Sponsored

Tire question for anyone driving their car in colder weather.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Not apples to apples but I would routinely drive my GT350 on Cup2's in cold weather high 30s - low 50s without any issues (only nice days no snow or ice), I wasn't hammering the car but slightly spirited drives. Never once did the car loose grip without me expecting it. I would think that the 500 would be similar, maybe drive the car in "Weather" mode and don't be an idiot.
Sponsored

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
No worries you will be alright screw tire recommendations šŸ¤Ŗ
BBF26669-C5AA-4485-91FE-09355F267C71.jpeg

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
No worries you will be alright screw tire recommendations šŸ¤Ŗ
BBF26669-C5AA-4485-91FE-09355F267C71.jpeg
This photo looks like another result of a Deer specifically targeting a Mustang, while the owner was just riding obeying the speed limits. :)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Never once did the car loose grip without me expecting it. I would think that the 500 would be similar...
The 500 is worse. You won't just loose grip but rather you will LOSE grip. If you are on Cup2's and the temps are below 40Ā°, do yourself and others on the road a favor, stay off it.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Providing roads are dry and clear, I would like to drive my car on the sunny blue bird days this winter. Temps ranging 20-40's.

Does anyone here drive or plan to drive their car in colder weather? Are you throwing an all season on? Or just driving with some sense and running stock tires?

I always swap my summer tires for winter tires on my DD and usually park my "seasonal" car come this time of year. But this car is so amazing, I dont know if I can stomach just looking at her for the next 4 months. Esp on those sunny beautiful days where the temps aren't ideal.
I'm just like you, I need to enjoy my Mustang in the Winter too.
On my 15GT I bought a separate set of winter tires and wheels and used them for 5 seasons.
I didn't like how noisy and squishy they were. Took alot of fun out of the car.
This time on the Mach 1 I bought a set of RTR Tech 7's with Continental DWS 06 sport all seasons 19" 275's all the way around. They are great!
I was out rippin around last night in the 30's and the car is just as fun as it was with the PS4S's.

Mach.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Where do you live?
Iā€™m in Toledo area and drove a Hellcat Charger for 3 winters 2017-2020. I used V-rated Yokohama quality snow tires and loved them.
My opinion is forget the all seasons. Just run a quality R-compound tire in summer and a high performance snow tire in winter. (The Hellcat went from drag radials to snow tires and back every year)
Good luck!
-J
I'm in northern WV.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
The 40 degree temp listed in the ownerā€™s manual is not in reference to tire damage (cracking). It is a number Ford listed for grip, but itā€™s not like you lose all grip at the magical number of 40 degrees. Michelin lists 20 degrees as the threshold for damage (cracking).

It was 35 degrees the first time I took my CFTP to the track. I was actually surprised at how much grip I had after a couple laps of heating the tires. Of course you cannot run full-tilt boogie when itā€™s that cold, but you can have good fun with a little throttle control and judgement applied. I drive my car below 40 degrees. I will not drive my car anywhere close to 20 degrees.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It was 35 degrees the first time I took my CFTP to the track. I was actually surprised at how much grip I had after a couple laps of heating the tires. Of course you cannot run full-tilt boogie when itā€™s that cold, but you can have good fun with a little throttle control and judgement applied.
Some UHP A/S tires would lap you.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Providing roads are dry and clear, I would like to drive my car on the sunny blue bird days this winter. Temps ranging 20-40's.

Does anyone here drive or plan to drive their car in colder weather? Are you throwing an all season on? Or just driving with some sense and running stock tires?

I always swap my summer tires for winter tires on my DD and usually park my "seasonal" car come this time of year. But this car is so amazing, I dont know if I can stomach just looking at her for the next 4 months. Esp on those sunny beautiful days where the temps aren't ideal.
I don't blame you, I couldn't park my ZL1 all winter either. I drive it on sunny cold days as long as it's above freezing.

I've had several years' experience now with summer performance tires and cold weather (not midwestern bitter cold, but below freezing morning temps). The tires won't crack if you drive them at above freezing temps. I think the cracking is a concern more so below freezing temps.

In my Mustang, which had PS4S with the PP1 package, they were downright awful in temps. below 45 F the first few miles of driving, and beyond terrible at near freezing temps. I wouldn't drive on them at all if it was below 30 F. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which were pretty good in warm weather, and much, much better in the cold.

My ZL1 has the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3, and they are bad in cold weather, but not as bad as the PS4S on my Mustang. I don't drive the ZL1 with the summer tires if it's below freezing. A couple weeks ago I drove some very twisty mountain roads; it started 47 F at the base, and decreased to 37 F at the top. Because the tires were warm from driving, I had plenty of grip even when the air temp. was 37 F. It's really about the tire temp., not necessarily air temp.

That said, I plan to replace the OEM Goodyear tires with a set of Michelin pilot sport A/S 4 when the OEM tires wear out. It's below 45 here in the mornings for probably 7-8 months out of the year. The traction I'll gain during those cold months (turns, braking, and acceleration) outweighs the extra ~0.1 G gained during the summer on the Goodyears.

You also gotta remember if its 32 F outside, but your garage is 45 F all night, then your tires start out 45 F in the morning. They warm up more once the car is rolling. But if you drive it 15 minutes then park it for an hour or two, the tires will cool off to match the ambient temps. So, watch for that situation. Then they'll be really cold and dangerous.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 40 degree temp listed in the ownerā€™s manual is not in reference to tire damage (cracking). It is a number Ford listed for grip, but itā€™s not like you lose all grip at the magical number of 40 degrees. Michelin lists 20 degrees as the threshold for damage (cracking).
Both Michelin and Ford leave room for interpretation, at times, in this regard. For legal reasons I can see why they worded this carefully and somewhat inadequately.

Ford is careful to not be specific other than to simply say they do not recommend using the tires we speak of in snow or ice or if temperatures fall below 45*. They do not specifically speak in terms of available grip as being a condition one way or the other. From the '21 GT500 Supplement...

2333.JPG

233.JPG

And Michelin doesn't draw the line at 20* (which would in essence mean that 21* and up is fine - it is not).

Image_2021-03-15_10-35-51lk.png

Michelin directs you to not move a vehicle on which the tires are installed until temperatures reach 40*. Cracks potentially at 20* or less but it is clear they don't want you using them until the temperatures are double that.

Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Some UHP A/S tires would lap you.
That track is 2.7 miles. No one out there ā€œlapped me.ā€ The SC2s did a great jobā€¦ much better than I expected.
Both Michelin and Ford leave room for interpretation, at times, in this regard. For legal reasons I can see why they worded this carefully and somewhat inadequately.

Ford is careful to not be specific other than to simply say they do not recommend using the tires we speak of in snow or ice or if temperatures fall below 45*. They do not specifically speak in terms of available grip as being a condition one way or the other. From the '21 GT500 Supplement...

2333.JPG

233.JPG

And Michelin doesn't draw the line at 20* (which would in essence mean that 21* and up is fine - it is not).

Image_2021-03-15_10-35-51lk.png

Michelin directs you to not move a vehicle on which the tires are installed until temperatures reach 40*. Cracks potentially at 20* or less but it is clear they don't want you using them until the temperatures are double that.
If the tires are exposed to temps below 20, Michelin advises to not move the vehicle until they temps are back over 40. I have driven with temps in the 30s with no issues whatsoever other than traction is reduced. I witnessed my buddy in a CFTP spin out and go 4-wheelā€™n when we were out driving last winter. When the temps drop, you have to be judicious with the throttleā€¦ especially when the steering wheel is deflected.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the tires are exposed to temps below 20, Michelin advises to not move the vehicle until they temps are back over 40. I have driven with temps in the 30s...
Yes, that's what I posted.

Look, there are many that haven't followed Ford or Michelin's recommendations with respect to operating when temperatures are too cold. I'd encourage everyone to stay safe and to think strongly about why these types of tires don't mix well with low ambient temperatures. It isn't just you at risk but other people on the road as well.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It's funny people on this board are against A/S tires because they are not safe yet others advocate driving on summer tires when it is too cold. SMH

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Yes, that's what I posted.

Look, there are many that haven't followed Ford or Michelin's recommendations with respect to operating when temperatures are too cold. I'd encourage everyone to stay safe and to think strongly about why these types of tires don't mix well with low ambient temperatures. It isn't just you at risk but other people on the road as well.
My responses regarding the cold Feb track event were to showcase my ignorance on the subject, and how lucky we were to not have damaged something.
Now that I have SC-2ā€™s installed, I will be much more mindful of temps. Might also make a comment to event organizers to advise people to be careful in cold temps for the safety of all participants.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It's funny people on this board are against A/S tires because they are not safe yet others advocate driving on summer tires when it is too cold. SMH
If that was directed at me, I donā€™t ā€œadvocateā€ for driving on summer tires when itā€™s cold. Iā€™m saying I have done it on the street as well as the track. You just have to adjust accordingly. Where you live plays a big part as well. I am in TX, not NY or any other cold northern state. I drive my car year-round, but itā€™s just a fun car. If itā€™s really cold/wet/etc., my Mustangs stay in the garage until the next day. All season or snow tires are not needed where I live.
Sponsored