Sponsored

Tire question for anyone driving their car in colder weather.

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I've been driving my Mustangs daily year round since 1970 in northern Ohio snow belt. On my '69 I actually ran bias ply winter performance tires, (not full rated snow tires), during winter. On my previous '03 and my current "18 I run summer and winter tire/wheel sets. Depending on where on lives determines whether you should run winter tires vs all season. I never run my summer tires below 40-45 F, they tend to get very hard and feel like driving on ice even on dry pavement. These cars drive fine in winter if you consider the climate.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Back in my miss spent youth I went one winter on non DOT approved drag slicks in Eau Claire Wi. 1970 road runner 440 4 speed.

It was great fun sliding sideways on every turn. Some stop lights were no fun taking off.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
I often think the argument about "Why shouldn't I run my summer tires in the North Dakota winter?" is the same argument as "Why shouldn't I run regular in my Mustang?"

But in the end, it is YOUR Mustang. You do you.

fb1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang coupe GT/auto PP1
I also agree with you! A smashed car is very difficult to look at. I knew the compound of the 4S would get hard under 40 but didn't know about the cracking! That worries me about it even sitting in my garage. It's not heated and gets quite cold in the winter months. While the garage may not get below 40 air temp, the concrete floor can def get below 40 during our coldest winter months.
I've stored mine in unheated garage in New England for two winters and no cracking. However Did not move the car until temps were north of 40 degrees

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Had our first snow of the valley floor here in SLC this morning.

Up on the bench, where I live, we had three inches, so not bad. Coming down the hill I used Snow/Wet mode for the first time, went slow and the Continental DWS 06 Plus did their job. Not as confidentially as the Blizzaks on my wife's RAV4, but infinitely better than I would have expected the Pirelli Corsa 4s to act.

So now I have an all season Mustang. I wouldn't blast up to Snowbird in it or cross Wyoming in a blizzard, but it will do the job around town.

Sponsored

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I had Michelin All Season 4 tires installed by Costco with a great discount and 5 yr road hazard warranty last week. Two things:
1. The all seasons are a bit squishier for sure but I am completely comfortable with the trade off in favor of much better grip in sub 40 degree temperatures. The car feels so much more confident on these cold roads here in Jersey.
2. Costco added green valve covers, I think because the new tires are filled with nitrogen. Very nice addition on the Bullitt!

Last edited:

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Had our first snow of the valley floor here in SLC this morning.

Up on the bench, where I live, we had three inches, so not bad. Coming down the hill I used Snow/Wet mode for the first time, went slow and the Continental DWS 06 Plus did their job. Not as confidentially as the Blizzaks on my wife's RAV4, but infinitely better than I would have expected the Pirelli Corsa 4s to act.

So now I have an all season Mustang. I wouldn't blast up to Snowbird in it or cross Wyoming in a blizzard, but it will do the job around town.
This is good to know as it will be my first winter using the DWS's
Thanks

Iconic2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mustang GT, 2007 F-150, 2017 MKZ, 2021 CFTP
I don't know if I could stomach staring at a smashed up GT500 for the next four months. Yes, there will always be that guy, and I'm sure he will chime in shortly about the exploits of winter driving without issue in their high powered Mustang. Just be aware, the factory Michelins aren't a cold weather performance tire. They, in either a 4S or especially Cup2, literally turn into hockey pucks and have the propensity to crack below ~40*.
Epiphany, I took my carbon fiber wheels and Cup2's off and installed Shelby Americans forged wheels and PS4S for the winter. I was thinking that the PS4S would be ok for temps down to 30 F. (or so). I'll definitely keep an eye on the 4S for anything unusual. Wish I'd read this thread before buying tires. I bought the aftermarket wheels to reduce the number of times changing tires on Carbon Revolution wheels. Thanks for your input.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
First snow and ice storm in my DWS I just had installed Friday on my Scat Pack. I made it thru, but a little schetchy at times. I guess that is to be expected with ice. I dont mind a little plain snow at times, but ice and teen temps suck. I kind of wish I got a beater now for the 2.2k I spent on the wheels and tires.

JnBama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Now I'm concerned with 2017 GT bought last week , dealer had previously installed new Continental Plus Sports Summer tires . It been warm weather but temps dropping upper 20's now sleet and snowing . Car is now my daily driver and usually at work by 6 am . I can't afford to switch to All Season

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Now I'm concerned with 2017 GT bought last week , dealer had previously installed new Continental Plus Sports Summer tires . It been warm weather but temps dropping upper 20's now sleet and snowing . Car is now my daily driver and usually at work by 6 am . I can't afford to switch to All Season
You probably cannot afford to die either. Two choices. 1. Get A/S or winter tires. 2. Take your chances knowing the odds of you destroying your car is inevitable.

Or you could just talk to the dealer and beg him to switch you out.

JnBama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You probably cannot afford to die either. Two choices. 1. Get A/S or winter tires. 2. Take your chances knowing the odds of you destroying your car is inevitable.

Or you could just talk to the dealer and beg him to switch you out.
Yes your right might as well get another set , will check with the dealer but doubt they will do anything, Woody Anderson Ford is sponsor of my Mustang Club

JnBama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes your right might as well get another set , will check with the dealer but doubt they will do anything, Woody Anderson Ford is sponsor of my Mustang Club
Silly me was finally able to get a good look at the tread and I do have All Season so I'm good to go

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2017 mustang v6, 2008 mustang gt
Drove my 2020 mustang gt in 16 degree weather last night. No precipitation on my Michelin 4s and I could not tell a bit of difference even with spirited driving.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Drove my 2020 mustang gt in 16 degree weather last night. No precipitation on my Michelin 4s and I could not tell a bit of difference even with spirited driving.
I think you need to define spirited. Even the track rats would agree what you did was plain stupid. 4S's can be seriously damaged in below freezing temps and cause an accident. Even if you do not care about yourself what about other folks on the road.

Please do all of us a favor and do not come on here telling us about doing something that is just dangerous.
Sponsored