Sponsored

Tips on Where and When to Buy Aftermarket Parts?

funhaver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Hello everyone!

Im new to the forum and to the aftermarket car scene in general and Im looking for advice on the best approach to getting aftermarket parts for a decent price.

I've looked around online a lot and I've visited a local performance shop as well - Im kind of blown away at the cost of some things. Maybe its just sticker shock because Im new but Im wondering if I should expect the prices on places American Muscle and CJ Pony to be par for the course?
  • Does there tend to be better times to buy? Black Friday/July 4th etc?
  • Would I be better off shopping around local stores?
  • What about buying things at shows or used?
  • Any other tips?
I've also looked on eBay and Aliexpress but they are hit and miss and often sell 'replica' items that Im not sure on the quality of.

The best example I can think of is RTR. I really like their grille and spoiler but that's going to be ~$1000 USD (Im in Canada). At the same time I can see knock-off items for a fraction of that. I don't want "cheap" parts but I'd like to know that Im spending no more than I have to if I want to keep modding my car.

Any advice from more seasoned modders would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

familyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ruby Red

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Where to buy sort of depends on what you're buying. I've used AM for a few things - just put in an order for gears and a Torsen diff, actually. But just off the top of my head I've also used Ford Performance, Steeda, BMR, UMI, Maximum Motorsports, Stranoparts, Vorshlag, MGW, and my local Ford dealer.

I've never paid much attention to "when", other than that being after I've decided exactly what I want, why I want it, and with all excitement set aside what I expect from it. An attitude that's served me quite well for a variety of cars since the early 1970's . . .

Norm

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Since you live in Canada like myself with the crazy shipping fees and weak dollar we get the short end of the stick for parts.

Depends on what your looking for.
CJPP and AM shipping includes the horrendous border fees.

Beware of other US companies. I got killed in duty once buying the FRP track pack suspension. From Leavittown Ford. Still saved $100s anywhere else I guess.

Also, odd Canadian sites do sell certain things for cheaper. Tdotperformance, WSM racing, themustangshop to name a few.

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
Beware of the seller Aftermarketpros on eBay. Tons of tempting parts which are “open box items” but they have disclaimers about not responsible if broken. It will be broken, trust me.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
If your buying original ford parts, get the part # and look on amazon, I saved a ton of money on the mufflers and x pipe. Amazon also has some aftermarket branded parts, but they are few and far between.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
If you look at the dealers' threads on this website, you can ask for forum discounts. That's usually good for about 8% off.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Best time to buy will always be around a holiday. There will be a 4th of July sale very soon for example. I've used AM, Late model, beefcake, lethal. And been happy with all. They all have good customer service. And handle returns without issue. I've always been afraid of the knock off Ebay stuff. I was raised that you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
funhaver

funhaver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Best time to buy will always be around a holiday. There will be a 4th of July sale very soon for example. I've used AM, Late model, beefcake, lethal. And been happy with all. They all have good customer service. And handle returns without issue. I've always been afraid of the knock off Ebay stuff. I was raised that you get what you pay for.
Thanks bluebeastsrt - I am wary of the same thing. I like to think it's less expensive for a reason.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've always been afraid of the knock off Ebay stuff. I was raised that you get what you pay for.
Same here, from back when "knock-off" meant Japanese origin (and not as a compliment).

Norm

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda.ca is also a good option & there is Steeda.com (U.S.) if you are ever in the states - we offer forum & military discounts too :)

Happy Modding :)

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
best time is always around holidays. subscribe to everybody's emails so you keep up on their deals. shop around the big 3 at least for the best deal on a particular item and wait for the sales.

aftermarketpros on ebay is AmericanMuscle's return department.... you can get great deals, but definitely buyer beware. i just scored a set of prepainted fender flares for the truck for $77 shipped; would have been $500 new. only some slight scuffing that will buff out easy and have to get like $10 worth of clips

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Welcome aboard.

There’s also no shame or fear in buying used parts at all; exhausts, wheels, exterior parts, interior parts, etc.

Hell, some of THE best deals I’ve scored over the years has been dealing with great folks on MANY Mustang and automotive forums.

Sure I’ve scored some excellent deals on eBay too BUT, that was pre-commercial eBay... eBay today IMO is garbage and is full of garbage sellers, it isn’t like it was when it first debuted or the few years after before the original owners sold it off and it was turned into a commercial advertising conglomerate. There’s too much “crap” on there now that when you want to narrow your search down, the returned results still brings back zillions of like-name parts that clutter the pages.

If you’re going to buy used from the forums - RESEARCH the Seller’s trader feedback, member responses/reviews about the member or take note of the length of their membership. Also if they give you an address to send any type of paper payment be sure to check it out too before letting go of your cash. If doing a deal in person, not every place is safe as we know, so pick a good public location if the parts can be transported and meet in a decent public area. There’s been too many bad and violent deals coming off Craigslist lately, so just be careful. If you’re going to buy a big ticket item and have the wad of cash with you - BRING a buddy or two with you as well...

Salvage yards can be great too for scooping up original parts such as exterior, audio, wheels, interior, etc. if you’re wanting to upgrade say a base model to one with “optional or premium” parts.

American Muscle, CJPP and LMR are all great. Keep this in mind, each of the above vendors sells similar or same exact parts at varying prices. Many of these retailers buy from or deal with the same wholesalers - it’s fact. It’s the same as WalMart and Target carrying the same item; they shop it, they procure it from the same wholesaler because they either have the liquid cash to close on a wholesale deal immediately OR one Retailer is able to get a better deal for buying in larger quantity to sell to the public for a slightly lower price. Competition, it exists everywhere.

You can get nice deals from these Retailers around ANY Holiday. The “holidays” are more hyped up and commercialized more than ever - so EVERYONE and their great grandmother’s great grandmother wants that supposed “smokin deal”, so you have to use your google, apps and hyperlinking powers to compare pricing. Not only compare pricing but who’s offering “free shipping”.

A few more notes - there’s nothing “free”, someone at some point paid for it or absorbs the shipping... so sometimes a deal looks great, but guess what, that supposed free shipping has been hidden in the “great deal”...

That “going out of business” or “sale discount” such as the 10, 20 or 30% off? Well, make sure you’re checking out those great prices at other vendors too - because sometimes liquidators or retailers jack up the original retail price THEN tack on that “discount” to where the buyer may just end up paying normal pricing in the end.

So in a nutshell - shopping for aftermarket or original automotive parts is just like shopping for shoes and tires... look for the best deals everywhere you can....

Good luck!
Sponsored