Tires: Good performance in summer; still safe in the rain

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
for a budget option hankook ventus v12 evo. I have them square in 305 30-19 and love them. They eat wet roads like a champ and still remain pretty sticky on dry roads. The side wall isn't as stiff as the cup 2's but for a daily driver their great.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The GMAX (not sure how different from RS) don't much like cold+wet. Gets very numb and imprecise. Cold+dry they do well enough. Cold means 45f or below

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
The DWS06+ is a pretty good option, but I found they felt "squishy" for lack of a better term. The car felt much, much softer and while it had great grip it gave up a lot of the steering and suspension feel. I swapped them out for the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ and they are nothing short of amazing. Better grip and the none of the vague / squishiness of the DWS06

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Compared to a drag radial, how sticky/soft is the compound on these?
Not even on the same planet. The Firehawks are a good "budget" summer tire, but they are nothing special and not anywhere near compared to a drag radial. Although to be honest not many street tires are either regardless of cost and quality.

I've had better luck with a quality all season than the Firehawks, but they cost more so it was to be expected.

Sponsored

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
The DWS06+ is a pretty good option, but I found they felt "squishy" for lack of a better term.
I had the same experience on my BMW M235i. When they broke in after about 2k miles, they were better...but I never really liked them.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Looking for a tire recommendation. 2023 GT, will likely get a supercharger within the next year or so. Primarily just a fun DD, probably 5-10 trips down the drag strip per year, and some driving through the backroads.

I'd like to a nice sticky tire for the dry months, but also still safe to drive in the rain. I live in the PNW, and I don't get any snow, but plenty of rain here, although I will drive my truck most of the time during the winter months.

I'll likely drive < 5,000 miles/year, so I'm not super concerned with tread life.
If budget is no concern, the I have to recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Yes they are expensive and have similar cheaper options, but the Michelin is just better in a lot of scenarios. Sure, there are tires that will keep up just fine with the Michelins, but at the end of the day I wanted peace of mind. I wanted to thrash as hard as I could on the tires at the track and the be able to drive home safe and sound then commute to work the next morning in the rain.

I have never experienced hydroplaning or any sort of loss of traction while driving (except in a straight line as I have the stock PP 275s lol!). You also get what you pay for. I'm not sure what treadwear warranties other companies offer (if any) but if you have a square set up Michelin will warranty them for 30K miles. I went through a set in 22k miles and had them 85% discounted for the next set.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
Compared to a drag radial, how sticky/soft is the compound on these?
I've never driven a drag radial so I really can't compare. I'm a road course guy. I can tell you the Indy500's feel planted, do well in the rain and they last like crazy. I got about 35k on my last set of rears and that's with a couple track days. The fronts still have about 30% good tread left.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
Having driven on Mickey drag radials, Sport Cup 2s and Continental Extreme Contact Sport, my opinion...

the best in the summer for traction, mickey drag radials, 15k miles

best handling on dry road, Sport Cup 2s, 7k miles

best in the rain and overall, Continental Extreme Contact Sport. 35k miles

Having said that, recently switched to the Continental ECS 02 and they are far superior to the old ECS.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
recently switched to the Continental ECS 02 and they are far superior to the old ECS.
I’ve heard this a few times. I need to burn through my OG ECS and get those 02’s LOL

Sponsored

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve heard this a few times. I need to burn through my OG ECS and get those 02’s LOL
100% worth the switch. Tread design is so much different and the road noise is less. I used my og ecs at Buttonwillow and was pretty impressed, can't wait to test the 02's

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
I've been running Pilot A/S 3+ on my EcoBoost for over 25,000 miles. We have cold weather around here from time-to-time during the winter months, but I never drive mine in the snow, so a three season tire is must, as I like to drive mine year round when the weather is decent.

For what it's worth, I can't tell any difference in the performance between the A/S 3+ and summer tires that came with car.

dgreene1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I agree, for a summer tire I would go with the Pilot 4s or the Contineintal Extreme contact. All season, I like the DWS 06 or the Michelin Pilot all season 4. Can't go wrong with any of these . I have the Pilot all season 4 on my PP wheels and run them in the cooler months, they are rock solid in all weather. Whatever you do, don't get the Nitto 555 G2. I have them and they are like driving on ice in the rain :(
Agree on the Nitto 555 G2's in the rain on my '18 GT, 305 rears 285 fronts. Mine are 50% worn and scary dangerous in the rain. Nobody else is allowed to drive it. Regret buying them and will likely replace with Indy 500's.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Agree on the Nitto 555 G2's in the rain on my '18 GT, 305 rears 285 fronts. Mine are 50% worn and scary dangerous in the rain. Nobody else is allowed to drive it. Regret buying them and will likely replace with Indy 500's.
Yes I totally agree. I can't give it any throttle at all in mine., she goes sideways at nothing And mine are fairly new. I have been driving the more and more, in the dry they are sorta OK. I will be going to Continental Extreme Contacts next time.

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I’d love to see some 60fts with some of these recs.
Sponsored