Sponsored

Tire questions

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I just picked up my second set of wheels that i will be using for track days with the car. I have decided to go with the PSS's on the track wheels as well (or maybe the new ones when they come out), while i know some may look down on this decision because the performance with the PSC2's are much better for pure track use, for me the limiting factor is my abilities, not my car or my tires and while i'm learning the car i prefer to have a tire that will last a bit longer, be a bit cheaper and also can function as a spare (in a pinch) if needed with my existing setup.

The question i had is the following. I prefer the visual look of the wider tire (315 or 325 rear and 305's in front). For the track, does it make more sense though to stick with the factory widths (305/295) to keep the handling dynamics (oversteer/understeer) of the car in line with the way it was designed and just save the wider wheels for street driving/appearance?
Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
1st, I agree with your sound logic and reasoning. In time I'd like to do the same (track tires&wheels set up along with a street setup)

2nd, I've only raced karts and haven't tracked a car yet so take my response with a grain of salt. I would imagine you would want to retain the handling dynamics so keep the front width proportionate to the rear width. In my mind, if you go super wide on the rears and stock on the fronts it'll probably push like a dumptruck at the track. Maybe some to the guys with a good amount of track time can chime in with their opinions.

My thought was to track the stock rubber and wheels and gain track experience. Once I've gained some track experience, pick up a set of forgeline's with PSC2 for track and leave the stock setup for the street.

In any event, I think it's smart of you to realize if you don't have a lot of experience on the track you probably won't need softer tires out of the gate. I'm essentially following the same path you are.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I just picked up my second set of wheels that i will be using for track days with the car. I have decided to go with the PSS's on the track wheels as well (or maybe the new ones when they come out), while i know some may look down on this decision because the performance with the PSC2's are much better for pure track use, for me the limiting factor is my abilities, not my car or my tires and while i'm learning the car i prefer to have a tire that will last a bit longer, be a bit cheaper and also can function as a spare (in a pinch) if needed with my existing setup.

The question i had is the following. I prefer the visual look of the wider tire (315 or 325 rear and 305's in front). For the track, does it make more sense though to stick with the factory widths (305/295) to keep the handling dynamics (oversteer/understeer) of the car in line with the way it was designed and just save the wider wheels for street driving/appearance?
I am of the same mindset. I will need tires this spring and hopefully will be going with the new PSS's for the same reason you mentioned. When I do have a track only set of wheels I will also go with the same sizes unless I purchase R spec's wheels which I will then match the R's sizes. Skill/practice is what will give you the biggest gains on the track. Once I have consistency at my local track (Barber MSP) I will then start looking at other things to help with lap times.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Stock wheel width, then stick with the stock PSS widths, which are bespoke for the car anyway. Also hit up the free Ford racing school in Utah. You'll be blown away how much grip and how capable the stock car is.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

I was thinking for a square setup maybe 305 all around. The stock PSS are expensive unless they last longer then track tires I will probably pick up a track set personally.

Ive read a good track tire will last about 6 days depending on driving style im not sure how long the stock PSS will last.

If the PSS would last longer I might consider them just from a bang for buck point of view.

I dont know how to get track wheels to the track im not sure I could get 4 wheels in the mustang.

The PSC2 are not in my budget lol

Sponsored

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
I think you should reconsider the pss, they are a great street tire, on the track they got very slippery and wore down very quickly. You should look into other options, ie. re11 as one choice, budget friendly and will outlast the pss on the track, probably outperform them too.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've tracked and raced on many different tires, and I've tracked the GT350 on the PSS on short, tight tracks and more open power tracks. They're solid on track and will be perfectly fine for starting basic track days. They will not limit your learning curve.

The PSS--and other high performance, non-competition tires--will not have the ultimate grip and cornering abilities of higher capability tires, but they're pretty damn good for what they are. And, they will give you a bit more wet condition traction than other tires.

Make sure you start your cold pressures appropriately, and be prepared for them to start getting a bit greasy about 15-20 minutes into hard running. And you can expect them to heat cycle out somewhere around 6 full track days, give or take. I have 4 hard track days on my OE tires and they're still good.

Yes, they're expensive and there are more price competitive options, particularly if you can work with other sizes. But, if your preference is to stick with a full OE setup as you develop your track skills, the PSS will serve you very well. This isn't to say that you should go with another set of PSS or that they're "best", but they will work very well for what you will need them to do.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I just purchased 6gr wheels in R spec and soft R compound tires to go with them. I would not get pss tires if I could help it. They are more of a compromise between street and track.

If the end goal is better economy and wear, then I understand that perspective. However it is a performance comprimise.

Good luck.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
One other factor to consider is if you'll be driving your track tires to/from the track. If yes, my comments on the PSS still stand. Yes, they're a compromise tire for tack work, but a reasonable one at this stage for you. If you won't be street driving your track tires, then a more track-oriented option makes sense. BUT, stay away from slicks or near-slicks for now. They will bite you hard if you're not ready for their handling characteristics.

I haven't checked on size availability for the GT350 ranges, but my personal favorite street-based tire for track work is the Dunlop Direzza (used to also have the name Star Spec). Phenomenal tire in the dry and cooler temps. Very close to the BFG R1, which is a DOT competition tire. It has good heat cycle longevity and stays consistent throughout long track sessions. The Bridgestone RE-71 is also a good street-based tire choice.

OP
OP
dron_jones

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other factor to consider is if you'll be driving your track tires to/from the track. If yes, my comments on the PSS still stand. Yes, they're a compromise tire for tack work, but a reasonable one at this stage for you. If you won't be street driving your track tires, then a more track-oriented option makes sense. BUT, stay away from slicks or near-slicks for now. They will bite you hard if you're not ready for their handling characteristics.

I haven't checked on size availability for the GT350 ranges, but my personal favorite street-based tire for track work is the Dunlop Direzza (used to also have the name Star Spec). Phenomenal tire in the dry and cooler temps. Very close to the BFG R1, which is a DOT competition tire. It has good heat cycle longevity and stays consistent throughout long track sessions. The Bridgestone RE-71 is also a good street-based tire choice.
That's a good point, at the moment i don't have a truck and car hauler so i would be driving to the track. Sometimes i might be able to have someone else in another car bring the second set of wheels but I'm guessing most of the time i will be on my own to transport them.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful input. I appreciate it.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
PSC2 limits are so insanely high, you need a pro driver to exploit them or someone with serious experience. Nothing wrong with going with PSS's again. Great tire.

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
PSC2 limits are so insanely high, you need a pro driver to exploit them or someone with serious experience. Nothing wrong with going with PSS's again. Great tire.
If I could only have 1 set it would be the pss, OP is looking at a second set for track that he can still drive to the track with, in his case I believe there are better options than pss

OP
OP
dron_jones

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guy, i know there is more than one way to skin a cat and i have no doubt that the PSC2'r or another brands equivalent would be more capable on the track, but really my question is around if i should keep factory widths, or how much it will screw up the driving dynamic to go with the wider tires out back

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I wouldn't stagger it any more than it is from the factory, either stick to 295/305 or match the R at 305/315, or do what a lot of track guys do and run 305 all around. Going wider out back really doesnt do much for you and will just make the car push more.

Also I see no issue with the PSS if you are still a novice. Its actually better to start learning on a more forgiving tire. And if you are a novice the chances of you over-heating them and getting them greasy is pretty slim

OP
OP
dron_jones

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't stagger it any more than it is from the factory, either stick to 295/305 or match the R at 305/315, or do what a lot of track guys do and run 305 all around. Going wider out back really doesnt do much for you and will just make the car push more.

Also I see no issue with the PSS if you are still a novice. Its actually better to start learning on a more forgiving tire. And if you are a novice the chances of you over-heating them and getting them greasy is pretty slim
Thank you. Do the guys run the square setup for performance or so they can roatate tires to balance the wear?
Sponsored