so that could add a couple thousand to ACV figure when considering if it is totalled.

Sponsored

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird

What did you pay for it now? It's a recent model. If you paid say ~40k, you could probably argue for it to be valued near 35k. It sucks because you are likely to be borderline but they will want to fix it - so you'll need to fight to push for a total.

Bumblee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anna
Vehicle(s)
2000 GT
Oh. Grateful you both okay with what happened. What happens with the insurance? does it cover all the damage?

OP
OP
codereddew

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Oh. Grateful you both okay with what happened. What happens with the insurance? does it cover all the damage?
To update everyone:

The damage repair costs did end up being around $27k. In Texas, insurance companies can decide to repair a vehicle up until the repair costs exceed 100% ACV of the vehicle; however, this isn't a hard fast rule and it's ultimately up to the insurer to decide if a vehicle is total loss (with most companies deeming total loss if repair costs are > 70-75% ACV).

Given that there were quite a few replacement parts on backorder, I ultimately elected to just push for it to be totaled of which my adjuster was agreeable to.

So, that's where I'm at. I'm currently in search of a new 2019+ GT, 10r80 transmission, preferably race or rapid red, but would also consider velocity blue. Bonus if you're in the South Texas area.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Damn dude. Best of luck in your search.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Damn dude. Best of luck in your search.
ditto

I feel bad for you on the fact, that Carvana would of gave you prob another 10k on that offer, I wonder if you can get them to offer more, re evaluate selling value of cars from recent sales.

Just yesterday I was going 35mph down a 35mph road, and a guy waits til I am like 4 seconds from his house, and he just floors it backwards into both lanes (2 lane road) and I had to STOMP brakes almost hit him. I honked, and said WTF. he was laughing through his window

his neighbor saw it all, and was shaking his head. his entire ass end of his truck was in my lane. didn't give a shit about us.

its getting awful out there, from people running redlihgts or speeding or just not caring about their co riders on the road. we gotta share the road.
Sponsored