Sponsored

Tire question for anyone driving their car in colder weather.

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2017 mustang v6, 2008 mustang gt
Ohh my did I hurt your feelings. I will drive like I want when I want. Apparently you don’t need a mustang if cold weather is a challenge to you. Better go buy u a Prius.
Sponsored

93 347 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 SVT Mustangs (all sold)
Ohh my did I hurt your feelings. I will drive like I want when I want. Apparently you don’t need a mustang if cold weather is a challenge to you. Better go buy u a Prius.
What you did was absolutely stupid. Did you not hear about or read the warning about the tire compound not being viable below 20 degrees or on snow or ice? Are you an absolute newb? This has been an issue on GT500s since 13-14. There are threads on this all over the web.

Maybe the mods should give you 30-days to think about your bad attitude...

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have Michelin 4s. The back tires are on the last 3rd of the tread. The fronts are new.

As soon as the temps get into the 50s the backs get real slippery,Front are solid. With traction control they are all fine down into the 30s..

That's in Houston, Colder than that, I am assuming All seasons would be in order.

Last edited:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I admire your dedication to not only being an a-hole but also a dangerous a-hole.
Is there a class we can sign up for to be cool like you?

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I just saw a white500 driving today…..its 2y and ice rain….tf is wrong with him

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I can’t believe you would get so upset over me driving summer tires in the winter. If it bothers you that bad buy me some tires. I will surely let you do that because I’m not gonna waste my money on tires. When mine drive just fine. Want me to make a video of me driving my car in the cold. To prove my point. That these tires are fine when it’s cold outside. I do t have money running out my ass like you do to buy tires whenever I feel like it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Driving a '20 Mustang GT in spirited fashion in 16* weather with a Michelin 4S isn't the best idea. If this is your daily I highly suggest finding a more appropriate tire.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I can’t believe you would get so upset over me driving summer tires in the winter. If it bothers you that bad buy me some tires. I will surely let you do that because I’m not gonna waste my money on tires. When mine drive just fine. Want me to make a video of me driving my car in the cold. To prove my point. That these tires are fine when it’s cold outside. I do t have money running out my ass like you do to buy tires whenever I feel like it.
I can also baste myself in pigs blood, swim in alligator infested waters, and survive…but that doesn’t make me smart or cool doing it. The sad fact is your ego is so fragile you refuse to accept anything other than your misguided opinion.
If you have enough money to purchase a 2020 GT but can’t afford proper tires then the problem isn’t your lack of funds, it’s your lack of responsible choices.
But by all means, keep responding with how cool you are. I feel like getting some 🍿. Nobody is upset with your poor choices, but perhaps concerned how your ego could cost someone else their property or lives so you can act like you have the biggest ding dong in the thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Definitely don’t drive on those stock tires.
mid just bite the bullet and order another set of replica wheels with snow tires or put snow tires on the stock wheels. You’ll probably be able to order another set of stock wheels in the spring for a reasonable amount. If moneys tight in the tire budget, sell those 18s and put those snow tires on one of those temporary store credit cards at Discount Tire and pay it off once the 18s sell.Much less than selling the car over the tires and still having the 18s to sell.
I assume those 1320s are relatively rare?
Good luck.
-J
That's basically what I did already. Like I said, I had purchased an 18" winter set from another scat pack owner before the car arrived. But the wheels didn't fit over the front brakes because I didn't realize they changed the design this year and made them a little bigger. I even tried some 1.5" spacers and no dice. So I ordered me some 50th replicas with DWS tires. Now it is decent in most conditions, but still have to be leary of ice or if we get more than a few inches of snow before the plow goes through. I had somebody interested in the other wheels, but I may end up keeping them as I could always put the better snow tires on the rear in a pinch if we got hammered by a big storm. I put the new wheels and tires on the direct tire credit card I just got. It shouldn't be too bad as long as I pay them off within a year with no interest. There are other reasons I'm considering selling the car too, but probably not a good idea at this point with all the money I've put into it already. I haven't even driven the car close to its potential yet either. Think I'll at least keep it into Spring and see how it does and how I like it by then.

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I must have a special set of rear tires. I can’t tell any difference between winter and summer driving with these tires. But of course I’m a race car driver. I’ve probably owned more mustang than most people on here. But I don’t know what I’m doing according to tire gods on here. Guess I will break out the GoPro. And show you people how a mustang was meant to be driven. Better yet I might just start my own driving school.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have driven V6 and GT Mustangs year round, but I wouldn't recommend it with a GT500. I did drive my GT350 occasionally in the cold and sometimes in the snow, and it handled weather just fine. I used my Pilot SS tires down in the 20s and they were fine as long as I was sensible with the throttle. Of course if I was told the tire's can't be used below 40 I wouldn't use them in the cold. At the time I didn't have any information that said 20F was a problem for the Pilot SS tires.

But the nice thing about the GT350 is if you keep the revs down it doesn't have a lot of torque. And it has very tall gears, which also keeps wheel torque down. The GT500 with 7 speeds has a lot of engine and wheel torque. And heavier cars are not as good in slippery conditions.

I do expect that snow/weather mode is good in the GT500, but with a DCT you don't have quite as good control over how much power is applied to the wheels compared to a manual. You also don't have an easy power disconnect device (clutch) that you can step on. Engine braking can break the tires loose under no throttle just like heavy throttle can break the tires loose.

Sure you can drive a GT500 year round no problem, but I wouldn't, especially with something so valuable and a little less suited for it. I'd buy a second car for slippery conditions. I have a Fiesta ST, but if you're a baller buy a Cayman or something similar. I think a Porsche would be the perfect sporty car for low traction winter driving if you have money to burn. From what I understand they are great handling cars at the limits. And winter gives the only opportunity to explore those limits without going to the track.

You can get by with all season tires, but I don't like them. I prefer snow tires because you will get better grip if you hit a patch of ice or something. But then I also hate to slow down when it's snowy and icy. If you're a really patient and careful driver you can certainly get by with all seasons. My philosophy is I'm paying for a sporty car and I want as much traction as I can get at all times.

Edit: I also wouldn't recommend weight in the trunk. It can shift around and damage things. I learned that lesson back in my Fox body days.

Last edited:

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Not a GT500 but had my 5.0 out this morning, 27* and moderate rain! That's not a wet road, it's ice! Blizzaks and thoughtful driving makes it doable. p.s. was out getting breakfast lol

tempImageBvq8ir.jpg

93 347 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 SVT Mustangs (all sold)
Driving a GT500 in the cold and driving a Mustang GT in the cold are two very different things. Not trying to be a snob but different demographic. GT500 owners typically don't daily drive their rides and are super anal about every detail about the tires. If a GT500 owner were to drive consistently in the cold they'd likely at least have performance 3 season tires on. Throw a large positive displacement blower on a V8 and that low end torque curve isn't amenable to driving on rock hard tires in the winter. For GT owners who are more likely to daily drive their rides just don't be stupid about it and watch out for tire cracking.
Sponsored