Tire Dressings-which ones?

FASTCARS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RL
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Pilot & 2021 GT500
This is a great tire shine video. Scott does a super job comparing all of the different tire shine/dressings out there on the market. I use the Lone Star and it is the best that I have ever used.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I used Obsessed Garage's tire dressing on the Mustang for the first time today.

Freshly cleaned with Brake Buster -

IMG-9275.jpg

Lightly coated with the RaceGlaze XL brush, knocked back with a microfibre after 5 min -

IMG-9279.jpg

I like a little bit of sheen so the finish could be knocked back further if desired. It also leaves a nice fragrance in the garage afterwards.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
DFB: Your thoughts compared to Perl?
To be honest, I think Perl and OG Tire are just about similar, any differences are minor.

The OG Tire smells better and can be glossed up or down right out of the bottle. I use Perl right out of the bottle which can be a bit too glossy, so really needs diluting to control that.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This is a great tire shine video. Scott does a super job comparing all of the different tire shine/dressings out there on the market. I use the Lone Star and it is the best that I have ever used.
Thanks. Turns out I have a bottle of Adam's VRT (first choice without off-the car tire scrubbing first) from a mystery box promotion they did. Never used it but will today for the first time.

Buck550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sterling
Vehicle(s)
2021 carbonized gray Shelby GT500 CFTP
I really like Adams VRT but I have been using chemical guys VRP lately and it works really well for me.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I tried the McGuires Endurance and don't really care for it.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Meguiar's Endurance only for me. Lasts for weeks and multiple washes.
Sheen is controlled by amount applied.
Best method to apply is a tire sponge. I wear nitrile gloves to keep hands clean.

Screenshot_20210422-221141_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-220611_Chrome.jpg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I used a a wax applicator; I'll give the tire sponge a try and apply multiple applications and see how it comes out. I have it, so may as well use it.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Have I mentioned I'm a tire dressing collector? 🤪

Meguire's Endurance dressing is another good one. This is a product where less is more as it will otherwise sling if slathered on. Ask me how I know this.......

DSC-0103.jpg

I used AutoGlym High Performance Tyre Gel for many years. This product need to be wiped after application to avoid sling. Again, ask me how I know this.......

IMG-E2060.jpg

IMG-E2064.jpg

And a product I forgot I had in the back of the cabinet, Meguire's Hot Shine Tire Spray. This stuff is best sprayed into an applicator or you will other be misting your rims too. Again, ask me........

ap84.jpg

All of the above are not water based so need some care when applied to avoid sling. Trying so many tire products, I have learnt to appreciate water based dressings and accept that I will be applying them more often.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just cant get on with the megs endurance - to greasy and I find it hard to get an even finish (without it being mega glossy).

I'm just waiting on some Auto Finesse cream coming back in stock at the local place - it looks to be a water based product but with a sun cream type consistency - I am hoping that suits the MPSS4 well.

I have found that some dressings suit some tyres better than others so I don't think one product is 'best', even if we could agree on what finish (matt / satin / gloss) looked best anyway ... lol

e.g. I had some Yoko's on one car and they came up really good with nothing more than a quick wipe with Amour All, yet I have tried AA (both new and old recipe's) on the MPSS4 and I've not been impressed ... (but the new AA looks really nice on the mustang external plastics ?!)

WD :like:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I just cant get on with the megs endurance - to greasy and I find it hard to get an even finish (without it being mega glossy).
Glad it's not just me that thinks that! Admittedly I didn't make an effort to deep clean my tires and keep my applicator clean back when I was using it, but I remember it being a greasy experience.

I changed to a spray dressing after that; "tire shine" by Adams Polishes which was excellent. And I'm now on Yumcars "yumdress" which again is excellent. Still greasy to handle being a gel, but always finishes well - I wipe down with a utility mf to take the gloss back a bit.

I think I'll switch back to a spray bottle after the gel though, just feels better to me., even if it doesn't seem to last quite as long as a gel.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Isn't it hilarious what obsessiveness can do to ya? <chuckling>

DBF: Yep, ask me how I know..<grin> Very familiar with that phrase.

WD: No question that the tire's texture has an enormous impact on sheen and/or gloss. Ditto for cleaning them well. Dirt gets embedded with the rubber's surface and if it isn't removed, will muck up the tire shine and also add to any sling potential.

Fortunately, the Michelins are pretty smooth.

All: I still like Chemical Guys "Tire Shine" for daily driver kinda tires and I'm gonna stick with Perl for the 500.

Last edited:

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
I used a a wax applicator; I'll give the tire sponge a try and apply multiple applications and see how it comes out. I have it, so may as well use it.
Tire sponge will kick it up a few notches for sure.

I find that I will apply first "layer" then run the sponge around the tire 2-3-4 times. Let it sit. Move on to next tire etc...that seems to prime the tires. Then hit them again with a light amount and voilà - perfection. It's a little "technique sensitive" and practice makes perfect.

I love the stuff so much I bought 12 bottles the last time I was in The States!
Sponsored