Sponsored

Tire question for anyone driving their car in colder weather.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
My responses regarding the cold Feb track event were to showcase my ignorance on the subject, and how lucky we were to not have damaged something.
Now that I have SC-2’s installed, I will be much more mindful of temps. Might also make a comment to event organizers to advise people to be careful in cold temps for the safety of all participants.
Great post.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Not directed at anyone, just a general observation.
A/S tires to me have very limited use. For performance driving in a year around performance car I prefer 2 sets of rubber.
My wife gets all seasons.
-J

Deleted member 56911

The idea is.....don't move the car when ambient is that cold. I have always stored my cars in an unheated garage that can get quite cold in. Just park it and don't move it until you see temps at or above what Michelin recommends and you'll be fine.
Do you worry flat spots on your tires?

the_rage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hey everyone, just bought a 2018 GT350 yesterday and jumped on this forum to ask about this exact topic. Sounds like winters is the way to go. A few questions:
1) What extra set of rims (for the winter tires) did you get? I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg.
2) What winter tires did you get?
3) For those saying just leave the car sitting all winter, I'm no expert but isn't that bad for the car? Don't you need to start it up and move it a bit once in a while?

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Continental DWS 06 sport all seasons 19" 275's all the way around. They are great!
I was out rippin around last night in the 30's and the car is just as fun as it was with the PS4S's.
I concur with the gentleman from Chicago. I have the exact same size Continentals on my HPP and have been very impressed in the rain and cold. No snow yet.

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2017 mustang v6, 2008 mustang gt
I drive with my pilot 4s in 10
To 20 degrees weather can’t tell a bit of difference in traction. Car drives good. I drive a 2020 mustang gt. I’m not in that hype of changing to all season tires during the winter. If the weather is snowing I won’t drive the car. But dry I will drive it in any temperature.

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My wife daily drives our Mustang GT so summer tires are on car spring to fall and a set of Khumo PA-51 UHP all seasons in the winter

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
To 20 degrees weather can’t tell a bit of difference in traction. Car drives good. I drive a 2020 mustang gt. I’m not in that hype of changing to all season tires during the winter. If the weather is snowing I won’t drive the car. But dry I will drive it in any temperature.
I strongly disagree with your analysis of this summer tire in 10 degree weather.
They are as hard as rocks, then throw in the leftover salt on the streets this time of season or any moisture. No Bueno man!
I did that back in my 20’s when I was young and dumb… lol

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trust me as a guy that has driven many Mustangs and fast cars in winter you do it want a summer tire on when tires drop under 40deg. Unless that 4s is a 4s A/S you’re one memory lapse away from a puckering experience.
-J

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I strongly disagree with your analysis of this summer tire in 10 degree weather.
They are as hard as rocks, then throw in the leftover salt on the streets this time of season or any moisture. No Bueno man!
I did that back in my 20’s when I was young and dumb… lol
Typing together. I concur :)
-J

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Where do you live?
I’m in Toledo area and drove a Hellcat Charger for 3 winters 2017-2020. I used V-rated Yokohama quality snow tires and loved them.
My opinion is forget the all seasons. Just run a quality R-compound tire in summer and a high performance snow tire in winter. (The Hellcat went from drag radials to snow tires and back every year)
Good luck!
-J
I just got a Challenger 1320 a little over a month ago and it has been nothing but problems. The latest issue is what to do for tires this winter. It came with drag radials and they are not great when its nice out for daily use and they suck when it rains or starts to get cold. I bought a good used 18" set of wheels with snow tires from a previous Scat Pack owner before the car arrived. We tried to put them on a couple weeks ago, but the fronts did not fit over the calipers for some reason. So I bought a set of 1.5" spacers as I thought they would work, but no I still need some more clearance. I didn't understand it, but just learned Dodge changed the design on the 21 calipers slightly and is why wheels that fit before over the 4 piston Brembo's are not working now. So I was tempted to order a new set of 18" wheels and snow tires, but am worried I may run into the same issues. I was going to order the cheapest winter combo I could find on Tire Rack for about 1.5k and they said they will fit, but I asked for some inside dimensions to be sure as I don't want to have to send them back like I will have to with the spacers and they haven't responded. I know 19's would work, but they are much more expensive for some reason. 20's are a little less than the 19's, but still in the 2k range.

Some guys on the Challenger forum are saying maybe I should just get some good AS's like the Continental DWS and put them on the stock 20" wheels and call it a day since my budget is under 2k right now. IDK, I guess that would work since I live in NW Ohio and we usually only get a few big snow storms, but you never know and I kind of wanted to save the stock wheels from all the abuse of winter and keep the setup in case I ever visit the track. Plus just the tires would cost around 1.2k. I know a reliable beater truck would be the smart choice, but I've been having trouble finding one that looks decent with good tires in the sub 1.5k range in the current market. Right now I have the 18" winter wheels and tires in the back and the stock 20" drag spec wheels and tires out front. I didn't think it was bad until I drove it during a downpour the other night and it hydroplained like crazy so I have to do something at least with the fronts.

I'm even thinking of trying to trade in the 1320 for another Mustang if possible, but know I would lose some money. I've only made one payment on it and it listed for 57k, but I got 20k in equity with my 16GT so it may be doable depending on what the current used car market does. Sorry for the long post. Just wondering if anyone on here may be more helpful than the other forums.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Wow.. spend a 70k-100K on your cars and you don't use tires to match the season in colder climates. My 2009 Pontiac G3 Wave winter beater runs 3 season tires spring/summer/fall, then decicated winter tires for you guessed it, the winter. Corners like a go kart brakes on a dime no matter what combination of snow/ice/slush/cold dry road. Those tires are worth more than the whole car.

Last edited:

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2017 mustang v6, 2008 mustang gt
It helps if you don’t drive like maniacs and drive like a normal person. I don’t get in my mustang and torture it everyday. I’m just telling my experience with the tires believe it or not I don’t care.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got a Challenger 1320 a little over a month ago and it has been nothing but problems. The latest issue is what to do for tires this winter. It came with drag radials and they are not great when its nice out for daily use and they suck when it rains or starts to get cold. I bought a good used 18" set of wheels with snow tires from a previous Scat Pack owner before the car arrived. We tried to put them on a couple weeks ago, but the fronts did not fit over the calipers for some reason. So I bought a set of 1.5" spacers as I thought they would work, but no I still need some more clearance. I didn't understand it, but just learned Dodge changed the design on the 21 calipers slightly and is why wheels that fit before over the 4 piston Brembo's are not working now. So I was tempted to order a new set of 18" wheels and snow tires, but am worried I may run into the same issues. I was going to order the cheapest winter combo I could find on Tire Rack for about 1.5k and they said they will fit, but I asked for some inside dimensions to be sure as I don't want to have to send them back like I will have to with the spacers and they haven't responded. I know 19's would work, but they are much more expensive for some reason. 20's are a little less than the 19's, but still in the 2k range.

Some guys on the Challenger forum are saying maybe I should just get some good AS's like the Continental DWS and put them on the stock 20" wheels and call it a day since my budget is under 2k right now. IDK, I guess that would work since I live in NW Ohio and we usually only get a few big snow storms, but you never know and I kind of wanted to save the stock wheels from all the abuse of winter and keep the setup in case I ever visit the track. Plus just the tires would cost around 1.2k. I know a reliable beater truck would be the smart choice, but I've been having trouble finding one that looks decent with good tires in the sub 1.5k range in the current market. Right now I have the 18" winter wheels and tires in the back and the stock 20" drag spec wheels and tires out front. I didn't think it was bad until I drove it during a downpour the other night and it hydroplained like crazy so I have to do something at least with the fronts.

I'm even thinking of trying to trade in the 1320 for another Mustang if possible, but know I would lose some money. I've only made one payment on it and it listed for 57k, but I got 20k in equity with my 16GT so it may be doable depending on what the current used car market does. Sorry for the long post. Just wondering if anyone on here may be more helpful than the other forums.
Definitely don’t drive on those stock tires.
mid just bite the bullet and order another set of replica wheels with snow tires or put snow tires on the stock wheels. You’ll probably be able to order another set of stock wheels in the spring for a reasonable amount. If moneys tight in the tire budget, sell those 18s and put those snow tires on one of those temporary store credit cards at Discount Tire and pay it off once the 18s sell.Much less than selling the car over the tires and still having the 18s to sell.
I assume those 1320s are relatively rare?
Good luck.
-J
Sponsored