Sponsored

Tired of waiting for the GT500

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had a '16 350 TP before my R that I tracked 4 times ...Autobahn in Joliet, IL. I've had my Z/28 to the same track twice....and also Road America. Both cars on Michelin PSS tires. I think they are 2 different animals that get the same job done, but get to the end result differently.

The only brake fade I experienced in either car was when the pads on my 350 were down to nearly nothing. I'm no Randy Pobst and both cars still need a driver upgrade. My Z/28 had 3000 miles on it when I bought it. The brake pads looked nearly new, and yes...I have the carbon brakes. After 2 track days and some 135mph blasts at Road America, they still look new. You can't say that with the 350. My brake pads on it lasted 3 track days on a slower track.

I will have my R to the track this summer. It had 1700 miles on it when I bought it at below MSRP with lots of extras. Carbon wheels and P Cups will be on it at the track, but I purchased a set of Vibe R replica wheels for daily driving. They seem to be the best replica wheels on the market that look great and have plenty of caliper clearance. 1 set costs as much as replacing 1 carbon wheel!

Set-of-the-pants driving around town: Z/28 wins hands down. Sound and heads turned: GT350R wins hands down. Its a good time to be a car guy!
How many street miles on the Z/28? Or do you mostly just drive it on the track?
Sponsored

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I think I still have less than 4500 miles on it. It feels like a performance car is supposed to feel on the street, as far as I'm concerned. People that bitch about a rough ride should just buy a Prius, and people that complain about visibility out of a Camaro have probably never driven one, or are just brand fan boys. They would probably bitch about a Dodge Demon getting poor gas milage if we were on a Dodge forum!)

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I think 50k ADM's will be commonplace.
In California and the like (where lots of people have lots of money) yes it will be.

In the midwest I think they will be around $10k to $15k over sticker for a base GT500. GT500R will be marked up more of course.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think I still have less than 4500 miles on it. It feels like a performance car is supposed to feel on the street, as far as I'm concerned. People that bitch about a rough ride should just buy a Prius, and people that complain about visibility out of a Camaro have probably never driven one, or are just brand fan boys. They would probably bitch about a Dodge Demon getting poor gas milage if we were on a Dodge forum!)
The visibility out of the Camaro is truly terrible. I've driven a 16 and a 17, along with a couple of the previous gen. Hopping right back into the Mustang makes it obvious how bad it is. Anyone excusing the visibility is a fan boy, not the other way around.

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The visibility out of the Camaro is truly terrible. I've driven a 16 and a 17, along with a couple of the previous gen. Hopping right back into the Mustang makes it obvious how bad it is. Anyone excusing the visibility is a fan boy, not the other way around.
I was concerned about the visibility because of everything I had heard/read about the Camaro. I ended up buying my 5th Gen Z/28 without ever even sat in a Camaro, let alone driven one. All I can say is that the visibility concern depends on the driver. It doesn't bother me in the least bit, and my car has the additional Gurney flap on the spoiler. Whether I'm on the track, or driving around town, it doesn;t bother me at all. An argument could be made that visibility to the rear is worse in an R because of the spoiler! I would imagine that most people haven't sat in...let alone driven an R around town or at the track either.
This is the opinion of a non-fan boy, and you know what they say about opinions! I have a '13 Boss, '15 Z/28, '17 R, and a '69 Trans Am clone (8-point cage, 600HP LS3, T56, 4 link, 9" ford, etc). My next car will probably be a ZL1 1LE. They are already available for $10K off sticker!

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The only thing I didn't like in driving the new Camaro on the road and at the track was the sunk in pocket GM stamps in the floor right where your feet are. My heel ended up always being right on the slope where it transitions downward. I hated that as I could never relax my feet. The Mustang has nothing of the sort.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I still don’t get the visibility thing, i only have problems looking out the back...but with the ZLE I’d kinda expect that lol. I do understand not being able to fit some brand 30pks and helmets through the windows...a real hindrance.

I think i would qualify as a mustang/ford fanboy (minus the 350) and i didn’t feel like i could see soooo much more out of it than i can my camaro.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
4,500 miles makes it seem like you don't really enjoy driving it. Or have you only owned it for a few months?

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4,500 miles makes it seem like you don't really enjoy driving it. Or have you only owned it for a few months?
I bought it last January and I live in Iowa, so you can draw your own conclusions from that. I also have 3 other cars to drive as well, and nothing gets driven in the rain. My Boss 302 has 6K miles on it and I have had it since new. The Z has been to the track 3 times already and I haven't owned it a year yet. Driving around town I actually prefer it over the R due to more low end torque.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I still don’t get the visibility thing, i only have problems looking out the back...but with the ZLE I’d kinda expect that lol. I do understand not being able to fit some brand 30pks and helmets through the windows...a real hindrance.

I think i would qualify as a mustang/ford fanboy (minus the 350) and i didn’t feel like i could see soooo much more out of it than i can my camaro.
It's much more obvious if you go back to back quickly between the two. The amount of glass difference is staggering to feel. I don't know the objective area difference but it feels like a good 20% more in the Mustang.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I bought it last January and I live in Iowa, so you can draw your own conclusions from that. I also have 3 other cars to drive as well, and nothing gets driven in the rain. My Boss 302 has 6K miles on it and I have had it since new. The Z has been to the track 3 times already and I haven't owned it a year yet. Driving around town I actually prefer it over the R due to more low end torque.
Makes sense to me. I'm sure the big 427 is a great motor to drive around with on the street. I wish Ford would build engines with 7 liter displacement.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense to me. I'm sure the big 427 is a great motor to drive around with on the street. I wish Ford would build engines with 7 liter displacement.
A four cam 7.0L would be unbelievable, though also enormous.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A four cam 7.0L would be unbelievable, though also enormous.
Not sure you are serious. The Voodoo bore and stroke is 3.7 x 3.66 inches. A Chevy big block 427 is 4.25 x 3.76, respectively. Is it bigger? Yes. Enormous? Not in my opinion. Yes the engine would have to get roughly 1.65 inches longer and 0.10 inches greater deck height. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference unless both were right next to each other.

edit: I do understand if you wanted to keep a small bore the deck height would have to grow more, and that could be more noticeable.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure you are serious. The Voodoo bore and stroke is 3.7 x 3.66 inches. A Chevy big block 427 is 4.25 x 3.76, respectively. Is it bigger? Yes. Enormous? Not in my opinion. Yes the engine would have to get roughly 1.65 inches longer and 0.10 inches greater deck height. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference unless both were right next to each other.

edit: I do understand if you wanted to keep a small bore the deck height would have to grow more, and that could be more noticeable.
A Chevy big block is also OHV...

A 7.0L DOHC V8 is a big boy. If equaling the Chevy dimensions, It would have to grow in length by a minimum of 2.2" ((4.25-3.7)*4) just to account for the bore, the banks & heads would have to get at least 0.55" thicker/wider, and you'd want to beef up the block some for the higher forces in the engine. It'd be a significantly bigger engine than the Coyote/Voodoo, probably on the order of 2.5" longer and 1" wider and 0.5-1.0" taller. In terms of vehicle packaging, that is big.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
A Chevy big block is also OHV...

A 7.0L DOHC V8 is a big boy. If equaling the Chevy dimensions, It would have to grow in length by a minimum of 2.2" ((4.25-3.7)*4) just to account for the bore, the banks & heads would have to get at least 0.55" thicker/wider, and you'd want to beef up the block some for the higher forces in the engine. It'd be a significantly bigger engine than the Coyote/Voodoo, probably on the order of 2.5" longer and 1" wider and 0.5-1.0" taller. In terms of vehicle packaging, that is big.
The 7.0L in the C5 Corvette Z06 and the Camaro 5 Z/28 are small block, not big block. Physically, they are no bigger than the LS engine. Just bigger holes.
Sponsored