Sponsored

Tire time what do you love or hate

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
That's true...someone else steered us that way. Good catch.
I may have been the guilty party in this diversion but the OP asked without being specific on the type of tire he was asking about. 99% of street only cars don't need a summer specific tire and UHP A/S tires work surprisingly well with the added benefit of being somewhat longer lasting. I am quite happy with the General G-max AS-05 in stock PP1 sizing for right at $700 before mounting and balancing. They have a 50,000 mile warranty to boot. I think they are a bargain for what they are.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I may have been the guilty party in this diversion but the OP asked without being specific on the type of tire he was asking about. 99% of street only cars don't need a summer specific tire and UHP A/S tires work surprisingly well with the added benefit of being somewhat longer lasting. I am quite happy with the General G-max AS-05 in stock PP1 sizing for right at $700 before mounting and balancing. They have a 50,000 mile warranty to boot. I think they are a bargain for what they are.
I’m with you 100%. I loved my A/S 3+. Best tire I’ve ever had. For daily street use 99.9% of what a summer tire would be. The AS-05 was also on my list, an excellent tire. For me the small difference in cost lead me to chose the Michelin’s.

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Do you all know that Michelin owns B F Goodrich. Bought them quite a few years ago. I run B F G 's

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Do you all know that Michelin owns B F Goodrich. Bought them quite a few years ago. I run B F G 's
With BFG's mentioned;
Does anyone here like them?
I have a set on my '08 Sky Redline and they are better than the P Zero's on
my '17 GT.
I really need tires to hold better and I have always used BFG's.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Got NT555 G2s on my car, they're nothing special at least for daily driving. I've fishtailed in the rain under low to moderate throttle a few times now which is pretty unsettling given that it wasn't torrential downpours, I have plenty of tread, and they're 275s.

I can spin from a dig and chirp the 1-2 shift and sometimes 2-3 in my V6 so I can't imagine them being much better for a GT.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Nitto NT05’s for the summer got off EBay @ $489 shipped all 4. For winter/cold I use Kuhmo’s which are surprisingly sticky and wear good.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Got NT555 G2s on my car, they're nothing special at least for daily driving. I've fishtailed in the rain under low to moderate throttle a few times now which is pretty unsettling given that it wasn't torrential downpours, I have plenty of tread, and they're 275s.

I can spin from a dig and chirp the 1-2 shift and sometimes 2-3 in my V6 so I can't imagine them being much better for a GT.
They're a below average tire in their class. I don't know why people buy them other than they're cheap, and LMR and AM package wheels with them. It never ceases to amaze me how much people will cheap out on tires...the only thing connected to the road.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
They're a below average tire in their class. I don't know why people buy them other than they're cheap, and LMR and AM package wheels with them. It never ceases to amaze me how much people will cheap out on tires...the only thing connected to the road.
They were reviewed pretty similarly to the Firehawks we had talked about before and lots of local guys swear by them for some reason (probably because they bought them and want to feel good). That and there were great deals when I bought them, but I definitely won't be keeping with these when tire time comes around again.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They were reviewed pretty similarly to the Firehawks we had talked about before and lots of local guys swear by them for some reason (probably because they bought them and want to feel good). That and there were great deals when I bought them, but I definitely won't be keeping with these when tire time comes around again.
The firehawks are definitely a better tire.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Firestone Indy 500s for me.
I pretty sure I'm going to do these next time, good feedback, plus I can get a set in my preferred size: 285/35-20 and 305/35-20, for under $1000 shipped to my door.

I guess I __might__ price them at my local Firestone shop, they're super close, and with a direct buy from an online supplier, I of course have to factor in the whole cost (time, money, etc., lugging tires).

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I pretty sure I'm going to do these next time, good feedback, plus I can get a set in my preferred size: 285/35-20 and 305/35-20, for under $1000 shipped to my door.

I guess I __might__ price them at my local Firestone shop, they're super close, and with a direct buy from an online supplier, I of course have to factor in the whole cost (time, money, etc., lugging tires).
I just priced the same setup in 19s at the local Firestone. They were IIRC $10-$15 more than tirerack per tire.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Get them to price match...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Is that mounted and balanced or do they charge for that whether you get them from them or not

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, because if you get tires M&B'ed at a shop where you didn't buy tires, they generally charge you more. i.e., if it's $1000 mail order for tires, and $200 to mount, a one stop shop might charge $1100 for tires, but only $100 to mount, and then you've reduced the effort, and have better recourse if, say, a tire is out of round.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, because if you get tires M&B'ed at a shop where you didn't buy tires, they generally charge you more. i.e., if it's $1000 mail order for tires, and $200 to mount, a one stop shop might charge $1100 for tires, but only $100 to mount, and then you've reduced the effort, and have better recourse if, say, a tire is out of round.
Oh yeah, so I did an online quote at Firestone Complete Autocare for Firehawk 500s, 305/35-20 and 285/35-20, out the door pricing was ~$1100 (I did two separate quotes, wouldn't let me combine sizes). Anyway, so if I'm looking at tires delivered for $950, that's about $150 for the mount, balance, all the bullshit disposal fees, about $38/tire, that's not bad. Plus no lugging tires up in a different car, no dealing with your own return if a tire is defective - yeah, I think when it's time I'll pop in, get a quote, see if it's the same or better and just let them handle everything.
Sponsored