Tire Age ?

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Just bought my wife a 2017 GT/CS Convertible. It has just over 4K miles on it and still has the OEM Pirelli's on it. No cupping....no flat spots....problems etc. Rides nice but, the tires are date coded 03/11/16. She drives maybe 5K miles a year as we both are retired. Replace or just roll with them? TY

Gina Mustang.jpg
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'd been pondering this myself recently. I found two references. Reads the industry has agreed that 10 years should be the [absolute] limit.

https://tweel.michelinman.com/howLongTireLast.html#:~:text=Ten years is a maximum,to spare tires as well.

https://www.continental-tires.com/products/b2c/tire-knowledge/replacing-tires/#:~:text=Together with other members of,and replaced with new tires.

Edit:

1) removed my comment, "Otherwise, continue to inspect, monitor and enjoy." From Member's advice, postings on-line and reading other stories, seems appropriate to change sooner. Ten years is the industry limit, not necessarily the best practice.

2) Inserted the word, [absolute], in my original comment.

Some greater detail on the topic:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Last edited:

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Personally I would definitely replace, tires tend to dry out and rot, especially from lack of use. Tires are self lubricating, but they have to be used for that to happen. I work in the RV industry and any trailer that comes in with tires older than 5 years get replaced before we resell the trailer. There are way too many issues with blowouts on older tires.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Most tire manufacturers have a 6 year warranty on their tires. A good rule of thumb would be to replace them after 6 years. If they are in good condition, maybe longer, but after 10 years, replace them for sure.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
7.5 years is way too long for me, IMO after 5-6 years I tend to replace them regardless of tread depth.

Those tires are known to be crap to even when new, now put 7+ years on them and they become even worse.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Just bought my wife a 2017 GT/CS Convertible. It has just over 4K miles on it and still has the OEM Pirelli's on it. No cupping....no flat spots....problems etc. Rides nice but, the tires are date coded 03/11/16. She drives maybe 5K miles a year as we both are retired. Replace or just roll with them? TY

Gina Mustang.jpg

LOVE the new ride! I just bought a competition orange GT/CS manual convertible a few months ago with low miles as well. You are going to enjoy that yellow one for sure!

As a general rule it is usually 6 years for tires but if not driven much or hard, you could extend them out to 10 years as long as there is no cracking, dry rotting, or issues holding pressure. You should be fine for the near future OP. 🍻

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
If it was garage kept you could easily do 10 years. I have 11 year old tires on my YJ and they are still soft and crack free. If the car sits outside all the time in the sun then the UV accelerates cross linking causing the tires get hard and crack.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Not much to add to what others said. If you are going to try to get more time out of them, check them thoroughly for dry rot/ cracks. If you see anything, it’s time to replace them

Sponsored
OP
OP
TEAsGrabber

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Thanks all! I'm not a big fan of Pirelli's and the OEM tires supplied by them to Ford are cost based built to get the car thru the 12/12,000 bumper to bumper. They look fine to my eyes as far as structure and I did speak with the original owner...lol (REMEMBER TO ERASE Sync INFO WHEN YOU SELL A CAR!!!) The car was bought by a collector and was stored inside of his heated and air conditioned Wherehouse. Never has seen rain etc...... Nice guy that ended up trading it for some $100K Mopar.

I think when I have it apart to re-hang the fender and ppaint the calipers, I'll get new tires........Ladies LUV new shoes!!!!

thumbnail_Part0 (3).jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks all! I'm not a big fan of Pirelli's and the OEM tires supplied by them to Ford are cost based built to get the car thru the 12/12,000 bumper to bumper. They look fine to my eyes as far as structure and I did speak with the original owner...lol (REMEMBER TO ERASE Sync INFO WHEN YOU SELL A CAR!!!) The car was bought by a collector and was stored inside of his heated and air conditioned Wherehouse. Never has seen rain etc...... Nice guy that ended up trading it for some $100K Mopar.

I think when I have it apart to re-hang the fender and ppaint the calipers, I'll get new tires........Ladies LUV new shoes!!!!

thumbnail_Part0 (3).jpg
Car is gorgeous. I loved Triple Yellow when I had mine. It was an attention grabber for sure

IMG_0324.jpeg

PXL_20210403_175329209_Original.jpeg

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
im just trying to figure out how someone made tires last that long on that car lol

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had some 5 year old pirellis that I could spin at 100+ mph easily in weather below 60 degrees. Car does have 770+ rwhp but these tires sucked compared to dws06

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD

thumbnail_Part0 (3).jpg
Great looking ride! Thanks for sharing! If we can assist with with your tire purchase, or answer any questions, feel free to send a DM!
Sponsored