Sponsored

Tire question for anyone driving their car in colder weather.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Driving a GT500 in the cold and driving a Mustang GT in the cold are two very different things. Not trying to be a snob but different demographic. GT500 owners typically don't daily drive their rides and are super anal about every detail about the tires. If a GT500 owner were to drive consistently in the cold they'd likely at least have performance 3 season tires on. Throw a large positive displacement blower on a V8 and that low end torque curve isn't amenable to driving on rock hard tires in the winter. For GT owners who are more likely to daily drive their rides just don't be stupid about it and watch out for tire cracking.
To be clear I only offered my real world experience in a quite similar vehicle under very difficult conditions otherwise wouldn't have tried to contribute. As others have said, it's not like the gas pedal is an on/off switch. Great tires and experience are your greatest weapons when the going gets tough.
Sponsored

93 347 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 SVT Mustangs (all sold)
To be clear I only offered my real world experience in a quite similar vehicle under very difficult conditions otherwise wouldn't have tried to contribute. As others have said, it's not like the gas pedal is an on/off switch. Great tires and experience are your greatest weapons when the going gets tough.
Wasn't aimed at you. Your post was a valid contribution.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I have a question for any of you that use winter tires. Do you continue to use these tires during July & August? I'm guessing the answer will be no. I'm also guessing the reason is because they are not designed to be used in warm temperatures and, as such, will not give maximum performance.

So why then would anyone use summer tires in the winter? Now, of course, you can. But we know that the tires can be damaged by extreme cold. And this damage could lead to a failure and subsequent accident. So why do it. I'm sorry, but simple common sense should tell anyone with a 1/10 of a brain that this is not a good idea. Why but put yourself and others at risk? Are we really that f-ckin' stupid?

That, by the way, it a rhetorical question. :giggle:
Snow tires like 'Blizzak' are the opposite of summer tires, do not drive them above 40*F as the compound becomes very soft and cornering/braking will suffer greatly. They also take on the characteristics of an all-season tire after they wear past the halfway point of tread life. When new they are amazing! (sound familiar?)

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Then you have no excuse for making a nonsensical statement like you can wreck a Corolla just as easily. You can't. And it's because of that whole principal called "throttle induced oversteer". The average person would have to really try to wreck a Corolla whereas the average person could wreck a GT500 fairly easily without meaning to. Which is why we all don't toss out the keys to our rides freely.
No excuse needed since itā€™s your absolute lack of comprehending my point that is the issue. This topic is about tires, not the car and my comparison was intended as such which you were unable to grasp that simple concept. But by all means, keep arguing against it if it makes you feel better, you seem to be enjoying being hard headed and argumentative.

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2017 mustang v6, 2008 mustang gt
Yes it is a 2020 mustang gt track pack premium car for your info.

Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Snow tires are not really necessary in southern TN/northern AL, so the people I know who drive their sports cars year round either drive on the same wheels/tires all year or swap out all seasons in the fall. If I ever get around to buying aftermarket wheels, I will probably install all seasons on the stock wheels for winter use. Until then, I will continue to drive on my Pilot Super Sports all year.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Oh. You seem to have the wrong forum.
I don't think this topic is really limited to any particular trim line.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
I don't think this topic is really limited to any particular trim line.
Sorry. I just donā€™t find the GT race car driver information relevant.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
It just surprises me when people act like badasses on internet forums. We're all Mustang driver's here. Not sure why some people need to be so antagonistic all the time. The rest of the world already thinks we're idiots. Let's not prove them right.

Sponsored

93 347 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 SVT Mustangs (all sold)
No excuse needed since itā€™s your absolute lack of comprehending my point that is the issue. This topic is about tires, not the car and my comparison was intended as such which you were unable to grasp that simple concept. But by all means, keep arguing against it if it makes you feel better, you seem to be enjoying being hard headed and argumentative.
Your statement was dumb oversimplified hyperbole and dead wrong. But please continue chiming in with cold weather driving tips from frigid Florida...

Last edited:

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
I hope they close this thread soon. Very soon.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Your statement was dumb oversimplified hyperbole and dead wrong. But please continue chiming in with cold weather driving tips from frigid Florida...
Ah the old ā€œI donā€™t know anything about you so Iā€™m going to assume things about you and use them in my argumentā€? LOL welcome to 5th grade.
Grew up in Montana and North Dakota and didnā€™t leave the northwest until I was 21 and then went back a few years later. Youā€™re doing great champ, keep going! I mean, since I didnt provide any tips and your ego is so fragile you canā€™t accept your opinion doesnā€™t equal fact, so Tah tah, you bore me.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Snow tires are not really necessary in southern TN/northern AL, so the people I know who drive their sports cars year round either drive on the same wheels/tires all year or swap out all seasons in the fall. If I ever get around to buying aftermarket wheels, I will probably install all seasons on the stock wheels for winter use. Until then, I will continue to drive on my Pilot Super Sports all year.
Exactly my plan.
Sponsored