Sponsored

Tired of exhaust options

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I have been listening to exhaust clips for EcoBoost for over three years now and have not found an acceptable system, and in my opinion, never will.
My priority for an exhaust is no longer sound and performance.
What I want now is just performance. So what I am pursuing is a "real" low restriction "quiet"exhaust system. The stock system sounds just as bad as the after market brands.
So therefore ,I am looking for suggestions. I know some of you younger members will make negative comments, Go ahead.
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Have you checked out the borla touring axelback/catback? It is slightly louder than stock with a nice tone. Good for those who arent looking for loud. I personally have the borla s-type and it sounds great. Its not deep, no drone, loud when you step on it. If I were to do it all over again, I would have gotten the AWE exhaust. Its half the price of borla and sounds pretty much as good. It just wasnt out when I got my exhaust.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Catted downpipe, resonator delete? You won't lose much through the stock mufflers and it'll be quiet.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Youtube videos don't give an even remotely accurate depiction of the sound you'll get with an exhaust.

I made a youtube video of my custom cat-back and it wasn't even close to the actual sound.

You're not going to get away from the 4 cylinder sound, so if that's what's not acceptable to you, then :shrug:.

I thought mine sounded good for what it was. I used a Lethal Performance resonator delete and NXT Step Performance axle-back. It was very deep at idle and would do some popping on a down shift. With the engine under load, it was definitely a 4 cylinder, but it had a smooth tone and not that farty raspy crap you get sometimes.

Didn't sound anywhere near as good as my Hemi does, though. :D

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I have heard many exhaust systems up close in local car shows and at Gainesville MS. They all sound like crap. I have been a muscle car enthusiast for 50 years, so I guess I'm just used to the V8 muscle car sound. I'd rather have no sound than to subject myself the I4 cyl noise. And no I won't go back to a V8. I love the way this car handles compared to all the other cars I have owned. Except for maybe the '89 Audi Quattro Coupe I had for about 10 years. And the technology is just incredible.
:love:

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I have heard many exhaust systems up close in local car shows and at Gainesville MS. They all sound like crap. I have been a muscle car enthusiast for 50 years, so I guess I'm just used to the V8 muscle car sound. I'd rather have no sound than to subject myself the I4 cyl noise. And no I won't go back to a V8. I love the way this car handles compared to all the other cars I have owned. Except for maybe the '89 Audi Quattro Coupe I had for about 10 years. And the technology is just incredible.
Yea stock may not have the best performance, but in terms of sound that should definitely be left alone IMHO, nothing worse that a fart sounding mustang that's for sure. it's not loud or nice, but it sounds "best" as is in terms of 4 cylinders options which subtle is better, another bonus of not touching the exhaust is the possibility of trying to deny warranty "because you changed the back pressure your turbo failed" possible scenario for those who care about warranty.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
The stock exhausts on the GT, Eco and V6 all sound very tame to me. Appealing to the masses was Ford's priority. I went with the 3" MBRP Race catback. Good flow, low tone and no rasp but not quiet either. Hard to judge by YouTube videos. Everyone who's heard mine likes it.
I won't go back to stock.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Going to be honest its a crap shoot, I personally feel mine is really good, not buzzy, deep tone but not boomy deep, clean WOT, I am running 3" from the stock down pipe, to a y pipe that goes to 2.5" with a pair of Vibrant Performance bottle resonators (7912) into a pair of Magnaflow street mufflers. It is quiet enough not to be too quiet, sounds good at idle and under cruise speed around town, decent sound at WOT like a more refined Focus ST exhaust note but way cleaner and less raspy.

You will be hard pressed to get it any better. Pulling the stock resonator and going with individual ones helps keep the tone from getting buzzy or raspy, but still gives tons of air flow, and the Magnaflow Street mufflers keep the tone clean. There is about a 25-30 Increase in sound volume, and drone is not an issue.

[ame]
[ame] (Goto 7:43 in this vid)
[ame] (Goto 3:16 in this vid note this is a 3" catless down pipe same exhaust)
[ame] (Goto like 2:00 in the video this is with the stock down pipe. You can hear the volume difference, less back fire cleaner sound than the catless setup above.)

I have heard a bunch of setups at the past two American Muscle car shows, and you are right, there are some just really ricey sounding stuff out there supposed to be great setups, but the thing is due to the design of the internal exhaust runners in the heads you will not get the same sound you can out of like a 2.0 EBM from the ST. etc.

I get a lot of compliments in person for my setup.... and not just from Mustang guys.

With that said, there are only two options, buy and exhaust or do not. Sometimes it is just as good to keep it stock, it does not sound muscle car like in any case, it however will give you less headaches if you just leave it alone.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Don't get an exhaust system. End of story.

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Don't get an exhaust system. End of story.
Thank you for your brilliant comment . Looking for reduced back pressure, plus stock sound sucks.

Sponsored

Rick@LASTREETCARS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lastreetcars.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Procharged and Built
Perhaps an exhaust is not really what you should be looking at. If you are looking at performance versus sound at this point...then don't look at exhaust at all.

Look at blow off valve, intake and intercooler options. Performance upgrades without the sound issues.

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
I have a catted 3" downpipe to 3" in dual 2 1/2" out Pypes Violator muffler in place of the resonator, to a stock Mustang GT resonator back exhaust. It's a little noticeable during cold starts for about 15-20 seconds. At normal warmed up idle it's not any louder than stock with a slightly deeper tone. The turbo whistle is noticeable but overall I find the sound to be very close to stock and inoffensive.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I have heard a few EB's with exhaust just driving around randomly.. I have no idea what their setups were but honestly they all sound absolutely terrible..

I honestly believe the best sound/performance is a muffler delete and a resonator delete if you so choose.

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I have a catted 3" downpipe to 3" in dual 2 1/2" out Pypes Violator muffler in place of the resonator, to a stock Mustang GT resonator back exhaust. It's a little noticeable during cold starts for about 15-20 seconds. At normal warmed up idle it's not any louder than stock with a slightly deeper tone. The turbo whistle is noticeable but overall I find the sound to be very close to stock and inoffensive.
I like your train of thought. That sounds like a low restriction setup I could go almost that exact route. I have my stock 14 GT mufflers rotting in the attic they flow! I ran a 12.8 with them on. I have to dell on that and see what other thoughts members put forth.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
My suggestion from a pure performance standpoint would be getting a 3" downpipe, keeping the rest of the stock exhaust and getting a custom tune.

+1 on an intercooler as well.
Sponsored