Sponsored

Tires: Good performance in summer; still safe in the rain

oguruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-250
Looking for a tire recommendation. 2023 GT, will likely get a supercharger within the next year or so. Primarily just a fun DD, probably 5-10 trips down the drag strip per year, and some driving through the backroads.

I'd like to a nice sticky tire for the dry months, but also still safe to drive in the rain. I live in the PNW, and I don't get any snow, but plenty of rain here, although I will drive my truck most of the time during the winter months.

I'll likely drive < 5,000 miles/year, so I'm not super concerned with tread life.
Sponsored

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I enjoyed the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires I had on my Audi.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
DWS06(+) are lovely. Summer compounds you're looking at Supercar3 or PS4S with the latter being much better apparently - I don't remember having issues in the rain with the Camaro (Supercar3) but a fellow member just drove a couple hundred miles this weekend in fairly significant rain and said they were sketch as hell and prone to hydroplane. PS4S don't have that problem at all.

cahillsm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 F150 XLT Sport 4x4
I'd say you have many options here. But based on your description, and in addition to what's been mentioned:

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 02
FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500

I use the Firehawks as my DD non-winter, non-track tires and they are rock solid. Not the most high-performance summer tire by any means - but they put AS tires to shame - even the Conti DWS. Also, if price is a factor in your decision - they are much cheaper than many of the other options - especially the PS4S. My wife runs the Conti EC Sport on her Lexus RC350F and loves them - they've been really good for where they group as a decent autocross tire as well.

If you're wanting an AS tire - I agree with OneWolf - you really can't go wrong with the Conti DWS.

Food for thought - good luck!

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
All Mustangs immediately hydroplane on wet roads! :)

The Conti DWS06+ is a good compromise as any all-weather tire will be. I have had zero events in the rain with either the Michelin PS4S or the Conti EC Sports I have now. Driving habits and abilities play a significant role in safety. I ain't sayen' I'm the best driver but I do know when to slow my roll.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I agree, for a summer tire I would go with the Pilot 4s or the Contineintal Extreme contact. All season, I like the DWS 06 or the Michelin Pilot all season 4. Can't go wrong with any of these . I have the Pilot all season 4 on my PP wheels and run them in the cooler months, they are rock solid in all weather. Whatever you do, don't get the Nitto 555 G2. I have them and they are like driving on ice in the rain :(

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Conti ECS works fine in the rain for me.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Do you not get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S from factory?
We get them for EU spec, they are great when dry and when wet.
Would not choose a different tire, the Michelin are one of the most expenive road tires to choose but worth every cent.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
+1 for the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Great all purpose tire. I'm now on my 2nd set and love them. The price has doubled in the last few years (what hasn't) but still better than the Michelin or Conti tires.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
+1 for the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Great all purpose tire. I'm now on my 2nd set and love them. The price has doubled in the last few years (what hasn't) but still better than the Michelin or Conti tires.
It’s a shame that the whole Explorer Firestone debacle ruined that historic relationship.

Sponsored
OP
OP

oguruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-250
Compared to a drag radial, how sticky/soft is the compound on these?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Whatever you do, don't get the Nitto 555 G2
Cannot emphasize this enough. Friends don’t let friends buy Nitto G2’s.

OP, I run Continental ECS summer tires here in the Chicago area from mid April until late October/early November. No issues in the rain whatsoever, even in cooler temps. Just gotta back off the throttle a little when it’s cooler. Michelin PS4S are excellent as well. Same brands if you want an all season, they’re 2 of the best out there.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Continental extreme sport DWS on for the colder months here in Chicago and I have to say I like them way more than the ps4s tires that came on my Mach 1.
Much more confidence inspiring!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Compared to a drag radial, how sticky/soft is the compound on these?
I've ran mp4s, indy500s and 555r2s in the same size and they all perform pretty similar for normal driving and rain. The 555 doesn't really start to shine above the others until you get it hot. But being you drive less than 5k a year I'd still go with the 555s if I was in your position.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Nitto 555 is trash. Period.
If rain is heavy then ps4 or conti. They are both similar. I had them both on cmaro mustang and shelby. Conti gets my preference cause is cheaper and offer same results than ps4
But
If the rain is light and not standing. The fastest tire available for your purposes are
Yoko a052. Top 2.tire for grip .right behind GY 3R (but 3R CANNOT BE use in cold and rain)
A052 is faster in water than PS4 according tirerack tests.

Nankang CRS awesome tire. And not bad in light rain more size available.
If the strip or grip is what u looking for pick of of these

If heavy rain is priority then CONTI

PS.
Supercar3 are ok in light rain. In warm and dry they are in pace with cup2. (Still way Slower than a052 )
Sponsored