Sponsored

Tired of waiting for the GT500

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
It's clear that the GT500 will be the end of life model for the S550. Just like the ZR1 is the last C7 Corvette and Chevy will release a Z/28 only in the last years of the 6th Gen Camaro.
I guess the GT500 will release as MY2020, maybe a rumored GT500R as MY2021 and 7th Gen will come as MY2022.
No Z28 on the horizon unfortunately.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
No Z28 on the horizon unfortunately.
Yes, GM and Chevrolet will think long and hard when considering a new Z28 model based on what a disappointment the 2014/2015's were on all levels.

:sunglasses:

Davy_Baby9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRD
Yes, GM and Chevrolet will think long and hard when considering a new Z28 model based on what a disappointment the 2014/2015's were on all levels.

:sunglasses:
Not sure what disappointment you are referring to with the Z/28. It destroyed track times. I think they just built too many.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not sure what disappointment you are referring to with the Z/28. It destroyed track times. I think they just built too many.
From my perspective the Z/28 had a great engine and Chevy did all they could to make it fast on the track (sticking to simple and non-innovative changes like super stiff springs and sticky tires, though). People just don't want a vehicle with no sound deadening and super stiff springs, even if it performs very well.

Kind of like the Viper ACR. Super fast, super capable, but how many people want to daily drive it - or even drive it regularly?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
There were all kinds of disappointments with the 2014/2015 Z28 starting with the heart of any performance automobile namely the engine.

It sure took a lot of thought and imagination for Chevrolet to plant a NA 427 CI LS7 into their new Z28 as that was a left over engine from the previous years Z06 Corvette with it producing a whole 505 HP.

A two year build for an iconic Pony car that all started way back in 1967 with Chevrolet and that is the best that they could do for a high performance engine for their new Limited Edition Z28? Certainly a total difference in strategy compared to their main Pony Car competitor namely the Boss 302 and what they came up with.

With the Z28 coming in at ~3850# straight line performance times were not very impressive with a Zero to 60 time of 4.4 seconds and a quarter mile time of 12.7 seconds. Compare those times with a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca that has a much smaller NA Coyote engine and produces 444 HP (actually closer to 465) with a Zero to 60 time of 4.1 seconds and a quarter mile time of 12.3 on a chassis that is 2 years older than the Z28.

All this from a Z28 that has an MSRP of ~$76,500 when equipped with AC compared to a 2012 Boss LS with an MSRP of ~$48,500 therefore not even close in bang for the buck.

No doubt that the chassis/suspension, wheels/tires of the Z28 were the highlight for the car but keep in mind the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca was only 1 second behind the Z28 at NĂĽrburgring. (Yes, different drivers and different conditions but you get my point)

With respect to production numbers it is hard for me to understand how a total of ~600 Z28 cars built for the 2014 MY and ~2600 cars built for the 2015MY are just too many cars over a two year build especially for such a strong cult following of the iconic Z28. Also, it was very interesting to see how deeply discounted pricing got for the Z28 cars even with their low production numbers.

Over a different two year period (2012/2013) Ford built 8395 Boss 302 cars which far exceeds the Z28 production numbers and yet sold many of them at MSRP or higher which is a far cry from what the dealers were doing with the Z28.

I have numerous car buddies who are GM enthusiasts and they were not impressed with the performance of the Z28 let alone at the price point at which Chevrolet offered this car.

:)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Davy_Baby9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRD
From my perspective the Z/28 had a great engine and Chevy did all they could to make it fast on the track (sticking to simple and non-innovative changes like super stiff springs and sticky tires, though). People just don't want a vehicle with no sound deadening and super stiff springs, even if it performs very well.

Kind of like the Viper ACR. Super fast, super capable, but how many people want to daily drive it - or even drive it regularly?
Yeah I was just stating GM threw everything they could at the heavy platform and it performed fairly well. I wouldn't daily drive one that's for sure. It would be a track only, and maybe Friday to work and cars shows and that's it. Harsh suspension and crap radio. Kinda like purchasing a ZL1 1LE, with how rough it is on the road, it just wouldn't be fun.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah I was just stating GM threw everything they could at the heavy platform and it performed fairly well. I wouldn't daily drive one that's for sure. It would be a track only, and maybe Friday to work and cars shows and that's it. Harsh suspension and crap radio. Kinda like purchasing a ZL1 1LE, with how rough it is on the road, it just wouldn't be fun.
I agree it performed fairly well. In raw performance it was pretty close to the GT350R IIRC (albeit the Z/28 in the comparison made a fair amount more power than I think they typically do in stock form).

Plus didn't they put carbon ceramic brakes on it? That would scare me off unless I really had a lot of extra dough laying around.

Davy_Baby9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRD
There were all kinds of disappointments with the 2014/2015 Z28 starting with the heart of any performance automobile namely the engine.

It sure took a lot of thought and imagination for Chevrolet to plant a NA 427 CI LS7 left over engine from the previous years Z06 Corvette with it producing a whole 505 HP. A two year build for an iconic Pony car that all started way back in 1967 with Chevrolet and that is the best that they could do for a HP engine for their new Limited Edition Z28? Certainly a total difference in strategy compared to their main Pony Car competitor namely the Boss 302 and what they came up with.

With the Z28 coming in at ~3850# straight line performance times were not very impressive with a Zero to 60 time of 4.4 seconds and a quarter mile time of 12.7 seconds. Compare those times with a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca that has a much smaller NA Coyote engine and produces 444 HP (actually closer to 465) with a Zero to 60 time of 4.1 seconds and a quarter mile time of 12.3 on a chassis that is 2 years older than the Z28.

All this from a Z28 that has an MSRP of ~$76,500 when equipped with AC compared to a 2012 Boss LS with an MSRP of ~$48,500 therefore not even close in bang for the buck.

No doubt that the chassis/suspension, wheels/tires of the Z28 were the highlight for the car but keep in mind the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca was only 1 second behind the Z28 at NĂĽrburgring. (Yes, different drivers and different conditions but you get my point)

With respect to production numbers it is hard for me to understand how a total of ~600 Z28 cars built for the 2014 MY and ~2600 cars built for the 2015MY are just too many cars over a two year build especially for a strong cult following of the iconic Z28. Also, it was very interesting to see how deeply discounted pricing got on the Z28 cars even with their low production numbers.

Over a different two year period (2012/2013) Ford built 8395 Boss 302 cars which far exceeds the Z28 production numbers and yet sold many of them at MSRP or higher which is a far cry from what the dealers were doing with the Z28.

I have numerous car buddies who are GM enthusiasts and they were not impressed with the performance of the Z28 let alone at the price point at which Chevrolet offered this car.

:)
This bleeds as a super homerism post. The LS7 was and is a great motor (when not dropping valves). The formula was simple, drop the weight, add the biggest NA motor they had, and upgrade thr brakes and suspension. It was great on the track but sucked as a daily driver.The straight line numbers were meh but that's not what it was built for. That's like dogging the GT350 1/4 mile times.

And I'm not seeing the 302 LS numbers on the Nurburgring site, and I'd be shocked if it came within 30 seconds of the Z/28's time if I go off the 2015 GT times.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
This bleeds as a super homerism post. The LS7 was and is a great motor (when not dropping valves). The formula was simple, drop the weight, add the biggest NA motor they had, and upgrade thr brakes and suspension. It was great on the track but sucked as a daily driver.The straight line numbers were meh but that's not what it was built for. That's like dogging the GT350 1/4 mile times.

And I'm not seeing the 302 LS numbers on the Nurburgring site, and I'd be shocked if it came within 30 seconds of the Z/28's time if I go off the 2015 GT times.
Agreed that it was pretty much a one trick pony and was brutal as you mentioned as a daily driver especially with those huge Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R's up front and the race inspired suspension.

With respect to the NA 427 cubic inch LS7 it was certainly nothing special in my opinion especially compared to what Ford has done with much smaller NA engines such as the Coyote 302 and the 315 cubic inch Voodoo. Ford developed much smaller displacement NA engines with much more horsepower per cubic inch with the performance times reflective of that and confirmed by both the 302 and the FPC GT350.

There is no homerism in my intent as I grew up with the original '67 302 Z28 and really lusted after that car and still do today. Back in the day it took Ford two years to come up with an engine that could compete with the Chevrolet small block that they put together in 1967 and it has been exciting to watch both side duke it out over the last 5 decades.

GM has produced some outstanding Pony Cars over the years but certainly don't think that the 2014/2015 Z28 was one of their best moments.

With respect to the 302 Laguna Seca run at NĂĽrburgring I remember reading that quite some time ago and recall that is was a female as well and it was no 30 second difference between the two cars.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I've had nothing but mustangs for 17 years, all my cars since I started driving have been mustangs.
I now have a 2016 GT and enjoy the car but looking for that next level upgrade.

Most performance brands have upgraded their models: Challenger and Charger Hellcats, C7 Corvettes, Camaro ZL1, etc...
Ford has been "sleeping on the wheel" and the GT500 is very late in my opinion.
Not to count that once it's delivered(whenever that is), it will be impossible to find one and all of them will have insane markups.

I'm tired of waiting for the GT500, and after 17 years, I'm currently looking at the Camaro ZL1.
It has great reviews, great power, great handling, great transmission and I can order one now.

Anyone else think Ford is late with the GT500? Anyone else looking at other cars?
Thoughts on the ZL1?

Sponsored

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I am taking my 350 in for my year end (before storage) oil change at the dealership. I am meeting my salesman to put a deposit on a 500, hoping that I make the cut. Far better to take a chance now than wait around for the door to finally open. Remember, how many allotments per dealership as with the 350. Known as shit it or git it.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am hoping the CEO at Ford will look at the small allocations Ford dealers receive for the Shelby Mustangs and at least double the allocations. We all deserve a reasonable chance of owning a GT350R or Shelby GT500.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I am hoping the CEO at Ford will look at the small allocations Ford dealers receive for the Shelby Mustangs and at least double the allocations. We all deserve a reasonable chance of owning a GT350R or Shelby GT500.
We all deserve... Lol. I dunno about that line of thought...in any context really. Find a way if you really want one. Sure it's a lot easier if you have boat load of $$$. Otherwise do your research and pick your moment to pounce. Ya know working for it goes a long way as well.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I've had nothing but mustangs for 17 years, all my cars since I started driving have been mustangs.
I now have a 2016 GT and enjoy the car but looking for that next level upgrade.

Most performance brands have upgraded their models: Challenger and Charger Hellcats, C7 Corvettes, Camaro ZL1, etc...
Ford has been "sleeping on the wheel" and the GT500 is very late in my opinion.
Not to count that once it's delivered(whenever that is), it will be impossible to find one and all of them will have insane markups.

I'm tired of waiting for the GT500, and after 17 years, I'm currently looking at the Camaro ZL1.
It has great reviews, great power, great handling, great transmission and I can order one now.

Anyone else think Ford is late with the GT500? Anyone else looking at other cars?
Thoughts on the ZL1?
I put my deposit for the Shelby GT500 in at the dealership Saturday, sitting here right now with the paperwork in my hot little hand. Now it is just the waiting game to hear for the next step.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
We all deserve... Lol. I dunno about that line of thought...in any context really. Find a way if you really want one. Sure it's a lot easier if you have boat load of $$$. Otherwise do your research and pick your moment to pounce. Ya know working for it goes a long way as well.
and while they are at it, lets get to making 10,000+ of the GT/ year because we all deserve that one too.
Sponsored