Tire question for anyone driving their car in colder weather.

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
This is a thread that years ago was the same conversations. I was a forum member in the GT350 forum separate from this conglomerate of forums. A forum member argued and basically stalked me arguing the the tire temps are bs and you can drive these tires no matter what the temps. I have a personal friend who owns a tire auto center and he personally called Michelin to get the real story. The Michelin person claims you ruin the tire in cold temps and will in essence need to replace it if it’s driving in temps below 20 degrees. The tires do crack and void the warranty on them as well. I personally feel driving the car on a 40 degree plus sunny day will not do anything to the tire since road surfaces can be warmer if it’s say black top. But I can attest I just about crashed my GT500 on a cold May Day in 2020. It was an overcast day around 44 degrees and I was entering the beltway and got into her and the back end came out and I miraculously just missed clipping a car as I went by it. And then a few hours later coming back in on back roads she came out in a corner and just about crashed her again😳. I was just down in Tn and could only drive her one day along with my GT350 due to low temps and play it safe with my daughter. If you watch my video I talk about tire temps as we are driving around and had to be more careful.

in the end just swap out tires and wheels to enjoy your car in the colder months. If you have 90k to buy a car surely you have 4k-5k for a nice set of winter wheels and tires.

Yes, ultimately that's my plan. Run stock rims with all seasons in winter months and get a set of signature wheels to run summer set up. We are just starting the house building process so kinda monitoring the output at the moment. But it seems like my wheels and tires may be getting factored into the contractors budge for housing upgrades! 😉

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500 and a few others
Yes, ultimately that's my plan. Run stock rims with all seasons in winter months and get a set of signature wheels to run summer set up. We are just starting the house building process so kinda monitoring the output at the moment. But it seems like my wheels and tires may be getting factored into the contractors budge for housing upgrades! 😉
Where do you live?
I’m in Toledo area and drove a Hellcat Charger for 3 winters 2017-2020. I used V-rated Yokohama quality snow tires and loved them.
My opinion is forget the all seasons. Just run a quality R-compound tire in summer and a high performance snow tire in winter. (The Hellcat went from drag radials to snow tires and back every year)
Good luck!
-J

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Not apples to apples but I would routinely drive my GT350 on Cup2's in cold weather high 30s - low 50s without any issues (only nice days no snow or ice), I wasn't hammering the car but slightly spirited drives. Never once did the car loose grip without me expecting it. I would think that the 500 would be similar, maybe drive the car in "Weather" mode and don't be an idiot.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
GT Mustang 2019, GT 500 Magnetic 2020, 2020 Bullitt, Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Octane 2019, Dodge Charger Hellcat White Knuckle 2019, Toyota Supra Premium 2020, Toyota Avalon TRD 2020, Honda Civic Type R 2019
No worries you will be alright screw tire recommendations 🤪
BBF26669-C5AA-4485-91FE-09355F267C71.jpeg

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
No worries you will be alright screw tire recommendations 🤪
BBF26669-C5AA-4485-91FE-09355F267C71.jpeg
This photo looks like another result of a Deer specifically targeting a Mustang, while the owner was just riding obeying the speed limits. :)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Never once did the car loose grip without me expecting it. I would think that the 500 would be similar...
The 500 is worse. You won't just loose grip but rather you will LOSE grip. If you are on Cup2's and the temps are below 40°, do yourself and others on the road a favor, stay off it.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Providing roads are dry and clear, I would like to drive my car on the sunny blue bird days this winter. Temps ranging 20-40's.

Does anyone here drive or plan to drive their car in colder weather? Are you throwing an all season on? Or just driving with some sense and running stock tires?

I always swap my summer tires for winter tires on my DD and usually park my "seasonal" car come this time of year. But this car is so amazing, I dont know if I can stomach just looking at her for the next 4 months. Esp on those sunny beautiful days where the temps aren't ideal.
I'm just like you, I need to enjoy my Mustang in the Winter too.
On my 15GT I bought a separate set of winter tires and wheels and used them for 5 seasons.
I didn't like how noisy and squishy they were. Took alot of fun out of the car.
This time on the Mach 1 I bought a set of RTR Tech 7's with Continental DWS 06 sport all seasons 19" 275's all the way around. They are great!
I was out rippin around last night in the 30's and the car is just as fun as it was with the PS4S's.

Mach.jpg

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Where do you live?
I’m in Toledo area and drove a Hellcat Charger for 3 winters 2017-2020. I used V-rated Yokohama quality snow tires and loved them.
My opinion is forget the all seasons. Just run a quality R-compound tire in summer and a high performance snow tire in winter. (The Hellcat went from drag radials to snow tires and back every year)
Good luck!
-J
I'm in northern WV.

Goose17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
The 40 degree temp listed in the owner’s manual is not in reference to tire damage (cracking). It is a number Ford listed for grip, but it’s not like you lose all grip at the magical number of 40 degrees. Michelin lists 20 degrees as the threshold for damage (cracking).

It was 35 degrees the first time I took my CFTP to the track. I was actually surprised at how much grip I had after a couple laps of heating the tires. Of course you cannot run full-tilt boogie when it’s that cold, but you can have good fun with a little throttle control and judgement applied. I drive my car below 40 degrees. I will not drive my car anywhere close to 20 degrees.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It was 35 degrees the first time I took my CFTP to the track. I was actually surprised at how much grip I had after a couple laps of heating the tires. Of course you cannot run full-tilt boogie when it’s that cold, but you can have good fun with a little throttle control and judgement applied.
Some UHP A/S tires would lap you.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Providing roads are dry and clear, I would like to drive my car on the sunny blue bird days this winter. Temps ranging 20-40's.

Does anyone here drive or plan to drive their car in colder weather? Are you throwing an all season on? Or just driving with some sense and running stock tires?

I always swap my summer tires for winter tires on my DD and usually park my "seasonal" car come this time of year. But this car is so amazing, I dont know if I can stomach just looking at her for the next 4 months. Esp on those sunny beautiful days where the temps aren't ideal.
I don't blame you, I couldn't park my ZL1 all winter either. I drive it on sunny cold days as long as it's above freezing.

I've had several years' experience now with summer performance tires and cold weather (not midwestern bitter cold, but below freezing morning temps). The tires won't crack if you drive them at above freezing temps. I think the cracking is a concern more so below freezing temps.

In my Mustang, which had PS4S with the PP1 package, they were downright awful in temps. below 45 F the first few miles of driving, and beyond terrible at near freezing temps. I wouldn't drive on them at all if it was below 30 F. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which were pretty good in warm weather, and much, much better in the cold.

My ZL1 has the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3, and they are bad in cold weather, but not as bad as the PS4S on my Mustang. I don't drive the ZL1 with the summer tires if it's below freezing. A couple weeks ago I drove some very twisty mountain roads; it started 47 F at the base, and decreased to 37 F at the top. Because the tires were warm from driving, I had plenty of grip even when the air temp. was 37 F. It's really about the tire temp., not necessarily air temp.

That said, I plan to replace the OEM Goodyear tires with a set of Michelin pilot sport A/S 4 when the OEM tires wear out. It's below 45 here in the mornings for probably 7-8 months out of the year. The traction I'll gain during those cold months (turns, braking, and acceleration) outweighs the extra ~0.1 G gained during the summer on the Goodyears.

You also gotta remember if its 32 F outside, but your garage is 45 F all night, then your tires start out 45 F in the morning. They warm up more once the car is rolling. But if you drive it 15 minutes then park it for an hour or two, the tires will cool off to match the ambient temps. So, watch for that situation. Then they'll be really cold and dangerous.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 40 degree temp listed in the owner’s manual is not in reference to tire damage (cracking). It is a number Ford listed for grip, but it’s not like you lose all grip at the magical number of 40 degrees. Michelin lists 20 degrees as the threshold for damage (cracking).
Both Michelin and Ford leave room for interpretation, at times, in this regard. For legal reasons I can see why they worded this carefully and somewhat inadequately.

Ford is careful to not be specific other than to simply say they do not recommend using the tires we speak of in snow or ice or if temperatures fall below 45*. They do not specifically speak in terms of available grip as being a condition one way or the other. From the '21 GT500 Supplement...

2333.JPG

233.JPG

And Michelin doesn't draw the line at 20* (which would in essence mean that 21* and up is fine - it is not).

Image_2021-03-15_10-35-51lk.png

Michelin directs you to not move a vehicle on which the tires are installed until temperatures reach 40*. Cracks potentially at 20* or less but it is clear they don't want you using them until the temperatures are double that.

Goose17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Some UHP A/S tires would lap you.
That track is 2.7 miles. No one out there “lapped me.” The SC2s did a great job… much better than I expected.
Both Michelin and Ford leave room for interpretation, at times, in this regard. For legal reasons I can see why they worded this carefully and somewhat inadequately.

Ford is careful to not be specific other than to simply say they do not recommend using the tires we speak of in snow or ice or if temperatures fall below 45*. They do not specifically speak in terms of available grip as being a condition one way or the other. From the '21 GT500 Supplement...

2333.JPG

233.JPG

And Michelin doesn't draw the line at 20* (which would in essence mean that 21* and up is fine - it is not).

Image_2021-03-15_10-35-51lk.png

Michelin directs you to not move a vehicle on which the tires are installed until temperatures reach 40*. Cracks potentially at 20* or less but it is clear they don't want you using them until the temperatures are double that.
If the tires are exposed to temps below 20, Michelin advises to not move the vehicle until they temps are back over 40. I have driven with temps in the 30s with no issues whatsoever other than traction is reduced. I witnessed my buddy in a CFTP spin out and go 4-wheel’n when we were out driving last winter. When the temps drop, you have to be judicious with the throttle… especially when the steering wheel is deflected.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the tires are exposed to temps below 20, Michelin advises to not move the vehicle until they temps are back over 40. I have driven with temps in the 30s...
Yes, that's what I posted.

Look, there are many that haven't followed Ford or Michelin's recommendations with respect to operating when temperatures are too cold. I'd encourage everyone to stay safe and to think strongly about why these types of tires don't mix well with low ambient temperatures. It isn't just you at risk but other people on the road as well.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It's funny people on this board are against A/S tires because they are not safe yet others advocate driving on summer tires when it is too cold. SMH

16 - CJ Pony Parts - 2